What is it like in your area?

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been off my work for the last week on paid holiday. I've not actually been doing anything as such other than going over the options in my life at this moment.

To give you a bit of background, i'm 22 years old and live in the north of Scotland. I've got a mixed bit of work experience mainly dealing with office administration and through this i did a variety of courses picking up the odd qualification here and there. Now, at this precise moment my job is pretty low, i'm earning enough to get by and there is no real movement happening in my life. Being completely honest, i'd say that i'm a bit unhappy with where i currently reside and would ideally be looking to move away.

I guess the advantage i have here at the moment is that i'm currently single, i don't own a home, i have no children and my job i can leave within days of giving notice. So, other than my family being in this part of the world i'm really open to jumping on a plane or bus or whatever and residing somewhere indefinitely.

It's funny because last night i watched the movie "Bucket List" starring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. The movie is about two guys who are about to "kick the bucket" (die) and decide amongst themselves to do all the things they wanted to do in their life. The movie has a "why the heck don't you" sort of theme to it and it got me thinking about my current situation. There is very little keeping me in this area of the world and i know that i'd like to just go somewhere different. The question is, where?

Having been in New Zealand and Australia recently i know i would enjoy staying in either of the countries. The only issue with going to either of those countries is the current exchange rate between the GBP and the NZ or AUS Dollar. The last i checked it was hovering around the AUS$2 to the pound rate or NZ$2.30 to the pound rate. Because i'm paying off some debts in the UK i'd have to be earning roughly twice the amount in Dollars of my monthly payments, this is only a problem if i'm unable to find a job in either of the countries that doesn't have a reasonable wage/salary.

I'd happily move to Canada too, infact this is probably my preferred destination. That or in America. My brother lives in Oklahoma, so moving there might be a possibility too.

In honesty, what do you think about your part of the world? is it good for work (any kind) and is the cost of living quite fair?

Any posts are appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Move to New York.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I totally would in a second. Seriously. I'd love to live in New York.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Washington DC has excellent job opportunities with very good salaries. Living in DC is very expensive though so you would have to commute like I do if you want to enjoy your money.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you commute, Grinch?

Thanks, I was going to post something like this, Craig. I really admire your openness Craig. Thought I would shared but you did, and I'm going to post something. Please read this:
general-discussion/fan-friendster-t89511.html#p507208
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I totally would in a second. Seriously. I'd love to live in New York.

Quit procrastinating.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd love to live in NY.... they'd never let me in though, even if I could afford it. for some reason NY was the only part of the US I ever seriously wished to visit....

SB - I'm considering moving out of serbia quite seriously, and in measuring up my options canada has always come out on top. I have a fair number of friends and relatives who have moved to canada and they have all found jobs they are happy with - both their content and the pay.... As opposed to america, canada has a reasonable social security system - america always scares me with all the stories of 'you get sick and your private health insurance finds a loophole to avoid paying so you wake up from anesthesia to find they've sold your house to pay the hospital bill' kind of thing........ maybe that's just movies but I do think that the US has nothing compared to the social protection common in europe, but canada sort of does...

also I have some canadian friends and they're bloody nice people, not that that means much - it's a big place after all... my only gripe with canada would be that it's too cold for too much of the time. if that doesn't bother you, I'd say it's a good choice.....

have you considered somewhere else in europe? spain, portugal? very comfortable lifestyle, and portugal is pretty good as far as life expenses are concerned... don't know about the salaries though, and it would involve learning a language. but such a beautiful country - might be well worth it..........
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whatever you do, don't choose South-Africa ...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
How do you commute, Grinch?

I take a train.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know your second and third paragraph there are pretty much exactly what I've been thinking lately. More on that in the hours to come, I gotta run, network problems! :(
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Come to England

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO everyone else is here...hahaahahaha

They come for:

Social Security so free meds:

A conversation in a chemist shop between a dark person and the white chemist. 'How come if you don't like it here you don't go home'? (I came in mid conversation) She answerd ' don't be silly, its not free in Packistan'!

A free car and all that entails, all you need to do is hobble into their office fake some weird illness on a stick and hey presto...no checkups once you choose the car then they wonder where all the money is going to.

I had to visit their office once and because I picked a book off the table they failed me for sick purposes but others seem to know how to act.

Free housing through that use of the stick and llness then you also get housing benefit...and council tax benefit.

If you drink to excess and need a drink before 8.am then thats extra...gluuuuuuuug....gluuuuuuuuuh...haahahahahaha

If you need to go to jail you'll be much fitter when you are released and cry to be charged aagain. Gyn
mnasium, tele, games room. Probably meals on wheels too.

Its a joke and Brown talks of not wasting food, he needs to get his act together and spot the fakers.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that plays a large part in my decision to prefer moving outside the UK. Without trying to sound rude, but i can't see myself ever living in England unless i was offered a job i just couldn't refuse.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

//you'd be amazed how having a vpn drop can cause stupid idiots to get on your nerves.

The only time I've ever been outside of the US was when I canoed into Ontario and once when I drove to a town called Cardston, AB to have "western food" in a chinese restaurant (short story, don't ask), so I don't have a whole lot of a world view. I do however have a 2nd or 3rd cousin who is a pilot based out of England, and his wife is a former flight attendant from the Phillipeans. He loves it in London, but she hated it. He is only a few months from retirement right now, but about a year ago she moved back to the farm here in Nebraska because she couldn't wait any longer. So that is pretty much my thing with England is you either love it or hate it.

I live in a town in Nebraska called North Platte. It is pretty much in the geographic center of the state and almost in the nation. We've got about 25000 people and pretty good services like internet and retail stores and stuff, but I think this is about the biggest town I would ever live in. My sister lived in Omaha a few years ago, and once we were visiting and I watched the evening local news and decided the big city didn't seem like it would be a great place to raise a family. There was a story about a drive by shooting, stuff about meth labs getting more common, a story about how kids get abused in private day cares in peoples homes, just all bad news. I have an aunt and uncle that live way out in the middle of nowhere in Montana. They have dial up internet but pretty much only use it for email, and no television, no cell phone, not a whole lot of the stuff that controls everything we do in our busier lives. They live pretty self sufficient, which I think is awesome. The down side of where they live is that they have to stock up big time on supplies before winter because they might get snowed in, and if they do get out to a grocery store they have to make a day long trip out of it. But in a way that disconnection almost sounds appealing to me. My aunt home schools my cousins, and my uncle makes pretty good money as a forest fire fighter, he's in NorCal right now working on those and he got to fight the big Yellowstone fire in the 90s.

But I'm kind of at the same cross roads as you, SB. I'm in a good steady job that pays good, especially for a 21 year old single guy with no kids. So you and I are pretty similar in our situations. I like the work that I do, doing general computer and network admin stuff in city hall, but I'm just getting burned out on it all. I do computer repair and network consulting on my own outside of work, but after 8 or 10 hours of it all day long I just don't want to even think about it when I get home. My biggest thing I dislike with my work is that it is horribly inconsistent. I can spend days on end just sitting at my desk in my office with no windows surfing the web just waiting for something to happen, and then the very next day I might not even step foot in my office. My sedentary job is taking it's toll on me too, I've gained unnecessary weight over the last year but in the last few weeks I've been taking care of that. What I am looking for is a guaranteed paycheck twice a month like I have now, but where I am actually doing something, a job where I am working with my hands. I love it when I have to go pull cable or climb up on a roof or something because I am actually working, I'm actually doing something. Last week I pulled cable in the dog pound, and it was hot and dirty and smelly, but I loved it. It was the highlight of my last several weeks. The 4 or 5 hours I was crawling around that attic space flew by like it was only a matter of minutes.

In fact, I just had to stop typing so that I could go around the building with a locksmith to change batteries in our RF card door key system thingamabobber, so it has been a while since I've been typing this. And that was fun popping ceiling tiles and opening up controller boxes and stuff. If I could find a job doing service work like that, I think I would be a lot happier.

One reason why I despise my town I live in is because we have a bunch of rednecks and hicks. I went to high school with a guy who dropped out when he was 16 so that he could be a paid plumbers apprentice. Then when he was 18 he married a 32 year old lady who just by coincidence happened to have the same last name as him. Thats weird, but not as weird as this: She had four kids from previous marriages, and the oldest of which was 16. So this guy I went to school with is only two years older than his oldest step child. That is why Nebraskans have a reputation and bad image of being imbread redneck hicks and one reason why I want to get the heck out of here.

So I figure I have a few options. I can stay here and tough it out but be miserable. Or I can stay here but do other work. Maybe I could leave here and head for the mountains and find any sort of manual labor type of work, I'd really like to get into forest fire fighting like my uncle. My final option is military service. I'm an army kid, my dad retired from 25 years in the army. My dad has told me I don't have to follow in his foot steps, but he thinks everyone should serve their country at some point. And being a soldier or a marine would certainly get me far far away from my desk job. The thing that is holding me back from that the most now is my physical fitness, but I'm quickly improving that with good results.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry everyone, I just saw my last post and realized I wrote a novel. Please don't fall asleep reading my life story!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D
No it's great thanks for posting and reminding, I'd like to read it soon.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Marine is capitalized by the way. Always.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, typo. But right now I'm not a real Marine, just a wannabe Marine. I'm not even a poolee yet for crying out loud.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

That novel really interested me so you'll find me back to read it all over again...lolol

I liked this:

have an aunt and uncle that live way out in the middle of nowhere in Montana. They have dial up internet but pretty much only use it for email, and no television, no cell phone, not a whole lot of the stuff that controls everything we do in our busier lives.

Funny my friend and I were talking about the energy hike and what it will mean for those people out of work, Examples. The elderly, the poor, the sick. I said my supplier had asked for an extra 2 quid on top of what I already pay and for a one bed bungalow they know what they can do, so I suggested hibernating. Getting out of bed for only bathroom and meals. With a leci blanket and a tv in my bedroom, food in plentyful supply I am made lolo

So your people have the right idea, conversation is not lost either with no TV to watch. It must be great to be so isolated away from youth etc that you must shop for weeks...fantastic!

Reading the bottom portion I would advise you to join up, Army, Navy etc.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grinch its just a forum for friendly chat not an English lesson.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

suzie wrote:
Reading the bottom portion I would advise you to join up, Army, Navy etc.

The other problem with that is that I won't be able to just run off and do what ever I want on a whim like I do these days. Example, just last night my dad and I decided that this weekend we are going to canoe the Dismal River this weekend, which is pretty remote and a three day trip if you do the entire thing. In the military you would have to plan ahead well in advance and then learn to deal with it if you had to change plans at the last minute.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds fun with dad so just enjoy think later.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It all goes down to how an area is in your memory. Whilst i am trying my best to enjoy this local area i just can't.

Without being too much of a drone, but i've grown up here throughout my life having only ever moved away to live in Edinburgh for a year then off to Oz and new Zealand for about 6 months. School was sort of crap for me for numerous reasons (none that i'd really like to get into) and as a result i don't have many fond memories of this area.

Edinburgh on the other hand i absolutely loved and so far realistically i'm leaning towards moving there again. The thought of taking this opportunity and going elsewhere also appeals alot. It would be great to just go to the other side of the world and start a fresh, Meet new people, start a new career etc etc. The main reason i went to oz was for this very reason. I just knew that when i do settle down (which i'd like to do soon) i probably won't get this opportunity again until i retire as i'll probably get married and start a family, i might also have a home and a good successful career that i wouldn't be keen on leaving.

People say to me that i'm still young at 22 years old to do all the things i'd like to do, yet because i've now been out of school for 5 years i feel pretty old. To be honest, i don't see myself any further on in life than those who are leaving school right now which is kinda stressing me out a little bit.

Whatever will be will be.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

suzie wrote:

Grinch its just a forum for friendly chat not an English lesson.

I am well aware of that but it is a respect issue with me considering I served as a Marine for 9 years. kc0tma isn't the first I have corrected on this forum for the same thing. I guess you can say it is a pet peeve of mine.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch even corrected me once because I typed Corpse instead of Corp(s) by total accident.

Is there an "s" on the end of Corp(s)?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes there is - Marine Corps.

my ideal job would be something like diplomacy, where you get posted to different countries for 3-4 year mandates, and then spend 2-3 years at home... then do it all again... I'd love to just keep moving from country to country, i really need a change...

my grandfather was in the diplomacy, as was my father - but that all ended when the old Yugoslavia fell apart (my father's side of the family is Croatian, and we live in Serbia, so when the country fell apart they couldn't be in the ministry of foreign affairs any more because they weren't nationals of Serbia.... sucks) I suppose if the country hadn't fallen apart and my father had had his full mandate in the diplomatic corps (there's that word again :D ) I'd have probably followed in his footsteps.... this way I haven't got the connections I need....

It's not just something you get into.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry SB. ;)

This is a marine corpse, perhaps the only exception.

Attachments:
marine-corpse.jpg

marine corpse
http://flickr.com/photos/67785918@N00/626247024

I figure you already know there's no disrespect intended grinch. ;)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahahahha here's another one....
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB, have you thought about moving to Holywood and being an actor or writer ?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, while he's at it he can look into becoming a fireman, airforce pilot or ballerina :D

it's what we all wanted to be before we grew up, isn't it....
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wanted to be a Vet ...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information