Web Template Donation?

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

I'm going to be building a website for the local B.P.O.E. Would anybody be willing to donate a site template for this? Credit would be given and a link could be attached if you do sell them. thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• akeane
  • akeane

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are a zillion free templates!
I suggest you start with
http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com/
which is one of my favorite and no link back required.

As mentioned there are a zillion free templates.
Just google free templates.

I also have a number of other sites that I visit when I have to put a website together. Most only require a link back to them.

Important to read the terms and conditions for use but other-wise you can use and change them as you please.

TTFN... Andrea
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you download a free template, edit it and make sure you copyright it. Then you dont have to link back to anyone. As you are not breaking any laws.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would take penguin's advice with a grain of salt. If you take someone else's work and change it slightly you should get permission from that copyright holder that they will not mind you do that (that is copyright it under your name and give them no credit). I know if someone took my work and modified it slightly (changed a few graphics here and there) I would expect them to ask me first. Otherwise I feel that they are stealing material that I may have worked really hard on, and maybe I wouldn't want anybody to ever use it. Hardly fair that someone should benefit completely without giving me any kind of recognition. In my mind that is stealing.

If you read this:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.html

I believe the law states that there has to be enough differences that the work would be classified as something completely different and then copyrightable:

Quote:
A "derivative work," that is, a work that is based on (or derived from) one or more already existing works, is copyrightable if it includes what the copyright law calls an "original work of authorship."

Especially read this part:

Quote:
To be copyrightable, a derivative work must be different enough from the original to be regarded as a "new work" or must contain a substantial amount of new material. Making minor changes or additions of little substance to a preexisting work will not qualify the work as a new version for copyright purposes. The new material must be original and copyrightable in itself. Titles, short phrases, and format, for example, are not copyrightable.

There must be a substantial amount of new material and it must be different enough from the original to be consider "new work".

Quote:
Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, a new version of that work. The owner is generally the author or someone who has obtained rights from the author. Anyone interested in a work who does not know the owner of copyright may search the records of the Copyright Office. Or, the Office will conduct a search for an hourly fee.* For further information, request Circular 22, How to Investigate the Copyright Status of a Work.

So that states you must get permission from the copyright owner if you wish to prepare a changed version of their work.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks BW

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts