What does a website cost?

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This has always been an open ended question and every year it never fails to be brought up, 'what does a website cost?'

I dont know if any of you remember Truce, but I've been keeping up with him since he left the Ozzu community. Anyways, he wrote a blog post about the cost of maintaining a website in response to a design company's idea of what a website should cost.

http://www.atilus.com/webpost/what_does_a_website_cost/
http://coreyward.wordpress.com/2009/04/ ... a-website/

Now a lot of what a company can charge for a website has a lot to do with how well they are known and there previous client base, big clients useualy mean they do good work. I worked for a company for the summer that would charge close to what Atilus is charging. The difference is the company I worked for had contracts with Bechtel, PNL, Microsoft and many other BIG name companies. This does give them credit, but I still think there is a line that is drawn. I dont think they could sell a simple five page website for $10,000 just because they worked with Microsoft.

I'm more interested in what you all have to think about the costs that Atilus is offering, $2000 for a static website, over kill or not?
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definitely overkill.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overkill.

How can a site still be competitive when they are charging unbelievably high prices for a basic website? Who would really pay that for a site so simple?
  • findme
  • Student
  • Student
  • findme

Post 3+ Months Ago

Over kill
I don't think so
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say overkill... didn't knew those prices existed.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is why I charge hourly (keeping a detailed record of progress). Rarely do I charge a base rate. I wouldn't have a clue if 2000 would be overkill or not because I have no idea how long the site will take to complete.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Devil's Advocate: Can the $2000 static site bring in $5000 worth of business? In many cases if the quality is there it can. A well built/designed/managed small business website could typically bring in $5000 - $7000 in business in a reasonably short amount of time making the $2000 price tag a very good investment.

In reality VALUE has nothing to do with COST or DIFFICULTY and everything to do with the results.

Case in point I'm currently working on a $500,000 web application that's projected to save the client between $8 million and $14 million per year. Suddenly $500,000 sounds pretty cheap.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts