Webmasters And Obesity (Being A FAT ASS!)

• SilentGun
  • Born
  • Born
  • SilentGun
  • Loc: SilentGun.Com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Guys,

One of the unfortunate hazards of being a webmaster (or any computer/internet related procession) is the lack of movement and activity while you actually work. This usually results in problems with your weight especially if you like eating and have a slow metabolism.

Unfortunately this has been the case for me for quite a while.

Since 2001, I have had huge weight swings going from 70 KG (155 LBS) to 120 KG (265 LBS) and then back to 80 KG (177 LBS) back in 2008 after 12 months of sports and fitness. Due to a few personal problems and lack of movement, I have gone back up to 105 KG (232 LBS) in May 2011 (loosing my fit body) however managed to drop back to 90 KG (198 LBS) in July after a strict diet.

Anyway, I added a section under my new webmaster blog called FAT TO FIT (or vice versa ) where I am going to share my experiences and pictures with my fellow webmasters in hopes that I can connect with my collegues who are having similar problems. Lets see if we can get some strength in numbers and manage to inspire webmasters around the world who are having weight problems.

Please feel free to share your experiences under this thread or under FAT TO FIT section of my blog.

Thanks in advance for all your comments.

Best Regards,

Note: I am aware that obesity does not mean being a fat ass and is actually a serious medical condition. I am just merely using a catchy line to attrack forumers attention. I do apologize in advance if it offends anyone.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sitting still too much tend to be unhealthy, basically I force myself to do something with my body 1 hour a day (and I stick to that most of the time even tho I now and then don't work out).

Anyway that seems to keep me (pretty) healthy! = )
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

WritingBadCode wrote:
Sitting still too much tend to be unhealthy, basically I force myself to do something with my body 1 hour a day (and I stick to that most of the time even tho I now and then don't work out).

Anyway that seems to keep me (pretty) healthy! = )

Having spoken to several Swedes before it seems that you are all generally brought up to be healthy, so i have a feeling that you are being modest in your reply (assuming of course you are actually Swedish).
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Having spoken to several Swedes before it seems that you are all generally brought up to be healthy, so i have a feeling that you are being modest in your reply (assuming of course you are actually Swedish).

Yes I'm Swedish. = ) Anyhow I don't know what you consider healthy but there are many who do not work out at all, witch is a shame (however if they like it that way then they are free to do so).

Many people here (most girls)(speaking from my limited experience - so it may not be completely accurate) tend to "look in shape" however they do so by eating much less and their condition isn't necessary that good since they don't work their body that much to get in shape. But they look ok and gives the impression of being in shape and I guess that matters the most to many people.

Also I wasn't being modest, I do not generally work out more than that. Some days I do not work out at all due to whatever. :D

But around 1 hour is what I tend to do. Before I got into computers I worked out more than that however now 1 hour seems to do the trick of maintaining a somewhat healthy body.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, Silentun, it is what it is: a new name for a condition that has been around for many years, when I was little, my mom and her friends use to refer to it as "Secretary Spread" . No internet or programming jobs, but from sitting behind a desk and typewriter/phone all day, many secretary's would get very little exercise and when their a$$ grew wider as a result, that's what they called their "condition" ;)
I have always worked out (less as I get older) but even people in healthy condition need to get up and walk away from the computer for circulation reasons.

I admire you for making a point to not only help yourself with it, but others too.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never workout and I sit on my ass all day behind my computer (When I'm not working at Subway), and I'm underweight... Hepatitis does crazy *plum* to you.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha I can relate. I've gone from 220 and extremely fit to 280 and having quite the beer belly, and several stops in between. Back at the end of high school I was playing soccer for two teams, one indoor, one outdoor. My outdoor team trained 5 days a week plus a game on a 6th. Plus workout practices, plus conditioning practices, plus goalkeeper practices, so all in all I was spending roughly 5 hours a day playing soccer. Was on about a 6000 calorie diet in order to keep my weight the consistent.

Ended up having a series of injuries that kept me from playing and training for quite a while, and never slowed down on the food. Was used to eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and not being concerned, to sitting around all day, not getting much exercise. Tore ligaments in my leg, broke my leg, broke my arm in two places, broke my thumb in two places, tore some stuff in my thumb and had a severe concussion all in the space of about 2 years. I've since been working out, running and starting to train again and am dropping it, but nowhere near as fast as I put it on.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey, that's the bad thing, there are so many reasons why some people could actually try twice as hard, and gain only half the results.. will power is not always an issue. (gaining or losing).

Poly.. the only difference between soccer and hockey is the ice, (when it comes to injuries, anyway) :)!
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am sure everyone could add to this but when i was 16 i got up to 145kg mite even got to 150kg and i was getting really good at computers then i found out doors and started partying like a normal teenager and then found myself 6 months later of not using the computer i dropped 50kg and got myself to a normal weight which i kept up for a few years but now starting to see the belly getting bigger.

All i know is once i can start balancing cans of drink of my belly while working then there is a problem again, until then pizza for all hahaha.
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm glad I don't have that problem. I have been in the pilot house now for a little while, but still manage to go out on tow and wire together barges. It's great exercise.

I do notice that a lot of riverboat pilots don't though. They are either sitting all day steering the boat or laying down on the couch while the boat is shut down.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts