What has the computer sales industry come to?!

• Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

<rant>The other day I agreed to go shopping with my grandmother for a laptop since she knows near to nothing about computers. After shopping around for a while we finally decided on one and then hunted down a salesperson (they were hard to find). The salesperson went through the usual spiel and then asked us if we wanted any extras. One of the extra "conveniences" that one could pay for was the installation of the MS Blaster Patch. They were charging $20 for it! The salesperson was going on and on about how important it is, until I interrupted him and said that it could just be downloaded for free. He pretty much shut up after that.
Isn't $20 just ridiculous? I could understand maybe $5...some people will need to have them install it if they don't have a second computer or a friend that can help them out, but $20 is insane! :evil:</rant>
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- I'll bet his manager didn't know he was offering that "extra"
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, he did! It was printed up on a nice little sheet with other things such as Norton Antivirus listed on it, and the guy at the service desk tried to sell us the patch again before leaving! Grr!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is definetely kind of sad. I can't believe they are trying to profit further with that. They should be giving that patch to all their customers so they won't have problems down the road.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- would you like a service policy to go with that? *Ding fries are done *Ding fries are done....(inside joke...you have to read a few prior posts to get it)
  • Thanol
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Thanol

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is the most riduculious thing I've heard of!

J/W was that a chain computer store or one of those mom and pop outfits?
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a very big chain. ::cough::BestBuy::cough:: I usually love it there...but that really ticked me off.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like going into Best buy and messing with the computer salespeople :twisted: it's always a good time to watch them squirm for the answer. Or I'll talk them about wireless till you see there eyes roll back in there head :twisted: I really have no life except for this little entertainment :twisted:
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

i might be able to say it would be worth while to pay $20 to remove the msblaster virus brought on by a lack of the patch (after the fact). but i honestly feel that they should have installed the patch on every single computer before the customers even see it! but on the good side, msblaster virus is set to self destruct on January 10th of 2004. so Worst Buy can take their price Gouging (spell?) $20 patch installation fee and stick it up their a$$. i never liked them from the git go they are impossible to get refunds or exchanges, with out a huge ordeal or argument with management.

my 2ยข
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wondering when the "Guru" became a "Super Mod?" I never noticed that and there was not a post on it. He is also not in "Meet the mods" photo gallery!

//Good job on the title Guru............. I hope that this is not old and i am a dummy who missed it!!! :D :D :brutal43: :rocol: :rocol: :rocol: :rocol: :rocol: :rocol: :rocol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cuerock wrote:
Just wondering when the "Guru" became a "Super Mod?" I never noticed that and there was not a post on it. He is also not in "Meet the mods" photo gallery!

:

You're not going senile cuerock - Bigwebmaster just restored Gadet Guru's original status after he returned from his leave of absense. I imagine his mug shot will end up on the meet the mods page soon enough. I wasn't around when OZZU first got started, but as best I can tell Gadget Guru was one of the original mods.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, that's incredibly retarded! I know salespeople try and screw you over, but $20 for a free patch is ridiculous.

I know when I go shopping for computer stuff, I love making computer salespeople think I am computer retarded then busting out all the jargen and knowledge just when they think they have me. That's when the stuttering on their part starts ;)

Fun stuff....

Although, there's times when you can't really do that. Like when this one guy was trying to sell me a dvd/cd-rw drive when all I wanted was a cd-rw drive. I kept telling him I didn't have a dvd player and I had no need whatsoever for a dvd burner even if I did have a dvd player (i have one now, this was a while ago), and he just kept going on like "well there may be a chance you will need it in the future, and this can also burn cds as well". Then it's pretty much them not listening to you and you wanted to take that dvd-cd-rw drive and beat them over the head with it. (that's fun stuff too)
  • RyTRiX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha next thing you know they'll ask you if you want a superior "underground" OS more stable than windows for only $500 :lol:

(linux)
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cuerock wrote:

//Good job on the title Guru............. I hope that this is not old and i am a dummy who missed it!!! :D :D :brutal43: :rocol: :rocol: :rocol: :rocol: :rocol: :rocol: :rocol:

actually i hacked the site and created the title for myself! NOT... seriously though... this place kinda grows on you and missed chatting here.. :-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts