Whats you Fav O/S

• Xios
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Saturn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive used Quite alot of O/S in my time but so far my Favourite would have to be Win2000 For a bunch of reasons

I would have made a Poll but theres to many O/S' I couldnt be botherd to type them all

I just htought i share some good times with those that might remember these

Windows 1.01

Windows 2.0

And finally Windows 3.11

Classics... (I HATE THEM)
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Xios wrote:
Ive used Quite alot of O/S in my time but so far my

Classics... (I HATE THEM)

I share that with u.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

FreeBSD 5.2.1.

Bar none, best server platform available.

Not a bad little desktop too. (As long as you are willing to work for it. :) )

Cheers.
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Himachal Pradesh (India)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow ! thanks for putting the photographs of those oldies :) I have used Windows 3.1 but never seen Win 1.01 and Win 2.0 ( kinda funky )
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

os/2 warp

j.k.

xp does what i need to do
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows Xp Pro

Although Ive heard its all about Linux these days. Anyone want to agree or elaborate?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

For games, graphics & general use - Windows 2000
For server stuff & everything else - Linux
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Québec

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
For games, graphics & general use - Windows 2000
For server stuff & everything else - Linux

I share your opinion Axe!

My favorite OS is XP and Suse9.1

XP now at least if something hangs Ctrl+Alt+delete and up you continue! Just like Linux, but minus the “Ctrl+Alt+delete” ;)
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

it really depends on what I'm doing at the time, Main PC has win2k, I have a test box with XP pro on it, a laptop with win98se, a laptop with win2k, 2 or 3 rh boxes 7.3 thru 9.0, and a few boxes that run linux kernal's and are being used for router's and firewall's. Enjoy :twisted:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

a little selection eh!? MD lol

gr8 to see those screens, i had a comp with 3.1 on it at one time..
but lost somewhere lol

i like Xp, i had Me a long time, no end of crashed and blue screens.
Xp solved everything...

IMO 'Me' was the worst OS to reach any desktop computer on the planet!!!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with you there, so you finally got xp eh?
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you guys look closely on the Windows 3.11 picture you can see something very funny, well not that funny considering the fault!
And that is why until these days I still refuse to pay a penny to Microsofty, and don’t give me wrong, I do buy software’s, big time!
But for Microsofty OS, never, not today or tomorrow…well o.k maybe tomorrow, but that’s my point so let’s continue with my point here…
If you look at the Sound recorder, it did not change much right, and if you can remember so as the multitude of other .exe that comes with Windows these days, I’m not saying that Microsofty should reinvent the OS from scratch every version ($$$), but me paying 500$ for today’s OS to have who knows how much old stuff in it, no way! the day that I feel that they have really made improvements, then I will pay my due! Like I do for all my software’s, M$ always promise a new world with new versions, but they aren’t going to fool me with the new OS, they take to much from old windows and make to little improvements to make it cost effective.
Can’t wait to see the Longhorn? :roll:
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am sorry, but the difference between 3.1 and xp are huge.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, 3.1 was pretty damn stable ;)
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
I am sorry, but the difference between 3.1 and xp are huge.

They added stuff like system restore, disk defragmenter, better wizards, and a system like Linux to avoid all the OS to crash when 1 program hangs, I’m sorry for you, look at the core and you will see pretty much the same old thing, but then again can you open a program and comprehend the difference to say that, when the average person only double clicks and find themselves impressed with new colors and a few addons here and there?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course the kernal is going to stay relatively the same. Don't feel sorry for me, because my system hasn't crashed in the 43 days and 7 1/2 hours that I have had my computer running.

The only reason that I like windows is because most of the software on the market is compatible with it. When I do install Linux I will still have a partition for Windows.

BTW try running 3.1 past 32megs of ram and tell me there isn't a difference
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you have a stable program that does what it needs to do, why rewrite for every new OS?

I use windows 98 on my comptuer, my dad's computer, and for a while my mom's computer.
I use windows xp at school.
I am putting Linux on my moms comptuer in a few days.
I also have linux on my computer.

