What's in your name? Descended from?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was named after the Mark of the New Testament. My name was supposed to be Melody (my parents were hoping for a girl). Ironically I've been into music all my life and play various instruments. My last name is Bowker. It's German and means literally "man of the bow" So those of you with the last name of Archer need to look into your heritage. It was probably originally Bowker and altered to a more Anglo-Saxon translation.

What's in your wallet?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first name, Jameson, means "son of James" and my last name, MacArthur, means "son of Arthur". Sounds kind of after-school-special, Jameson has two dads-ish, doesn't it? :lol:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like you are from Scottish or Irish descent Jameson.

My surname is Campbell. The meaning of the Scottish name is "Crooked Mouth" (i have anything but) however the more interesting fact in regards to this name is the "Campbells" were one of the "great Highland Clans".

My first name is "Craig" which for some reason translates to "Crag" or "Rocks". Aparently people with my name originally lived near "Crag" in Argyll, Scotland (173 miles from where i currently live).
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first name is Jason
Quote:
JASON

Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Latinized), Biblical

Pronounced: JAY-sun (English) [key]
From the Greek name Ιασων (Iason), which was derived from Greek ιασθαι (iasthai) "to heal". Jason was the leader of the Argonauts in Greek legend. He went in search of the Golden Fleece in order to win back his kingdom from his uncle Pelias. During his journeys he married the sorceress Medea, who helped him gain the fleece and kill his uncle, but who later turned against him when he fell in love with another woman. This name also appears in Acts in the New Testament.

My last name is Robinson
Quote:
Son of Robbin or Robin. Also, derived from the Polish word rabin (rabbi).
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a distant cousin named Mike, but apparantly I'm not named after him at all. My legal name is Michael Ray Cochran, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything though. Here is something funny: My great grandpa on my mom's side is (was, he's dead) Raymond, or Ray for short, just like my middle name. My dad's middle name is also Ray, but he isn't really at all related to my great grandpa, only legally. My grandma on my mom's side is Rachel, and my mom's and sister's middle name is Rae (short for Rachel). And to make thing's even more confusing, my grandma on my dad's side has the maiden name Burr and is from Kansas, but I have relation on my mom's side also named Burr from Kansas. I sometimes think I am imbred. But what is even more confusing is that my grandma Cochran swears that we are direct decendents of John Smith......as in John Smith and Pocohontos. She spends too much time watching QVC and knitting and she really needs to get out more doesn't she?
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Sounds like you are from Scottish or Irish descent Jameson.

Could be, but my dad was adopted, and my mom's mom was adopted, so your guess is as good as mine. :)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

First name - Lidija - a local variant of the ancient Greek Lydia (Λυδία), meaning 'a woman from Lydia' which was an ancient country of west-central Asia Minor on the Aegean Sea in present-day northwest Turkey, noted for its wealth and the magnificence of its capital, Sardis. It may have been the earliest kingdom to use minted coins (seventh century B.C.). (answers.com. how did I ever make it through 2 months without the internet). By extension it came to mean 'cultured' or 'educated', cuz Lydia was such a damn fine place to come from.

Last name - Paradinovic - sorry guys, I draw a blank here. It's a Croatian last name, but even in Croatia it's very uncommon, and no obvious etymology comes to mind......
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

First Name Justin - comes from Justice
Last Name Flynn - Irish for red(ish)

Bloody Justice ? :P
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
JOSEPH

Usage: English, French, German, Biblical

Pronounced: JO-sef (English), zho-ZEF (French), YO-zef (German) [key]
From the Latin Iosephus, which was from the Greek Ιωσηφος (Iosephos), which was from the Hebrew name יוֹסֵף (Yosef) meaning "he will add". In the Old Testament Joseph is the eleventh son of Jacob. Because he was the favourite of his father, his older brothers sent him to Egypt and told their father that he had died. In Egypt, Joseph became an advisor to the pharaoh, and was eventually reconciled with his brothers when they came to Egypt during a famine. This is the name of two characters in the New Testament: Joseph the husband of Mary and Joseph of Arimathea. Also, rulers of the Holy Roman Empire have had this name.

Quote:
Kovar
Usage: Czech, Polish
Means "blacksmith" in Czech.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jimena (hee-men-ah)

According to my mom, I was named after a 16th century Spanish princess while my dad says I was named after a hurricane that frequents the Hawaii area every few yrs LOL.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

First name Luis: Named after my grandparent. It is pronounced loo-EECE. Has spanish origin. Variant of Louis (Old German) meaning "famous warrior" or "glory in war".

Last name Abrego: Derived from the latin word "africus". It refers to a kind of wind that comes from North Africa to Spain, in modern Spanish has lost this general sense and now means only "south wind", literally, "African (wind)".
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Name: Hendrik

Quote:
Swedish form of Henry. Rules the home.

Surname: Volschenk

I could not find anything really, but I know the following: it's a norwegian surname, and the first two Volschenks in South-Africa were criminals who escaped and hid in the bottom of a ship ... crazy ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ha ha so a distinguished lineage then :D Impressive...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Christopher
English: from Greek Khristophoros, a name composed of the elements Khristos Christ + pherein to bear. This was popular among early Christians, conscious of the fact that they were metaphorically bearing Christ in their hearts. A later, over-literal interpretation of the name gave rise to the legend of a saint who actually bore the Christ-child over a stream; he is regarded as the patron of travellers. Cognates: Irish Gaelic: Críostóir. Scottish: Kester; See also Crìsdean. French: Christophe. Italian: Cristoforo. Spanish: Cristóbal. Catalan: Cristòfol. Portuguese: Cristovão. German: Christoph. Scandinavian: Kristoffer. Polish: Krzysztof. Czech: Kryštof Finnish: Risto.

Short forms: English: Chris. Spanish: Cristo.

Pet forms: English: Kit. German: Stoffel.

Carney
Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Catharnaigh ‘descendant of Catharnach’, a byname meaning ‘warlike’.
Irish: reduced form of McCarney.
Irish: variant of Cairney.
Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Cearnaigh ‘descendant of Cearnach’. Compare Kearney.

Moriarty (surname at birth was a variation, "Moriorty")
Irish (Kerry): shortened Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Muircheartaigh ‘descendant of Muircheartach’, a personal name composed of the elements muir ‘sea’ + ceardach ‘skilled’, i.e. ‘skilled navigator’. A Meath and Monaghan name of the same form is Anglicized as Murtagh.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johnathan; Gift from God.

Yes, that's right. :)
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: @ Daemon
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well my first name is Reed meaning 'Red Hair' and I'm kinda dark blonde.

My surname is Kenyon which is Welsh and has locational meaning for a place called Warrington in Wales / Britain (I'm not sure).

Pretty unexciting actually after my 10 minutes of research =(.
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Charles - two theories; From the Germanic Karl meaning "man" else from the Germanic heri meaning "army, warrior".

Jackson - that's a toughy :D Meaning "son of Jack" derived from Jankin, a pet form of John.
  • justontime
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • justontime

Post 3+ Months Ago

My surname meaning is "God will judge " ..and I am kind of critical .
My parents gave me that name because was very popular that time .

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts