What will be after email?

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just reading a article on my RSS site http://tuxdoc.com/?p=4096

This got me thinking, if email is really made useless which i don't see that happening for a very long time as soo much is built around it. What system could replace it, that would better the message system that it is today. Reading on company's are attempting Facebook style social sites which is interesting but i don't see how much that would improve.

If this generation does not use it as much as the old one then what could the next generation use instead?

Some of the article:
Quote:
“I think email is so archaic. It’s the bane of my existence.”–Robert Corrao, LAC GroupRobert Corrao has seven different Macs, an Apple TV, and of course an iPhone and an iPad to carry with him wherever he goes. The chief operating officer at LAC Group, a professional services company in Los Angeles, doesn’t mind loading himself down with technology, but he’s not always a fan of what it brings: Email, and plenty of it. He estimates he receives 500 emails a day–and that the average inbox in his organization contains 5000 emails. It’s all too much, and too little of it is important.

“It kills me,” he said. “Just deleting–not even reading–that still takes a good chunk of the day.”

So Corrao is leading his company on an effort to get rid of email–not the individual pieces that clutter up the inboxes, but email itself. LAC Group spent recent months experimenting with alternative ways of communicating and sharing information, testing everything from public social networks like Google+ to project management software like 37signals’ Basecamp to private networks like Salesforce’s Chatter.com.

“My pet project for the next year is to get us away [from email],” he said. “I think email is so archaic. It’s the bane of my existence.”

Corrao isn’t alone. The French company Atos made headlines last year when it completely banned internal emails. And the next generation of workers is proving email averse: The Pew Research Center reported in March that 63 percent of teens exchange text messages every day while just 6 percent exchanged email on a daily basis.

Email interruptions statisticBut is it really possible to do without email? To find out, Macworld surveyed Apple-savvy businesses and workers who have dramatically curtailed–or completely stopped–their use of this ubiquitous technology. To avoid overload, focus productivity, and even create a sort of virtual water cooler for employees, the trail-blazers have moved to a mix of video, chat, and social networking. Some solutions are imposed from the top; others grow up from the grass roots. And some wouldn’t exist without the possibilities created in recent years by the iPhone and iPad. Here’s how these businesses are making it happen.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IT-Tech
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • IT-Tech

Post 3+ Months Ago

Email is only failing in the US though. Japan is still has high traffic and favor of email
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is going to be the case where you won't need an email client for your PC/Mac in the future. You'll literally be able to type a message off the back of the running desktop. It would make so much sense to have that system. All computers will be synched to a mobile device so no matter where you are you'll be able to retrieve new emails and send new emails anywhere.

The only difference would be it would appear more in the format of the SMS system that the iPhone uses or the Facebook "Messages" style system.

The problem with the way things are right now is that there are too many ways to send messages. I think Facebook have it perfect, but i don't agree that you should navigate to Facebook to use that feature. Email clients are fine, but a built in email client would be quicker and easier to use.

With all that said, i don't really see what is wrong with the current set up. Maybe i'm old fashioned.
  • ebizjh
  • ebizjh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I must be old fashioned as well, I like the
way it is currently set up.
  • jsholman
  • Born
  • Born
  • jsholman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think e-mail will remain forever.
  • olioli0201
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • olioli0201

Post 3+ Months Ago

every one has a right to his own opinion but i do not see anything archaic in e-mails as for me it is an important and useful part of my life and it will never disappear.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts