What aspect ratio do I need to work with my widescreen TV?

• ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I purchased a 16:9 HDTV widescreen to play all my DVDs but most of them still show the top and bottom black. On the DVD cover it said that it was made of 16:9 TV but why is it still showin that? What aspect ratio do I need to work with my TV? In addition, is there a program out there that will automatically convert the aspect ratio to fit the widescreen TV I have once I ripped the DVD to MPEG?

ljCharlie
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

The movie is 16:9, but it's working on adding the black borders to fit a regular TV...

Your best bet, is to have a play with the DVD player (whether it be hardware or software) to give the right aspect ration on different screens.

Many of the widescreen TVs I've seen will also allow you to override the picture format and crop the top & bottom to give the correct aspect rations (for when they play widescreen movies on regular full-screen TV channels).

So yeah, you wanna check the DVDplayer's manual/help file (depending on whether it's a standalone player, or software player on your PC with tv output), and the TV's screen format settings.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I did check my DVD player and I did select to play it in 16:9 or wide screen and not 4:3 but somehow it's not playing it right. The override does not crop instead it stretches the picture vertically.

ljCharlie
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, in the player, it will override to make the picture fit the whole screen....

Then the widescreen TV shrinks it to make it right again...

See, normal image on a wide-screen TV is short & wide.

The DVD player stretches it back vertically to make the black bars above & below the movie disappear off the top & bottom of the screen.

Here ya go, here's a URL that might answer a few questions :)

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! I'll give that article some reading.

ljCharlie
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I'm done with that article. So to sumerize, if I have an anamorphic DVD and I set my DVD player to 16X9 HDTV, I should not see a squished picture nor any side or top and bottom bar on my 16X9 HDTV when playing, correct?

ljCharlie
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

correct
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

So it shouldn't matter if the film is 1.85:1 or a 2.35.1 if it is in anamorphic DVD, right?

I know that the 1.85.1 enhanced 16x9 works fine on my HDTV when I set my DVD player to 16x9 HDTV, but when the film is 2.35.1, the picture looks squished if I tried to fill all the spaces on my HDTV.

ljCharlie
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just tried it now and it doesn't work. I tried to play the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon DVD on my Sony DVD Player DVP-650D with my Sony KE-42TS2 flat panel TV and still the top and bottom of the screen is black if the TV mode is set to full. I did not see the picture fit my whole TV screen. Am I doing something wrong? The DVD player TV type is set to 16:9/4:3 mode. So what's the problem? Any suggestioons?

ljCharlie
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

any movie, anamorphic or not, that is scoped in 2.35:1 or higher
will ALWAYS have the black bars becuase it is not the same
shape as your tv. Sorry, no way around that.

Widescreen or letterbox was originally intended to be 1.85:1,
which is what you will find fills your screen top to bottom.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I found that out with some digging.

ljCharlie

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts