What happened to the promised land?

• david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been a while since I have logged on and I was open to input on where are the IT positions? I graduated in 2007 with an associates degree from a trade school with a 97% job placement record. I am one of the 3%. I also graduated top of the school over medical, administration, legal, crimal justice, information technology, and the school's primary business class.
My first IT position I got was through a friend at a bar. The job was networking/everything except software. One night we were celebrating my friend's birthday and we were drinking heavily and I watched my boss/owner of the business smoke crack out of a budwieser beer can. I didn't smoke crack, but I did sniff some lines. Within a month I was let go, due to a "lack of business". I was jobless with a new habit and thats when unemployment kicked in. I collected for 93 weeks. It wasn't that I didn't look for work as much as no one was forcing me to find it. Coke lasted for nine long months before it almost killed me.
DO NOT GET AN IT JOB IN A BAR!!!
I've been working at my friends pizza place ever since, I still look for work and use the schools job search and cant find anything. The prerequisite in this area is 3-5 years experience for any position in the field.
Is my associates degree worth anything or did I miss the window(sorry apple fans) of opportunity. If it is shot can I tell the studet loan company that my degree is worthless and I won't be sending them any more money?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to hear about your plight but you definitely did screw yourself. Making a public post about your drug addiction probably isn't going to help you very much either. Not sure if your username is your actual real name but any potential employer doing a Google search on you isn't going to be pleased with what they find.

As far as your degree goes, the world of IT is a strange one where people without degrees do quite well. I'm one of them. I'm just now getting my bachelor's and I have been in the field going on 10 years. IT people tend to have better luck if they have certifications since a certification measures what you know a lot better than a degree will.

I would also advise against telling your student loan company to piss off because you feel your degree is useless. Having that debt hang over your head for the rest of your life isn't going to help your situation very much. Your education is always valuable, while it may not help you right now, it may in the future and if you are as good as you say you are then it should pay off eventually.

Washington DC/Maryland/Northern Virginia has enough IT positions to last for a long time. Getting a clearance with a past drug problem is definitely going to be a hurdle but not impossible.

Not really sure what to tell you. Quite honestly, if I saw my boss smoking crack, I would definitely quit and find something else. The fact that you fell prey to their culture speaks a lot about your character.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I graduated in 2007 with an AAS and a part time internship that turned into a full time job and now I'm painfully in a management position and have managed to not get fired or laid off (yet). Its tough times right now but I think Mr Grinch might be on to something about the quality of your character. You really can't just expect to be given a job just because you've got a diploma on your wall. Chances are you're going to have to be on the geek squad for a while before you move up the ladder.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Without sounding too obvious, but have you not tried getting an IT job from a different angle. I am sure there are bound to be many office jobs on the go somewhere. If you start off at the bottom in an office job, whether it's just a clerical job and demonstrate that you know alot about IT by supporting the IT team in the business and you prove your worth then any employer will be silly not to employ you.

It all really depends on how much you have let yourself go. If you still look presentable and don't look like you've got a drug problem and you can quit the habit then the degree won't be worthless.

You may laugh at the suggestion of working in an office doing clerical work, but i can't see how that could be worse than working in a Pizza place. Yes, the pay is likely to be pretty poor but i don't imagine it would be worse than what you are currently on. If you want to get into IT then there is bound to be no obstacles you are not willing to climb.

Remember, regardless of whether you're hooked on something you shouldn't be hooked on there was a point in time not so long ago where you had the discipline and intellegence to work hard on a degree. Telling the student loan company where to go wouldn't be wise.

I'll tell you from experience, you do not want to get into a poor financial situation. I racked up debts of nearly 20k a few years ago, thankfully i'm more or less debt free now but there were some pretty horrible times at that point. By delaying payments or cancelling payments you'll have people on your back that you don't want and you'll be paying for it in a way you'll regret in the not so distant future.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing to ponder-some student loan lenders give their borrowers a 1 year break on payments for situations like unemployment and whatnot, although you will continue to rack up the interest during that time. Check with your lender and see if they will do that while you get on your feet.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to admit I made a huge mistake by mixing personal and professional relations. I avoided the drug for most of my adult life, I've seen the things that it did to friends and other people that I knew. I can't change it, but I did beat it. All it took was seeing my heart balloon on the Electrocardiogram. I am making good progress health wise and its been two years since.

I also have to admit that when I joined Ozzu I did use my real name. I had no idea that or what usernames were for. I did not ever feel the desire to make up my own name so that no person could tell that it is me. So if future employers read this post and won't hire me so be it, I'll never know. Hopefully they won't read my others :lol:

I did recieve a phone call from a client that I used to work for telling me that they were having a situation with there network. It was 15 months after, I contacted my old employer and let him know. I didn't have to, but I did. Character is not shown through one action and it doesn't deserve be judged on one action.

The student loan thing is fine, was joking. I paid just interest for the first two years and really don't want to do that again after paying them down for three.

What I meant by is my degree shot or worthless, is in IT everything is changing. I totaly missed Vista and have yet to see or use Windows 7. The A+ exam has a fair amount of those operating system questions, so I've held back and not taken it. Is it a option to switch from hardware to software without additional schooling? In school I was a tutor for excel, XHTML, VB.net, access, publisher, and powerpoint. The office suite was 2007 and it's been 5 years since VB.net and XHTML. Mainly I'm not sure what to look for. I took a course in mysql does that mean oracle is an option? I see plenty of those types of jobs, just the word senior is the first word, case in point sr. oracle developer. How do you get to be a jr.?

Funny thought someone would say go back to school.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats where your on the job experience and certifications come in handy. If you have labratory experience with mysql chances are you won't get a Sr Oracle developer job just because of your lack of experience. You can't just go to the top, you've got to work your way up. A two year degree at a community college is better than nothing, but really its only meant to prepare you for further education and get you an entry level position.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't go back to school, it is really unnecessary in IT in most cases.

If you can, get a powerful computer and setup a virtual environment and build networks. Setup Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, create a cluster, play with Group Policies, configure Linux to talk to Active Directory and so on. There are even Cisco simulators so you can play with switches and routers.

Checkout some certification books for Microsoft, Cisco, VMWare and anything else. Look at getting a TechNet Subscription so you can play with different operating systems and applications like Exchange and SQL. Check out the Microsoft Virtual Academy.

If your interested in programming, download some stuff and start coding, I'm sure there are free or low cost solutions for you to learn on. You can download MySQL for free and get a grasp on that language which should translate to other SQL based technologies.

Go around to small businesses in your area and ask about handling their network, maybe there is someone who needs help, they may not pay much but it is experience.

Dice.com is a good search engine for IT jobs. If anything it will give you an idea on what people are looking for. Usually the job listing has a contact number and you could call and talk to HR and see what's going on. Might get you an interview.

I agree that character is not based on one event but depending on what that one event is it changes the way people view you. I'm sure you are a nice guy and kudos for kicking the habit, I've been there, but employers frown upon drug addicts. There is a definite stigma attached to it.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
There are even Cisco simulators so you can play with switches and routers.

Thats Packet Tracer. Link. I've got my whole network in my school built virtually and can simulate additions and changes before spending money on switches and SFPs and ordering fiber optic cables and junk.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

To Poster: lol welcome to the club, i watched my boss do the same thing when i worked in a bar and the scene that runs with that crowd is not nerd friendly lol as yes they do get off their face religiously. Live for the weekend party they say. Most people just put their head down and keep going as they are paying you so not surprised but i did 6 months and was let go and then not long after the place was closed down. I see as it happens to many people in the party/club scene. As mentioned above, look for more work.

But i have followed a similar path and really people have recovered from worse with some self training and dedication to the level of what we have with the love of computer then you will recover fine.

All you can do is study from home and keep working on them papers and keep looking. Odds are that if u have a degree then someone will take a interest in you.

If you really want a job make a huge sign and stand on the high way with your mobile number at sunrise and i am sure in 2-3 hours u will have something. after 500,000 cars run past. Do some factory work packing for a few weeks if u need the cash. some packing places do 25-30 a hour. easy work and better then bar work.

life is to live and enjoy.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:

This sentence was made better by the fact the person that wrote it is an Aussie. With all the Australians i met when i was in the country for a few months a few years back this seemed to be the motto followed by many. It is one of the things i loved (and still love) about Australia.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Zealous wrote:

This sentence was made better by the fact the person that wrote it is an Aussie. With all the Australians i met when i was in the country for a few months a few years back this seemed to be the motto followed by many. It is one of the things i loved (and still love) about Australia.

true as, we love to party and have fun. Don't worry......about a thing.......every little thing is going to be allll right......... haha :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts