What is everyones problem with vista?

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I work at a local school and some of the techs there (the ones in charge) say that they will never use vista but im using it right now and I think its better than XP! So what is it people don't like about it or is it just they think that they are not supposed to?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always stay one OS behind, no matter what. It takes time for MS to fix all the bugs after an initial release. They were able to repair XP a lot faster than Vista but to answer your question, I'll mention a few things that make it suck the big one.

Stealing focus is number 1. Don't tell me you like it?

The elimination of the full screen CLI, which was accessible by alt enter. You probably aren't one who uses a CLI much but I do. I'm in my late fifties & I need a big screen with big letters.

Secure Desktop Mode, which is part of the UAC, is dumb. It's to protect facebook & myspace users who will click on any attachment sent to them. UAC has been eliminated in Windows 7, so I guess someone is thinking clearly, if it's true.

I'll leave it at that. Expect a long list of other complaints but since you like it, have fun with it. I wouldn't buy a new machine until Windows 7 is released.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

tastysite, I'm with you - I dumbed down the UAC so that it doesn't pester me unless I absolutely need it to, and I'm in love with it. I've actually put viStart & windows blinds with a Vista theme on my work XP box as I missed the look and the start menu functionality. ;)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The UAC is still there in Windows 7 but it has been greatly altered.

I don't have any major issues with Vista. I use it here at work and it is just fine for what I do with it.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I admit the UAC is a pain it even asks me if I want to open an new tab in the same program. but apart from that...
I do like the rename files settings just a small edit so that it only selects the name and not the file extension but its very useflull I also like the search in vista im sure xp's was not as good!

Also however good or bad you my think vista is Microsoft are stopping support for XP so I wish people would just stop moaning and move with the times, after all lots of people said they would never use XP and not look at em! :)
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I am and always will be a gamer. I know that the gaming community as a whole took a while to embrace Vista because of the memory requirements and various issues with different games.

I think vista is becoming more and more accepted. Just give it some more time. It took a while for everyone to jump onto XP too.

I currently use both. Vista on my laptop and XP on my desktop machine. Mainly because I'm too lazy to format it and backup everything that I want to save.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

Half of the Vista problem is simply the human habit of thinking what other people have suggested that you think. A couple of guys slate the OS in high profile places then before you know it half the planet hates the thing - including those who have never used it or seen it (I've witnessed this first hand). It's all about losing perspective and a sense of proportion I think. Another chunk of haters are those that expected more.

You could compile a list of gripes for any OS, and Vista is no different in this regard. Does that make it bad? Anyone want a list of XP problems for comparison? Reading the list of Vista complaints you'll find on the web is somewhat comical - such minor, trivial things that in no way warrant the aggression that is levelled towards it.

Personally, I find it far superior to XP (although don't get the impression I'm a fanboy).

By biggest beef is not being able to figure out how to get certain folders to open maximised. I'd be a happy bunny with that bugbear put to bed.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had major problems trying to edit someone's host file to make something work.

It isn't the same as xp and for nearly 7 years people are used to xp and the way it works.

Look at the screaming fools about every time facebook changes. heh.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you clear out all the junk from vista (windows sidebar, UAC, fake administrator control... the list goes on) then it is a good operating system. I am unsure how it improves uppon XP but I don't have any particular problems with vista, apart from its insanely over the top ram usage (but I have 16GB anyway)

oh, there is one thing that annoys me very often about vista.. they took the "up folder" button out of the file browser (that takes you from C:\dir1\dir2 to C:\dir1) and their file opening dialogues are ubuntu-ised, in a really annoying way (where you have to click a button to see the actual directories).
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just switched over to Vista because i had a corporate copy and didn't feel like paying for XP...

note: i installed it using bootcamp on my mac

After using it for about a month or so... theres something about the navigation that bugs me. It might just be my settings or something.. but when I installed the bumptop beta for vista I absolutly fell in love... but i think thats just bumptop lol.

That and alot of the software I use still isn't available on vista which bugs me.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used it once for 4 minutes.. as long as it took to realise what a load of crap it was.. to reboot a live linux disk and wipe the rather nice laptop that was spoiled with it and install sabayon..
  • Vatson
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

On your personal computer I have is XP and the laptop too. Yes, I do not argue, as soon as I opened my laptop, I was pleasantly surprised by the beauty of whist. But if you need me the program encountered some problems in the investigation which I had to install XP. Vista is very beautiful but consumes too many system resources PC so I choose XP.
  • Graham Bell
  • Graham Bell

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest you to switch it to windows XP, because it takes less resources and less headaches.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard there are lots of compatibility issues with vista, and a friend of mine says it slowed down his laptop.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

None: I don't use one :D
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my opinion the only benefit to vista is directX 10, which M$ are already planning to replace - and im sure games look the same in 9 and 10 (bioshock and call of juarez do) and 10 has slight fps drops.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bozebo wrote:
In my opinion the only benefit to vista is directX 10, which M$ are already planning to replace

Where did you read that?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard they're going to Dx11. Maybe that's what he meant? There's a legitimate effort on the SDK and such, I'd say they're pretty serious about gettin it out with Win 7.
  • Himalayan
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vista is not comfortable as we compare it from XP.
  • begamo
  • Born
  • Born
  • begamo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used Vista in our office, it took me 2 days to be more familiar with Vista. I have been Windows XP before I use Vista. I generally find Vista ok.
  • yomi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nigeria

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, i dont have a Vista but I lov eto see Vistas. Apart from the issue of how much resources it uses, i dont think its all that bad. How about increasing your RAM? It should make you at least at par with normal XP. Methinks...like i said, i dont use it. I just pimp my XP to make it have all those Vista like effects as much as possible.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a Quad 3.0 with 6gigs ram at home, so resources aren't an issue for me. I couldn't live with less. :) I have to use XP at work, but I've combined a vista windows blinds theme with vistart, which gives you the same search functionality from the start menu as vista. Now if I just had the explorer from vista, I'd be set. :)
  • findme
  • Student
  • Student
  • findme

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason might be XP is the most common used.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts