What is it like in your area?

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually wanted to be a sailor... or a surgeon. you go figure....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
SB, have you thought about moving to Holywood and being an actor or writer ?

:lol:

I think we all have at one point. Don't get me wrong, it would be great. I'd love to have the same success that fellow scotsman Craig Ferguson has had in America. That would be great!

Big risk to go there with nothing and hope someone likes you though.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or you could always be like Dick Proenneke and homestead in Alaska until you are a wrinkly old man.
  • MUWhahahahaha
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London/New Zealand

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a kiwi who is living in London at the moment. I'm 20 and was sort of in the same predicament as you. Work was so so, nothing exciting but paid the bills, Lived in a small city, which had terrible small city syndrome, as in every one knew everyone else and all their business. Wasn't in a relationship, no kids, nothing really keeping me there.

So I decided to jump on a plane and come to London on a one way ticket. I have family and a friend here so it wasnt too bad, had somewhere to crash for the first weeks till i found a flat etc.

To be honest I'm not really enjoying it here and would go home in a heartbeat if i could afford to. But I'm going to live it out for as long as possible, have traveled to Europe a few times now and the traveling will def be what keeps me here and not London.

NZ jobs don't pay too well when compared to aussie, Most kiwis jump the ditch and go to oz. The cost of living in NZ is also getting higher and higher, so unless you have some amazing qualification that is needed back there the chance of a well paying job isn't too high. The average wage would be around $15/hr or so depending on the type of work.
It depends on what sort of life style your looking for, I was born and raised in Nelson, lived there all my life. Its a really lovely little city and would love to be able to live there when I eventually head home, but the cost of renting a place there is ridiculous and being by myself i wouldn't be able to afford to. But the Nelson Life style is brilliant. Everything is relaxed, no long commute to work etc, and then after work you have long sunny evenings to enjoy the beach/rivers/lakes/national parks - you just cant beat a bbq down by the river on a late summers evening, or a stroll along the beach watching the sun set. And all within a few mins drive.

I'm thinking of going to Canada after being here, I have met some really amazing Canadians since being here, and just meeting and becoming friends with them has made me want to go there, Even if its just for a short stay.

Best of luck with which ever choice you make :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I guess guys our age are in the perfect opportunity to just go out on a limb and wing it. Really we have nothing to lose, so we might as well go for it.

I've got a buddy named Chris Ogle who was a kiwi, then moved to Australia for a while, then to Germany for college where he met his future wife. He wound up moving to the US to be with her and they had their first two kids, and on the way back from a visit to NZ he was detained because his passport was a student visa and not a residential green card. So it took him and his wife almost a year of writing letters to politicians and raising awareness and stuff to get him back. And then he got a job at the tv station where I met him. He always made me laugh because he had a picture of his wife in her wedding dress that he would move around to different random places around the station, and when someone would find the picture they would say they found his wife, and then he would say "You can look but you can't touch. You can look but not too much." That phrase with his New Zealander accent was hilarious!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

I loved New Zealand when i was there at the end of Jan to mid Feb. If i recall correctly Nelson is a couple of hours drive north of Christchurch (where i stayed for most of my time in NZ). When i was there i always remembered thinking that i'd happily live and "get by" if it meant i would live in this lifestyle forever. Obviously the more money you can earn the better, but at the end of the day you've got to be happy. I would be happy if i woke up and the sun shone for more than 5 minutes before it started to chuck down with rain. I would be happy if i could just walk along the road and see the scenery you saw when i was in NZ.

Alot of people tend to like foreigners. It's a great way to meet people when you have a different accent because naturally the local person is interested in why you came to their part of the world. I loved staying in the hostels in Oz and New Zealand because you meet people from everywhere around the world and everyone wants to know you because you are doing the same as them and you are in the same country.

I think this plays a large role in my decision to move out of Scotland (and even the UK). To be honest, the thought of jumping on a plane to Thailand and working in a bar or something that appeals alot too just because i can.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you want to be like this?, SB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163978/
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Erm, Virginie makes me think of France more now...
  • kiwi_kid
  • Born
  • Born
  • kiwi_kid

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
So I guess guys our age are in the perfect opportunity to just go out on a limb and wing it. Really we have nothing to lose, so we might as well go for it.

I've got a buddy named Chris Ogle who was a kiwi, then moved to Australia for a while, then to Germany for college where he met his future wife. He wound up moving to the US to be with her and they had their first two kids, and on the way back from a visit to NZ he was detained because his passport was a student visa and not a residential green card. So it took him and his wife almost a year of writing letters to politicians and raising awareness and stuff to get him back. And then he got a job at the tv station where I met him. He always made me laugh because he had a picture of his wife in her wedding dress that he would move around to different random places around the station, and when someone would find the picture they would say they found his wife, and then he would say "You can look but you can't touch. You can look but not too much." That phrase with his New Zealander accent was hilarious!

yeah i remember throwing a lot of stones out the back between news broadcasts
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Son of a gun, I never would have thought my buddy would find me here. I sure hope you aren't pissed off at me for telling your whole life story to the entire internet.
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live in LA... right along the beach. For the industry, there are tons of studios here in general 'not just web stuff'. I'm on the visual FX side of things so I really wouldn't leave LA for too many opportunities besides side projects here in there at select studios around the world like WETA digital in new zealand or some of the studios in London or Canada. I think you can't really go wrong with LA... or a place like New York where are there an abundance of creative and progressive minds walking around. There are also some really great schools out here like Pasadena art school, CAL arts, CAL poly, Gnomon3D to name a few.

As far as quality of life goes... well, there's lots of stuff to do, but like any city 'there's a ton of people' and traffics a B*&ch. But overall I really do love it... and your guaranteed to have an experience to remember... much like New York.

Cities in the US I would consider:
New York
California
Texas/ Oklahoma

Canada:
Vancouver is an amazing city and if I wasn't in the film industry I would probably go up there... gorgeous place :)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seeming as this topic has been dug up i may as well take the opportunity to update you all.

Little over a month after posting this i decided i'd move back to Edinburgh (where i was previously studying before Oz). Been here for 6 months now and don't regret the decision, i just love this city. However the job situation isn't great at the moment although i do feel i am more likely to be promoted here than i was if i had stayed at my job up near Aberdeen.

As some of you might remember, i left a post about new years resolutions at the turn of the year and i stated how i was looking to buy property within the next couple of years. I think if anyone here really knew me then they'd see that i am the most settled than i've ever been. This gives you an idea on how much i love this city. You should all visit someday.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't you get married recently SB ? :scratchhead:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, i am probably the only moderator on Ozzu who hasn't actually been married this year :lol:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*raises hand*

Me too!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 45 posts