What do you think of the word Blimple ?

  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 111
  • Loc: WebHost.pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am starting a new host and need a name that is brandable like:

yahoo
skype
twitter
google
blimple

Ect..

What do you think of the word Blimple?
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 127

Post 3+ Months Ago

weak, sorry.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6252
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd probably want to see a doctor to have it removed.
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 111
  • Loc: WebHost.pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I'd probably want to see a doctor to have it removed.


lol yep, it would be tough to not remind people of a pimple, some are even saying a butt pimple. :roll:
  • grinch2171
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6810
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

It reminds me of the Subway's rival Blimpie.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8415
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blimple sounds bad... like some chronic disease.


Never heard of Blimpie...
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 111
  • Loc: WebHost.pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Blimple sounds bad... like some chronic disease.


Never heard of Blimpie...


Doesn't Google sounds like goo

So funny how some people think of "pimple" more then they think of "simple" when they hear Blimple.

Human nature I guess. lol
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6252
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Chaze wrote:
So funny how some people think of "pimple" more then they think of "simple" when they hear Blimple.

Human nature I guess. lol


"B" and "P" are very similar phonemes. "S", however, is very different.
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 111
  • Loc: WebHost.pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Chaze wrote:
So funny how some people think of "pimple" more then they think of "simple" when they hear Blimple.

Human nature I guess. lol


"B" and "P" are very similar phonemes. "S", however, is very different.


I can see that but what shimple, I bet people would think of a shrimp with a pimple. lol or himple.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8415
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blimple is in fact a pimple

You're stuck with one suffix... try googling for "suffix" and pick one... or mutate it to make it sound different and to your liking...

Hostdom
servable

Mess around with prefix+suffix

acrodom (State of being at the highest)
benence (In good state/quality)


They're not real words... but I don't think Google was a real word until the actual search engine came out... (If you think it was a real word, I think you may be referring to googol).

I'm sure you know this, but the word "Google", "Yahoo", "Twitter"... didn't become famous because of the word, but because of the service provided.

Take "Bing" for example. It's "Ding" except the "D" is switched with "B"... I think it's a lousy name for a search engine but if the search engine gains popularity that name would seem to be a good word for a search engine.
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 111
  • Loc: WebHost.pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
?term=blimple]Blimple is in fact a pimple[/url]

You're stuck with one suffix... try googling for "suffix" and pick one... or mutate it to make it sound different and to your liking...

Hostdom
servable

Mess around with prefix+suffix

acrodom (State of being at the highest)
benence (In good state/quality)


They're not real words... but I don't think Google was a real word until the actual search engine came out... (If you think it was a real word, I think you may be referring to .

I'm sure you know this, but the word "Google", "Yahoo", "Twitter"... didn't become famous because of the word, but because of the service provided.

Take "Bing" for example. It's "Ding" except the "D" is switched with "B"... I think it's a lousy name for a search engine but if the search engine gains popularity that name would seem to be a good word for a search engine.


dude I don't think the urban dictionary is fact, pretty sure the word is not real. But I can see saying it as a joke. A big pimple is a blimple lol maybe I should sell some acne lotion on it. Google is goo gle added, I mean that is pretty gross sounding but we think it's clever now. I remember the first time I heard and thought what the hell and then forgot about it until I couldn't forget it anymore.

Maybe, just maybe using a name related to something gross is easier to remember and will stand out after we do remember bad things a hundred times over good in life. This is psych 101 stuff.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8415
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if you really like the word "Blimple" and if you are sure it would be a good brandable name to use, don't let us stop you from using it.
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 111
  • Loc: WebHost.pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Well, if you really like the word "Blimple" and if you are sure it would be a good brandable name to use, don't let us stop you from using it.


lol I do feel something about it just not sure what.

And really I was just trying to talk more scientifically about domain names and branding, not trying to argue my point.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8743
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it pretty interesting when people think of domain names and always try and be creative when some of the easier ones that people use are still available.

Does anyone remember a website called "YouTube"? of course you do. This website only really became better known in 2006. 5 years on and it is one of the biggest websites on the internet today and receives millions of visitors every single day.

What does YouTube mean? well, interestingly for me i always thought it was an offensive set of words. For example, if i was to call someone a Tube in Glasgow, Scotland the word actually is slang for "fool" according to aforementioned urbandictionary...

urbandictionary wrote:
3. tube 231 up, 72 down
Idiot, innocent fool -- particularly a teenager.
Scots origin Glasgow urban slag
"See him he's a pure tube man !"
translates as "That chap is a proper fool"


However as it happens it isn't actually as offensive as i originally thought as "Tube" also means "Television" (really? YouTelevision?)

My suggestion is to look at words and sentences or short phrases which may seem offensive but has a decent meaning to it. I found a great domain which was had a Swedish phrase and this was still available. The advantage of this domain name was it was incredibly easy to translate in an English speaking language while also having a relevant meaning in Swedish. There are alot of Swedish people that speak English, just as there are Indian's and even Chinese that speak English. If you are interested in targeting those markets then why not look at phrases that may seem easy to remember in their respective languages?
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 111
  • Loc: WebHost.pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

So funny I remember youtube in the beginning I used to always type utube . Just like google I thought it was horrible, obviously a domain that happen to available a little similar to what it did.

Even facebook, really a book of faces. Still doesn't sound clever to me and like something they just happen to get fairly cheap.

I am starting to think the worse the name but easier to remember the better. lol Seriously.

I also think short first letter abbreviation names are not very good. I mean espn, att or bofa other then major companies you never remember any of these.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8743
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a story behind Facebook though, and it certainly wasn't original to them. Like you say though, strangely enough they managed to get it registered at the time.

In the last 5-6 years though the .com thing has sort of gone though. Most of the good domains have been taken and people are buying domains that are actually pretty poor and parking them. It's unfortunate because i don't think there will be any more big name websites around with a .com domain name that has been registered in the last 3 years.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.