what to charge?

• natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV (blech!)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone,

I did a search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for, although if this is a multiple post please let me know! :oops:

I have done 3 sites for different branches of the corporation I work for, and am working on the 4th. Up until now, we haven't really talked much about cost because I have never charged before. For my first site http://www.jbsupplies.com I put a LOT of time in because I was just learning, and I had to learn agoracart at the same time as HTML, but I don't want to charge too much because I am in no way a professional. But I don't want to be under cut either.

Would it be ok if I asked what you all charge or if you have any ideas for me? I don't know even what the average cost of a site design is, shopping cart or otherwise. Do you charge by the hour or by the page? Do you charge for updates, like if an item goes out of stock or a price changes? Any input would be supremely appreciated. :)

PS If I violated any rule by posting the site please let me know too.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll give ya a hint, don't lower your price because "you aren't a professional". If what you make gets the job done, then you can charge whatever they are willing to pay.
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yah, I guess you're right. But what do I even begin with? I've researched an all these other site designers charge upwards of $1000 or more! I don't feel that I would deserve that untill I'm REALLY good.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it's not about what you feel your worth to them, it's what THEY feel you're worth to them..

If you're making them a website that's going to get them an extra 10 grand profit in its first year, then you can justify charging them a thousand bucks or more.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, I made my own website. using frontpage or dreamweaver. and I know that has value. Id have really paid through the nose to have someone design and implement my site, then have to pay to get it found quickly and get the search results I want.
therefore, I dont mind spending some dollars for guaranteed inclusion. but I want the service Im paying for in a timely manner. (see my question in the search engine forum). I want to be in the search engines in days, not weeks. if this young lady has made a workable site for her company, shes entitled to the average fee for that. not just her regular wage. Find out what web designers in your geographical area are charging. or maybe work out a percentage with them. get a cut of the profits your web site generates.
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. :) on the note of search engines, I just did a search for some keywords relating to my first site and I came up #4 on google. Not to bad for a beginner, huh? 8)
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats very good.congrats to you.Im older so it took me awhile :)
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

jfvb1225 wrote:
thats very good..........congrats to you............Im older so it took me awhile :)

I think I missed something... :? :?:
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL. I meant youre obviously a young person, youve done a very good job on getting your site listed highly on google, with probably a lot less effort than it took an old guy like me, who is doing the same thing with my website.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts