What makes you more mad Spyware or a Virus?

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

What makes you madder spyware or a virus? I have talked to people and they say Spyware because you bought a product from a company and they took advantage of you and your computer.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Virus's cos it makes your computer more vunerable.

Why in hell do people have to make other people's lives miserable by creating and sending out virus's to others, just because they have nothing better to do with themselves and because they despise those and everything around them!

It makes me sick!!!
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

totally agree about that viruses are the worst! But then again my virus software automatically detects viruses and gets rid of them automatically but i have got to scan for spyware as i have got personal addition of adaware.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

most software you buy doesn't have scumware (spyware & adware collectively) in it. The reason a lot of free software has scumware in it is becuse its free.
  • fional24
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • fional24
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

spyware, definately. Viruses are annoying, but spyware does make me worried about my info security.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive never had a virus... maybe one day id like one for the fun of it o.o

or maybe not, i dont know, id have to say none, I do not care for them... plus (ultra elite spyware removing I have software/no downloadeding illegal files= no viruses)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Foxy wrote:
or maybe not, i dont know, id have to say none, I do not care for them... plus (ultra elite spyware removing I have software/no downloadeding illegal files= no viruses)

nuff said....

I know I said this on a different post yesterday, but it's still what I think:

I had a virus once and it was <b>entirely</b> my own fault. That one was kinda like the face-hugging things from Alien though - you couldn't remove it without killing the entire system :roll:

Taught me my lesson. How much does half-decent antivirus software cost you people? And how much does it cost to be careful? Unless you end up with some uber-powerful brand-new virus, the chances are it's your own fault.

Plus, if your computer is secured, the chances are that the spyware has to be <b>"invited"</b> onto your system. Yes, invited. Along with all that other useless crap you installed...

@secure IT, how many legitimate, reputable, commercial products come with scumware, as rjstevens calls it? Surely you are talking about dodgey, cheap or free software? Surely?
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am quite bad for downloading software that i dont need or will hardly use and 9/10 i get tons of spyware from free programs.

But sometimes its worth getting the software for free even if it comes with spyware/

When ever i install something free i always run a spyware scan and it always picks up loads of crap.

Since i have been using firefox it has not really been bothering me like it was when using IE (coz with ie you get loads of pop ups)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

i didn't actually say which one i hate more, did I.

Well here's my answer: neither

When I downloaded my mail today, there were two that were quite obviously viruses.

I laughed at them.

Did I mention my switch to linux? I am typing this from a linux box which is 100% immune to all those windows viruses people are always complaining about.

As for spyware, who in their right would write spyware for linux?

You gotta love fedora, BEST OS EVER (except FBSD, if you can get that working)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hahah ya beat me too it! I haven't had to deal with the stuff on my PC for over five months now

I do however have to admit that I'd rather deal with a virus then spyware. Spyware and virii both open your computer, but spyware can open it a bit further by constantly sending information to the original creator, etc. Of course there are virii that do this aswell. Point at hand, Virus=spyware=virus. It's something you don't want on you computer. (period.)
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
Did I mention my switch to linux? I am typing this from a linux box which is 100% immune to all those windows viruses people are always complaining about.

As for spyware, who in their right would write spyware for linux?

Don't get complacent. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it isn't there. There are plenty of virii for Linux and Unix, there just aren't as many mental midgets running those systems, so any nix virus doesn't get very far. Remember, just last year, there was a Linux worm that went around the world. It got little press because, well, it was linux. Also, it was, apparently, designed to actually fix the vulnerability it used to get in. Still... it was a virus for linux.

The more prevalent Linux gets at home, the more spyware there will be. The market for adware and spyware makers on linux is still too small for them to bother spending their resources writing Linux version of their software, but that will change.

The same was once said about Mac. There still aren't too many Mac virii our there (because Mac is a pain to write programs for... much more difficult than Linux, in fact), but there are a few. There ARE spyware and adware programs for Mac though, because the market is there... The same thing will happen with Linux eventually. It's just simple economics.

.c
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Theres Less viruses for Apple/Macintosh and *nix, because, they know the majority of the people use Windows, and will be hit more, maybe also, hidden anger towards Window? and half people are to lazy to
format them for other systems :P

also, turn off activeX on I.e or, w/e browser you use, thats how they secretly install spyware when you visit specific sites/etc(but not installed by free software) By the way. and pay for your own software, and you'll have hardly or close to nothing of spyware...
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

virius or spyware more annoying... hmm...

yes
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spyware is much much more annoying because they have the cheek to stick in extra files, its almost as bad as sites that make themselves your homepage and add a whole set of fav's
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spywares are much more annoying. Although they work kinda the same way (behind the scene, you don't see it happening), at least with virus, you don't have to stop the spywares or change the homepage everytime you log on the computer. It's like, with virus, you get shot once, right in the head and that's it. With spywares, it's more like you get biten by a bunch of annoying mosquitos until you're so pissed off you kill yourself.

And, although both spywares and and viruses suck, I have more respect for virus writers.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

blizzy wrote:
And, although both spywares and and viruses suck, I have more respect for virus writers.

Yes, most of them are camplete geniouses. They can actually point and click and type a couple of words into a virus-making program (I don't even care what the correct term is). Thats almost as hard as making an M$ Word document. It's incredible to think what the youth of today can achieve when they set their minds to it.... :roll:

Yes, the intellegence need to "create" a virus - at least most of them, is the same level of intellegence required to throw a rock at a window - basic motor functions are all it takes.

Now <i>some</i> writers of viruses are skilled programmers, but they are definately in the minority. They are also w***ers.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

oi... I have no respect for virus writers. They're only purpose is to do something disruptive and illegal. Basically, the only thing a virus does is make other people have to do a bunch of work to clean up the mess you make. Virus writers should all be banished to an Amish farm for the rest of their lives making furnature and cleaning up goat crap... Never to lay eyes on a peice of technology mroe advanced than what humans had in the 1800s. ever.

Spyware, as annoying it is, is a business model. People make money with it, so at least there's a motive other than simply causing havoc around the world. I'm not saying it's right, I'm only saying that producing spy/adware is much more justifiable. After all, except for when someone uses an exploit to install spyware, which is just as wrong as releasing a virus, at least users have to either click OK to install, or install it with something else (usually, the EULA mentions the adware). If you're installing pirated software, you deserve it... You call the storm, you reap the whirlwind.

.c
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

at least spyware is not as damaging as virus.
personally i dont like virus.

it is negative impact on me.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

madmonk spyware can do much more damage than most viruses do.

I have seen a computer that was so slow due to spyware that you simply couldn't use it. The spyware took up about 3 quarters of the (admittedly very small) 1GB hard disk. I think the guy would much rather have had Sasser or Blaster.

In comparison, most viruses nowadays don't even delete files, and the only way that they slow down your computer is by replicating themselves.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

unless you get a virus that deletes your harddrive :P
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally think that viruses are the devils mother. If one does happen into your system, it wreaks havoc. Luckily, I havent had to deal with somthing like that for quite a while. *Whew* ;)
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:

Yes, most of them are camplete geniouses. They can actually point and click and type a couple of words into a virus-making program (I don't even care what the correct term is). Thats almost as hard as making an M$ Word document. .....

Now <i>some</i> writers of viruses are skilled programmers, but they are definately in the minority.

Isn't that the same for everything, let's say web designing? Virtually anybody can design a website, but how many of them can make decent websites? And just a few among those can gain the respect as skillful web designers. (Fortunately OZZU is one of the places they appear more than other places).

Now when i said I have respect for those skillful virus writers, i don't respect their motive as to destroy other people's computers, but their talents. It's like Hitler or Napoleon, everybody hates them, but their talents should be acknowledged.
Anyways, enough ranting
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got two viruses on my computer last night. One of which literally opened 1000 windows in 10minutes and I could do nothing to stop it.
I went into total panic overload and was desperately trying to open my anti-virus software. It finally deleted them after the windows started to slow down cos of the lag on my computer and I had time to get them scanned and outta here!

I HATE VIRUSES!!!
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ooh good question. I guess viruses; 'cause they're more likely to make me lose my files...
  • Rogue Forces
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Kentucky

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a hard one to answer because I hate both. Antivirus software does a good job of smoking the viruses though so I will have to say spyware. As said earlier, it really can slow a system down plus it compromises personal and corporate security.

However, BOTH SUCK!!!! (and smell funny too!)
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could theoritically make 1000 popups on a site.....

are you sure it was a virus?
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah sure of it cos my anti virus software caught it and they were'nt pop ups...they were windows opening one after the after in quick succession
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh that sucks
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Strange actually how so many people are saying:
Quote:
because a virus can do more damage

no one here has picked up on the fact that a virus does not have to be destructive in nature, only self-replicating.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I onced went to a site, that had 500 popups... after 100... and saying 'running low on recourses' I just forced quit -.-
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts