What is there to do ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let's assume I'm an American with roughly 5 years of experience but for the most part am still relatively new to web design, having no formal education.
Let's also assume that all of the entry level jobs are being outsourced or given to college students.

What would be left for me to do ?
Would it be a good idea to cut my losses for those five years and move on, or is there another option ?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you mean when you say "move on"? You mean another profession?

Most of the people I know who do hiring in the field complain that a resume is no indication of talent or ability. Most of the HR people, however, are handed guidelines for hiring candidates that include some sort of formal education plus experience.

Is there anyway you can add anything to your resume that indicates an advanced education? Can you sign up for a degree program at a local tech-college?

Also, you might want to look at the process of applying to a company as a marketing campaign. You've got to sell yourself as someone with ability and real-world experience. Present yourself as a known quantity and not someone who sluffed their way through the university's lack-luster "media" program (trust me, you can spot those cats coming from a mile away and there's a lot of them).

On the outsourcing issue; Outsourced work is rarely a 1:1 proposition. I used to work for an application development group who outsourced some programming work. The company spent so much time reviewing code and fixing bugs, that it would have much cheaper to have done the work in house to begin with. This was also in addition to major communication problems.

Lastly, there's always the option of going it alone. The entrepreneur course.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Lastly, there's always the option of going it alone. The entrepreneur course.

Bingo! That would have been my first suggestion.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, I don't even know where or who I am anymore.
I'm just lost, and bored. :scratchhead:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts