What should my new Cell Phone be?

• montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

Guys i about to buy new cell, but i am confused about between iphone4 & samsung galaxy S. If i check online ratings, its head to head 6:6. http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/3 ... _showdown/

Guys what you suggest.
Thanks
:)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Online product and service ratings are dominated by marketing people these days. It's not a bunch of random people as they lead you to believe.

Go into an Apple store and try out an iPhone 4 for yourself. Then go into whichever store carries the Samsung Galaxy and do the same with it. You can't go wrong by actually trying the phones out before you buy them.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great advice.

I've been using an old (it would seem nowadays) iPhone 3G phone for a year now. It's been a bit problematic of late, and like other people when i upgraded the software to iOS4 it started to play up more.

That being said, i don't think i'd have any other phone other than the iPhone. I won't be changing my phone for another year yet, so unless something comes out within the next year that really catches my eye i'll be going for the next gen iPhone, probably the iPhone 6G or something.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am still using the first iPhone, my wife has the 3G and she seems to have more problems with hers than mine. I thought about upgrading to the latest iPhone, but have heard too many complaints about it so I will probably wait for a future release before upgrading.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Nexus One running Android 2.2 and love it. I'd definitely recommend checking out some of the new Android phones from HTC and other manufacturers depending on your carrier.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all guys........
What i like about the iphone is its crystal clear resolution even if u zooom it. But at the same time its drawbacks http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/3 ... _iphone_4/

:shock: :hmm: :shock:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
What i like about the iphone is its crystal clear resolution

What Apple did going from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 was double the number of dots used on the same size screen.
Both devices use a 3.5 inch diagonal screen, the difference is that the 3Gs has 163 DPI and the iPhone 4 has 326 DPI.
Apple also seems to have put more effort into the brightness/contrast/lighting with the iPhone 4 to make the increased DPI "pop".

Typical PC monitors use anywhere from 72 DPI to around 120 DPI.

Given that the Galaxy has a 4.0 inch 480x800 resolution which figures out to 384,000 total pixels,
and the iPhone 4 has a 3.5 inch 640x960 resolution which figures out to 614,400 total pixels
the iPhone 4 has 1.6 pixels for every pixel the Galaxy has and it packs those pixels into a slightly smaller screen which results in more detail.

--

No Flash support -- Technically, competing devices don't support Flash either. They support a stripped down version of it which works just well enough to play video that decimates batteries. The "no flash" argument is like one college kid being picked on for never getting laid by another guy who slept with a prostitute that has AIDS.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow nice explanation ...... thanks....
but some times i feel like iphone is paranoid.... :P
Quote:
The "no flash" argument is like one college kid being picked on for never getting laid by another guy who slept with a prostitute that has AIDS.

hahahahahhahah....
  • sase_95
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Neg, MK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dude I suggest that you buy iPhone 4. Here are so features:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

a.k.a Great looks, great design, cool graphics, iPhone 4

Quote:
What i like about the iphone is its crystal clear resolution

I totaly agree on this one. The theme is like alive!
Moderator Remark: Edited to create link.
  • cati
  • Born
  • Born
  • cati

Post 3+ Months Ago

samsung galaxy is the best
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about the Nokia N900?
  • Bloody GangBang
  • Bloody GangBang

Post 3+ Months Ago

nokia is gone to become *plum*
Samsung Galaxy S or some other phone with Android OS
I like my galaxy - it's better I ever thought!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bloody GangBang wrote:

Is this just your opinion or do you have a reference to back up your statement?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
Bloody GangBang wrote:

Is this just your opinion or do you have a reference to back up your statement?

It sounds like an opinion, however i am inclined to agree.

I always had Nokias, maybe once in a while i would change to another type but generally it was always Nokias. They used to have the best phones around. The Nokia 3310 was solid, and battery life was great. The last one i had was very plasticy and generally of a poor build. Software wasn't nearly as good as older times and it just failed. The iPhone i have now isn't better in terms of software, but build wise it's done pretty well. Still looks as good as new and i've owned it for over a year now.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a box full of old Nokia phones. They've served me well over the years. I think Nokia has fallen way behind as far as smartphones go though. Nokia seems to be trying to imitate Blackberry as far as smartphones go.

Not to say Blackberry makes bad phones, but if you're going to spend Blackberry size money on a Blackberry style phone, you might as well get a Blackberry phone.

Blackberry was the first "smartphone" if I remember right.
  • flashfango

Post 3+ Months Ago

the system is the keypoint, and i think Android system is better than any other systems.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've read a lot of technical articles about the iPhone 4... the antenna problem that people are facing is because the metal wrapping that you can see around on the edges, acts like an antenna.

I can't find the particular article which I read (The author was a person who used to work for Apple on iPhone), but here's a good one

I'm using the iPhone and absolutely love it... hate the fact it doesn't support flash, but I still love the iPhone 4.

Why does it not support flash again?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Android phone has a beta Flash plugin so I have Flash functionality, and honestly, I'm thinking of getting rid of it. The only thing I really use Flash for is YouTube, if and when I ever watch videos on my phone, and I have the YouTube app for that.

The only thing Flash has added to my phone is the ability to render annoying banner ads on websites.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
The only thing Flash has added to my phone is the ability to render annoying banner ads on websites.

:lol:

Youtube works on my iPhone without the Youtube App... I guess Google is just cool like that.

What I'm having problem with is that when I try to watch a vid on some site, it's mostly Flash... of all the sites I've come across on my iPhone, only 2 have used Quicktime (I think that's what it's called) and like 200 were flash.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doesn't the iPhone play YouTube videos in the app by default?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know... I just go to the browser type in youtube.com and it works like a charm... maybe google found a way to transfer me to the app (or use the app) without me noticing.

Usually if I go somewhere or click a link that is the app, the browser closes and the app opens... I can see the transition. With youtube, I don't see anything but a page loading like any other web page would on my iPhone.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I don't know... I just go to the browser type in youtube.com and it works like a charm... maybe google found a way to transfer me to the app (or use the app) without me noticing.

That's exactly what it does. When you go to a video on the Youtube site it will load it up using the Youtube video browser. It is only obvious when you see the "done" button at the top of the screen and if you were to click on that button it will take you back to the YouTube app instead of Safari.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
My Android phone has a beta Flash plugin so I have Flash functionality, and honestly, I'm thinking of getting rid of it. The only thing I really use Flash for is YouTube, if and when I ever watch videos on my phone, and I have the YouTube app for that.

This made me think of an article I read yesterday about not having Flash installed on a Macbook Air resulting in an extra two hours of battery life [wired.com]

The hilarious part about the whole thing is that the people running the test couldn't come up with anything better to test everyday usage of Flash with, than websites with Flash advertisements.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly. I was pretty excited when I installed the Flash plugin, until I realized I pretty much never use/need Flash on small-screened mobile device.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

All Macs won't have flash support in the future? Don't know about you, but I think that's the silliest thing I've read today so far.

Most great games are for Windows... what would there be left to do on a Mac but read articles on the web? Flash is also used for games.

I understand that there won't be any annoying flashing ads in flash anymore, but wouldn't they be replaced by flashing gif ads or html5 vids os something similar? Removing flash would only replace ads to something more which could either increase load time, make it worse... not every company could afford the best, or not every developer would be able to do a better job.

Yes, Flash is really unneeded in Mobile phones not only because of the small screen but the inconveniences of the keyboard or touch keyboards.

One of the comments there has a very good point... if the flash are paused on a site when you aren't in that tab or if the flash is out of view then it would drastically improve the heating of the CPU and the battery life. What is Mozilla/Google/Microsoft/Apple/Other Browser creators thinking?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
All Macs won't have flash support in the future? Don't know about you, but I think that's the silliest thing I've read today so far.

I don't see where you read that. The article states that Apple will be shipping Macs without the Flash plugin installed. This doesn't mean it won't be supported; you can still download and install it yourself.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Bogey wrote:

I don't see where you read that. The article states that Apple will be shipping Macs without the Flash plugin installed. This doesn't mean it won't be supported; you can still download and install it yourself.

I must have misunderstood the article. I do that sometimes :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Exactly. I was pretty excited when I installed the Flash plugin, until I realized I pretty much never use/need Flash on small-screened mobile device.

I wonder how long it will be, before Apple drops a commercial along the lines of

Quote:
You know all of those annoying animated talking advertisements you guys hate so much? Well they require Flash, you know, that thing we don't include on the iPhone...

Come to think of it, where's the "I'm an iPhone" and "I'm an Android" commercials playing off the old Mac VS PC ads? Some of those should be downright hilarious! :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone still have a Google G1, or is it officially the "gone" now ?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is that the same thing as the Nexus One? Because that's what I have.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 50 posts