What's with the 150+ guests all the time?

• Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great we have so many visitors, but why would they just not sign on? Is there a reason why they would want the communication to be so one-sided, they never get to ask questions or clarify statements made by others...

Seems like it would be frustrating to me...?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats why we have...*checks stats*...391 New visitors in January, because every so often one or two of those guests sign up (like every couple hours) because they have done enough lurking. The real thing that brings so many guests in is Google, and queries for things in the specified directories.

They are good, but not ideal, get it? :-p
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many people find the site through Google and probably are just looking up one thing. Many will visit from google and get their problem resolved from the post they see, and then leave. Occassionally interest will be grabbed and that is where we get more people signing up as members. Also some of the guests may be search engine bots.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man that's the second times I've "coked" or "jynxed" some one (when you say the same thing at the same time...something my mom always says when it happens).
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If have also discovered that multiple browser sessions will register additional numbers, for example, if I have OZZU opened on both of my computers, it will show as 2. Or if I have OZZU opened in IE, Netscape and Firebird, it will show as three. I remember looking at my board stats once and saw 5 guests all registered to the same IP address. For registered members, it only displays the name once, but it does skew the total online somewhat. Probably not significantly though.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Many people find the site through Google.

And, many people are Google (or Inktomi, AltaVista, etc).

My site constantly has anywhere from 50-100 guests online, usually 20-25 of these "guests" will be human, the rest will be search engines (that don't use cookies, so each time they load a new URL on the site, the site sees it as a new session).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts