What would you do if you did not have broadband?

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Say you did not have broadband what would be your first agenda to stat to inprove the internet.

1: Team up with a phone company to start your own dslam.

or

2: Continue to operate at your 56k speed.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have it yet :(:(:(
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it not in your area? How do you do with out it
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

We just make do. It's available in my area but I just can't afford the extra expense right now. I'll have it eventually; it's inevitable.

If I were used to broadband, then I could probably not live without it. :)
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I did not have broadband, I would continue to do the same thing I do now. I wonder how many of the OZZU members remember the 2400baud or prior days. The days of the bbs'!

Actually, many people on the island I live (Okinawa, Japan) don't have anything higher than 56k. The solution: design lightweight websites that load quickly no matter the connection speed.

Broadband is great, but it has the potential of allowing web developers to be lazy and use bad coding practices since download speeds don't really matter--everything is fairly fast on broadband.

So in reply to your question, I"d do the same as I did back when 56k ruled the world: I'd live with it and hope somebody would bring broadband to my area.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

omg like 56k owns mucho ass...

:)

Nah.. Im on Cheap dsl or *cough* dual isdn *cough* speeds of 128k, my connection is 528k/256k, but the modem only does 128/76k because its a free modem, sure.. I could buy a modem and get better speed... but then again, I dont feel like spending 200$... :b
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember the days of 2400 baud and before. My first internet experience was on a 19.2k modem back in '92. Had a unix shell account through a local provider.

I just do as much as I can. I have a pretty good experience at 56.6k.

:)
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i were to tell you there there is a transfer speed of 8,609 megabits per second (Mbps)would you belive me? Well it has been done some time ago 1 year ago. If any of you ever download those 700 mb Linux iso's look at this nice transfer speed article. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ernet.html It would all be good but others upload speeds would limit you so it is not praticle.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

Broadband is available everywhere!...

*cough* :roll:
well with satelitte atleast.. then again, thats quite expensive :|
very....very expensive....
:roll:
*cough*
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunetly we dont have any other option than dial up in my area, even dsl is unavailable which is rather stupid. When my boyfriend moves in I will have to look at other options as he depends on high speed access for his work.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey you guys don't joke, at university next year I might get lumbered with dialup - half the rooms have a ethernet connection to the campus network, half have just a phone line. Lol on the accomodation application form I begged them to let me have a room with ethernet connection.

In answer to your question - I would cry.....
Broadband is strange, before you have it you can cope, but you can never go back, the frustration is unbearable!
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

SecureITGroup wrote:
Say you did not have broadband what would be your first agenda to stat to inprove the internet.

1: Team up with a phone company to start your own dslam.

or

2: Continue to operate at your 56k speed.

There is no such things as "teaming up with your phone company..."

Generally, they don't want to hear it, and regard you as either an annoyance or a potential risk to their future success. I say this from experience; I had a CLEC license and was planning on starting a broadband DSL subscription service some years ago in a region devoid of any broadband opportunities.
The phone company wanted an arm and a leg for the co-lo of the DSLAMS, not to mention the bandwidth considerations. IIRC, it was on the order of 30k per co-lo at each CO. Nice.
You could multiplex 2 modems together -- my partners and I did this once at a trade show using FreeBSD as the multiplexer device and two USR Courier modems as the 56k connectors. This is course would require yet another phone line though. :)

Otherwise, you're sunk -- unless you have lots of money. The forget about the DSLAMS, and get a T1 into your house. :)

Cheers.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bandwidthaholism... once you start, you can't stop!

Eventually, there won't be dialup, at least not in any 1st world nation. Everything, including telephones, will be run over broadband, either coax, fiber or something, but this arguement will be mute, I bet, in 10 years.

.c
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would move to a place that had it. Plain and simple. It would be like taking a trip back in time to the stone age.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

atno, hi,
Quote:
It would be like taking a trip back in time to the stone age.
hahahahahaha atno would even move house for the broad band lol
good on ya atno.
--->atno on the move lol :auto07:
I have b/band, but i think i could live with dialup should the need arise, hope to god i never have to though.. :cry:
Amazing how many areas don't have it.
suzie
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

suzie wrote:
hahahahahaha atno would even move house for the broad band lol
good on ya atno.

damn right! I would lol. I'm just worried that won't be an option for me :(
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm,
Quote:
hey you guys don't joke, at university next year I might get lumbered with dialup
lol and you may well have to suffer that rtm..hopefully not !!
Quote:
damn right! I would lol
so you too would move rtm..well i never, fancy suffering all that trauma for a machine... :D
**Off topic**Did you know moving is one of the highest stressers!!
:cry:
**Back on topic b/band**
As i don't d/load movies or video's, i could manage...quite easily on dialup!!
suzie
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

suzie wrote:
**Back on topic b/band**
As i don't d/load movies or video's, i could manage...quite easily on dialup!!
suzie

I don't much either, but I couldn't cope without BB. I remember when I started at work in september they just had dialup - I hated it. Most websites now are designed with BB in mind and <b>most</b> designers don't care about reducing filesizes. I hate waiting for pages - I think if I had to survive with Dialup I'd turn of pictures.

We have BB at work now :D

I may not survive that first year if it has to be with dialup *puts on grave face. Not just for the slowness, for the cost as well. Do you know how much they scam students for internet!? Uni network connection=free surfing :D

Hopefully second year = student house = shared 2MBps Broadband. Yay Yay Yay woooooo! *does a merry jig and falls over
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good Lawd Almighty!!!!! No Broadband!!! I would suffer from a massive stroke. LOL :lol: 4 months ago, i was changing providers, and in my area the phone lines are old as sin. :roll: Anyway, I had to use a dialup via AOL for 2 weeks, I got so frustrated and pissed off and....and......geez. :evil: LOL I had never used anything below Cable Broadband, and for me it was like being tranported in time to Great Grandpas Farm, where they had candles for light, horses for tranportation, and marbles made of pebbles for entertainment. :lol:
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm,
Quote:
Do you know how much they scam students for internet!? Uni network connection=free surfing
so its free, wassa matter with that, no problem!
Quote:
I may not survive that first year if it has to be with dialup
course you will, its like me saying i would die if my sigs ran out at midnight lol so dramatic you students... :wink: or there is another, i can't work..i don't have a car... :!: absolute poo poo course you'll survive.
So lets get you through your first year at least!
:D
suzie.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

suzie wrote:
rtm,
Quote:
Do you know how much they scam students for internet!? Uni network connection=free surfing
so its free, wassa matter with that, no problem!

The network internet, at faster than broadband speed, is free. If you get lumbered with dialup they charge you monthly line rental plus 5p/min off peak.

One hour a night = £25/week, which is over a third of my studet loan gone on freaking internet lol.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now we have a different slant on this problem of yours..i sympathise with you students lol i don't think its right the way they come out of their time up to their eyeballs in debt, this was even before the net, now its even worse at the price you quote rtm.
mum, dad, do they help out with your netting bills rtm..?
You may have to do what i used to do..can't see it some how lolol thats surf only on frid midnight till sunday midnight, twiddle thumbs in between... :cry:
I used to have aol, £4.75 a month, 15 hrs a month sufing, then went to ntl dialup, then ntl b/band £18.00 a month 24/7...i had digi tv, but gave that up due to bills too high...in favor of keeping b/band !
suzie.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup. It sucks being a student. I get my maximum loan I am entitled to and a £1000 scholorship in the first year 8) and that doesn't even cover accomodation and tuition fees. I gots some savings from this year, but It's freelance web design for me next 4 years....
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe you rtm,
we hear it all the time, some say them b*** students rallying again, but i look at it this way, the students one day will be the back bone of this country, US or UK...we should..the government help them more.
Fine, the student will have the means to climb out of the debts incurred, but the interest alone will take years to pay off.
No, i don't like the young to start off in life this way.
Am tootin for ya rtm.
suzie.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would most likely go into convulsions before I died. I used to do fien with 56K, but then I got attacked by the Cable bug, and got hooked. I love my cable so much, mainly because I'm in an area where not too many people have it yet, so Ive got a really good speed. WOOT!
  • Andylee_2000
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: North East England, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only just got BB a couple of weeks ago.... just can't get used to the fact when i click on a site i don't have time to go and do other things for 3 days while i wait for a page of simple text to come up on screen :evil:

To be honest... i can never tear myself away now to go to the toilet :shock:
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow.............. This guy really likes to share.......
:lol:
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:
:lol:

true true...

My world without B/Band would be very painful indeed. I wouldn't be able to leave my computer on overnight to download Monty Python sketches :lol:

Fortunately, when I got b/band just over a year ago i invested on a bucket so i wouldn't have the same dilemia that Andylee_2000 has. :D

enuf of my ramblings...

whos_wee_dug?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol. A bucket. Now theres a technical thinker. I know a guy who produces a reclining desk. You sit in it, and lock yourself in, and then you tilt the ENTIRE desk back. Everything is secured down by magnets/straps. I need one............ :)
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lolololol joe,
Quote:
lmaoooooo yes he does !!!
And...
Quote:
I would most likely go into convulsions before I died
nooo you would'nt..we would'nt let you lolol
suzie.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago