What Happened Between Sunday Paper Ads and Internet Ads ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just thinking back to when I, and most people I know really, used to get the Sunday paper for two reasons.

1) The classifieds section
2) The ads / sales for local stores

Then I think about today on the Internet, and how many times I see people cursing ads and the people who display them.

What happened ?
How did ads go from being something people couldn't wait for Sunday to come around so they could get them, to something many want absolutely nothing to do with ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably because people could avoid them if they wanted to with the paper. Now on the internet ads are everywhere and interfere with what you're trying to do, and their interactivity has only made them more annoying.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I mostly still get the Sunday paper (sometimes) for the local ads, coupons and the funnies. I really have no use for the classifieds.

As far as internet ads I sort of view them the same as radio and TV. They are there, they're not going to go away (so why complain), and they pay for what I'm viewing in most cases (so they have some productive benefit to me). I treat them the same way as I do TV and radio ads -- for the most part I ignore / am oblivious to them, unless one happens to be really good and catches my attention.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Coupons in local newspaper ads do rock. I don't see them as often as I used to though, it seems like stores around here are more interested in tracking overall store numbers during the time of the ads than they are about tracking individual items.

I was surprised when my brother told me the grocery store he's a butcher at actually sells things at a loss just to get people in the store at times.

--

I kind of like the personalized ads from Adsense. Sometimes the stuff is really relevant. It's the times when I have ads for stuff I don't want following me around that I get frustrated with it.

For example, I play Eve Online for a month at a time every few months. While I play I'm usually looking up things about the game with Google. After a week or so I start having ads for Eve Online following me around everywhere, even though I'm already playing the game. The ads continue to follow me around for weeks, even months after I quit playing. It makes no sense to me that I keep seeing those same ads. My only guess is that those particular ads are impression-based earners for Google and that's why I keep seeing them.

Another one that's just started lately is Mountain Dew ads. They've been following me around for a week or so now. Though, today I finally broke down and bought a 2 liter of Mountain Dew, so those ones aren't a complete waste.

I miss seeing the localized ads that Google was showing me for awhile. When that whole thing started I kept finding out about new places to eat in my area. I haven't seen one of those is, well, a longer time than I can remember at the moment. :scratchhead:
  • SunlightMedia
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think we've also become busier, more complex, and harder to please as a society. I remember a time when the newspaper funnies were enough to hold my attention for a while, but now I (regrettably) need "more".

I also look at my young kids, and what keeps their attention vs. me when I was young and wish we could turn the clock back a little. Atari and newspaper funnies were also easier to monitor from a parenting point of view lol

In a few decades advertising will likely be 100% subliminal, or completely in your face with highly targeted campaigns..... likely both :)
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Newspaper Ads show you deals of the stores in the area.
Internet Ads show you junk that isn't even a deal.

For instance that annoying lady that talks when your mouse goes over the ad up top is enough to make me not even come to ozzu as much.
  • Grubaugh
  • Born
  • Born
  • Grubaugh

Post 3+ Months Ago

SunlightMedia wrote:
I think we've also become busier, more complex, and harder to please as a society. I remember a time when the newspaper funnies were enough to hold my attention for a while, but now I (regrettably) need "more".

I also look at my young kids, and what keeps their attention vs. me when I was young and wish we could turn the clock back a little. Atari and newspaper funnies were also easier to monitor from a parenting point of view lol

In a few decades advertising will likely be 100% subliminal, or completely in your face with highly targeted campaigns..... likely both :)

Yes, i totally agree with you..
  • navidimran
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • navidimran

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Ads these days on the web often fail to target the proper niche of audience owing to which it turns a lot more annoying.
  • luke36
  • Born
  • Born
  • luke36

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most people used to get the Sunday paper.For the reason to see the classified ads section. While in the internet, people cursing ads.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
For instance that annoying lady that talks when your mouse goes over the ad up top is enough to make me not even come to ozzu as much.

I wasn't sure if you were aware, but she can be muted.
  • tee99
  • Born
  • Born
  • tee99

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the Sunday paper ads you can go directly to ads section with out browsing.
While in the internet ads you do browsing before you can go to ads.
  • bent
  • Born
  • Born
  • bent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now a days Sunday paper ads still preferable because, we can read it anywhere. Unlike the Internet ads, we must go to the internet cafe or we open our personal computer to read the ads.
  • mate
  • Born
  • Born
  • mate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Internet ads has blown things open makes it easier than ever to discover your business compared to Sunday paper ads.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts