What country would you go to?

• Lizano
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Lizano
  • Loc: San Jose, Costa Rica

Post 3+ Months Ago

Suppose you have some cash, and you have decided to leave the country where you are and leave to another country for an undetermined period of time...let´s say the idea would initially be for 3 months, what country would you choose?

I am working for a contractor of Cisco in Costa Rica, this is the first time in my life I´ve ever lived in the same country for more than 4 years and I´ve just had it. I love Costa Rica and I used to love my job, but since late last year it has changed, or actually it hasnt changed at all which has made it extremely boring. So I´ve decided I´m going to quit, my plan initially is to leave for somewhere for around 2 to 3 months and then come back to Costa Rica as I already have a job offer, unless of course I get more interesting job offer in whichever country I choose to go.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would travel to New Zealand, I have always wanted to visit New Zealand; especially since I have several friends who live there and love it.
  • Devil_666
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Albany

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to go India a country of Brave and Respectable Kings.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Evenhost wrote:
I would travel to New Zealand, I have always wanted to visit New Zealand; especially since I have several friends who live there and love it.

I would second that. 3 of the best weeks of my life were in New Zealand at the beginning of this year. I don't think i'll ever go to a country i'll love more than NZ.

I'd recommend anyone to come to Scotland for the scenery, but not to live for more than a few weeks. You'd need to be a millionaire to be able to afford here. The rate of inflation is too low compared to the living costs, so unless you'd be doing some pretty neat work then i'd avoid coming to the UK at all.

Maybe do a tour of Europe? Seems to be the very in thing for People in the Americas to do at the moment.

As a matter of interest, what nationality are you and what sort of work would you be looking to do?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd go the the great country of Texas !
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anywhere in the UK. Listening to women speak with those respective accents turns me on. :P
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What accent in particular? Personally i find certain accents within the UK quite off putting at times, not just in England or Wales but up here in Scotland too.

If you have examples i'd love to hear them just to see what you mean.
  • Evenhost-PR
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

New Zealand, Australia, UK if you can afford it (Orkney if you want space). The US if you're financially stable has a lot of interesting places to live, just don't go to NJ :) It's dirrrty.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it quite sad that Evenhost-PR has been to Orkney in Scotland and i haven't yet i've grown up in this country all my life. As far as i recall, you're from the US Evenhost?

You'll also notice how small the country here is compared to where you're probably from, so there is no excuses for me not seeing Orkney :lol:
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I think any accent can be turned brutish and unattractive. In the south-eastern US, some southern women have lovely voices and accents, but some...well...they're Bubbas.

Mmmm, Irish and Scottish woman can be quite hot. Escpecially when they're fiesty and strong willed. But, a proper southern English accent can be quite nice too. Elegant and musical in some ways. I guess I've not been exposed to many Welsh accents, however, I'm sure I could find something to like about it.

Oh! I forgot about Australians, et al., from the southern hemisphere. Those accents are very pleasing to my ears.

I imagine it's really a matter of perspective. For me, I it's jsut a twist on the familiar. Something slightly exotic to my ears. :)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, i LOVE the aussie accent. It was a great few months over there hearing the Australian girls speaking their bit.

I would completely agree with your southern England accents too. I don't think i really like many English accents, but the accent from the kent area of England (i think) is the one i particularly like. It's just clear and nice to listen to. The london cockney accent is just horrible and painful to listen to.

In Scotland the Glasgow accent is just way way too hard to understand. I say that actually coming from Scotland too. It's just very very strong. If i was to be honest, i like the accent from the Fife/Edinburgh region of Scotland. My local area has two different types, there can be the very broad local accent which just annoys me or there is the clearer Scottish accent which is the one i sport. I was surprised when in Australia at the amount of people that understood me and loved my accent because it was so clear.

In the US, i can't quite pinpoint my favourite as i don't think i have heard enough good accents. My brothers wife is from Oklahoma and i quite like the accent, it's not too bad to listen to. Other areas i quite like would be those from California and New York.

I might also add that just south of America the Mexicans have a cool accent to listen to. As do the Canadians, Italians and Kiwis (New Zealand).
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
In the US, i can't quite pinpoint my favourite as i don't think i have heard enough good accents. My brothers wife is from Oklahoma and i quite like the accent, it's not too bad to listen to. Other areas i quite like would be those from California and New York.

I might also add that just south of America the Mexicans have a cool accent to listen to. As do the Canadians, Italians and Kiwis (New Zealand).

Hmm, New Yorkers have distinct accents, but Californians...not so much. Very generally, in the US, the distinctive accents are northeastern, southeastern and midwestern(e.g. Chicago). I might add Texas to that list, too. To my ears, Californians 'lack' an accent more than anything else. I think this is true in the western US because those areas have had shorter histories and haven't developed as many unique traits in their verbalizations...yet.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant believe nobody has said Canada yet! I've only been to Canada twice, once in a canoe in Ontario and the other time to Cardston, AB, so those times are quite piddly, but I know a guy from Montreal and another from Ottawa and they are the coolest guys I know (other than myself of course! ;) ) So I figure that if all or at least most Canadians are like them, then they would be more pleasant to be around than some of these hicks and rednecks in Nebraska.

I just got back from spending a week in Denver, and the one thing that I absolutely positively completely didn't miss at all is the old farmers around here. Probably the 2nd or 3rd car I got behind was an old guy driving 20 in a 35 mph road. That just boils my blood when these 100 year old cooters can't even see over the steering wheel but they are still allowed to operate a potentially dangerous machine. </rant>
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, if someone hadn't mentioned New Zealand i would have probably left a post not only mentioning New Zealand but Canada too. I visisted Canda back in 2006 and loved it there.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go to Canada or the USA next on my hols, i only say USA because my bro lives there. Canada is for some reason alot cheaper to fly to which immediately appeals to me.
  • Lizano
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Lizano
  • Loc: San Jose, Costa Rica

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
As a matter of interest, what nationality are you and what sort of work would you be looking to do?

I'm Costa Rican, Work, well primarily I'm not looking to migrate definitively to another country, just for a joy ride, I work in networking, I'm CCNA and on my CCSP track, so if I can get a job in that area that'd be cool..

Now last time I said that, I said I was just coming to Costa Rica to visit, I got a good job offer and ended up staying here for almost 5 years now.
  • Evenhost-PR
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I find it quite sad that Evenhost-PR has been to Orkney in Scotland and i haven't yet i've grown up in this country all my life. As far as i recall, you're from the US Evenhost?

You'll also notice how small the country here is compared to where you're probably from, so there is no excuses for me not seeing Orkney :lol:

Yes, yes SB I am from the States .:sigh:. Actually the other day I told someone I was Canadian since I'm embarrassed by my country and its reputation.

I'm over in London for a semester abroad at uni and for our 'excursion week' I decided to study Neolithic Monuments in Orkney :D I've wanted to go there ever since I was about 12 and started reading about selkies >.<

in regards to the OP: Italy, France, Amsterdam...anything your heart desires I guess :) It depends on what kind of atmosphere you're looking for, and what kind of people, and if you need or want to learn a new language.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if Canada is cheaper to fly in and out of because they are less uptight about little old ladies with crocheting needles. I was pretty close to going to the University of Toronto, but opted to stay closer to home. Their IT related degrees are as high of quality to those of CalTech and MIT, but are lesser known because they aren't a big American college. Nowadays I kind of wish I would have done that instead of the local community college.

I guess I've always wanted to go out into the mountains of central and eastern Russia also. Or to Patagonia Mountains in South America, which ever country they are in. Argentina I think, which would be nice because I saw some traditional Argentinian musicians at a thing at my high school once and that was really cool, so the rest of the country must be as neat too.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hear Brazil and Argentina are definitely worth visiting.

To be honest, there is way too many good countries to check out and i guess it all depends on what you want from the experience.

I personally would visit...

Canada
USA
New Zealand
UK (Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales)
Italy
Spain
Portugal
Australia

In no particular order.

New Zealand is great for scenery and general tranquility especially on the south Island. Scotland is very much the same as New Zealand only you get the cool rocky type mountains in NZ. I haven't ever really seen England as a major place to travel as in my view i can't think of anything spectacular other than checking out London or some cities like that. I loved Portugal when i went there nearly 6 years ago and would love to go again someday. Australia is one of these countries that you'd need to devote your whole life to actually see properly...it's just HUGE yet because of it's size it has so much to see and do. I've not yet been to America, although like Italy it's one of the many places i'd love to visit someday soon. I'm still trying to decide whether i should just go next month for a fortnight.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I would probably go to South Africa. I have always wanted to go, and the scenery seems beautiful. Either that or perhaps Antarctica. I consider myself an adventurous type and Antarctica I think would be an amazing experience that not too many people get.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Antarctica would be cool. A guy I know here in my hometown is an astronomer like myself (thats how I know him) and he has spent the last couple decades chasing solar eclipses around the world, and in 2003 he got to fly over Antarctica to view an eclipse. He's been all over other places too, like China, Russia, Italy, India, and that one island with the big rocks carved to look like giant heads that are on a hillside overlooking the ocean. I can't remember what that place is called. In 2017 there will be a total solar eclipse in North America and the path of totality goes just about 25 miles north of my hometown North Platte, so no need to go globe trotting for that one!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would want to visit Germany and revisit some friends in Canada :D
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kcotma are you an astronomer by profession or by hobby/free time?

That's pretty cool by the way that he's been able to travel to so many places because of it.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just by hobby, strictly a weekend warrior. I've got an orion skyquest XT8 telescope. I'm kind of a self proclaimed nebula hunter.
  • Evenhost-PR
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
and that one island with the big rocks carved to look like giant heads that are on a hillside overlooking the ocean. I can't remember what that place is called.

Easter Island?

And Antarctica would be cool, I've always wanted to visit and see Aurora Australis!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belize
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah! Easter Island is the one! I couldn't remember what that place was called for the life of me, but I knew as soon as someone said it my bell would be rung. (ringed?)
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me, every where is the same. Follow your instincts, good to hear some advice too but at last you're the 1 to decide. Me,? US. I don't know why, I will know when I know..
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

My top three next destinations are:

1) Spain - Have some old friends to visit and stay with there

2) Ireland - Something is drawing me there and for some reason the countryside really appeals to me

3) Japan - I haven't been there in a long time and I crave the smells, sights, and tastes on a daily basis
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as visiting countries is concerned, I'd say Japan - I've always found it the most amazing place on earth. well worth seeing.

about women's accents, this isn't about accents per se but I find that a lot of women in the UK have an unbearably nasal whine - it's like they don't produce the sound in the same part of their throat as other nations, but somewhere up in their sinuses, which makes them sound all squeaky. And many of them finish sentences on a rising accent, so they sound like questions when they're not. that majorly ticks me off...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, i think your thinking more of the English accent here. Definitely whiney.

Have you heard Australians speak? they always finish on a question, i found that quite funny when i was living there.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 42 posts