My favorite has to be windowsXP, it's very stable(?), it plays all the games, and I can use photoshop in it, I have also only ever programmed in windows XP.

I went to this open house thing at this College I am looking to go into (BCIT) and they had these SUN machines running solaris and you could just run this app and it's runnig windowsXP. If I had the money I would do that.
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
…Don't feel sorry for me, because my system hasn't crashed in the 43 days and 7 1/2 hours that I have had my computer running.

What’s that as to do with what we are talking about? I did not say that Windows crashes or it’s full of crap and so on…? Wonder!

Vladdrac wrote:
The only reason that I like windows is because most of the software on the market is compatible with it…

That’s true, me to I have windows installed in one of my hard drives because too much programs that I like runs only on Windows, and more than half the time I’m on Windows ;) [/quote]

Vladdrac wrote:
BTW try running 3.1 past 32megs of ram and tell me there isn't a difference

Vladdrac come on! Of course they are going to do those kinds of improvements.
Are you going to say that a car with more power and different moldings makes an improvement, no!
The brackets, the rods, the screws…and so on are all the same, year after years! same thing as Windows XP. ;)

Tom the Great wrote:
If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you have a stable program that does what it needs to do, why rewrite for every new OS?

Some people just can’t read and remember eh! I said in my previous post
Cool#9 wrote:
…I’m not saying that Microsofty should reinvent the OS from scratch every version…

I hope its clear now! I’m not an anti-MS, who knows maybe I have a higher expectation than some others that’s all, If your happy your happy what can I say against that, nothing! :wink:
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

A car with more power and different moldings makes an improvement
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
A car with more power and different moldings makes an improvement

That’s why I put that example ;) if you think that superficial changes is an improvement, well I’m happy for you! :D
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

The funny thing about all this is I still have a copy of win3.1 or win3.11 on a zip disk :shock: and at one point I think I still have a copy of a version of DOS on 5 1/2 floppy disks and a copy of DOS 6.22 upgrade on 4 or 5 floppy disks, I liked the 6.22 upgrade because all you had to do to install it on a PC without any OS on it was copy the command.com file to a freshly formated drive and the OS would think it is upgrading a previous version :twisted: <- I think that is how it worked, been years since I did it on a PC :shock:
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got 3.11 disks, Dos 3 disks, Dos 4 disks, Dos 5 disks, ANCEINT Dos manuals, yup, I think we may even have software that outdates Dos 3
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Cool#9

im not 100% sure i can agree with you
yes Ms has kept the basic layout for windows..
but adding the extra bells and whistles has improved the OS overall, and using 3.11 and jumping to XP is a damn big leap.
the features of new OS's is unpresetented compared to 3.11

all computer basicly run the same..
but you still find urself buying a new vid card, new processor...
all they have are extra bells and whistles, and have basicly had the same layout over the years. The difference between the p4 3.0ghz and 3.2ghz is very small in real world performance...
but u will find at least a £50-£100 price difference...
and people are willing to get the best
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
im not 100% sure i can agree with you

You can’t agree with me at 100%, you, you have your head, and I have mine, and that is the beauty of it, each one of us in this forum as is or her opinion, and our understanding all grow together at the same time,
often I learn from people better than me, and sometimes I teach to someone else, and I just love this give and take situations, especially here at OZZU, this forum is by far the most filled with calm and comprehensive people, I don’t know if it’s the colors of the forum that attracts certain type of people, bust I must say they are all pleasant to be with, from 12 years old to who knows? ;)
  • TheGrimReaperette
  • Born
  • Born
  • TheGrimReaperette

Post 3+ Months Ago

My God, Are those for real...
*Looking at Windows 1.0 etc*

Those look like my OLD man. lol only joking
  • Xios
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Saturn

Post 3+ Months Ago

100% Real. Would I really make a fake post just to get some attension

No
  • TheGrimReaperette
  • Born
  • Born
  • TheGrimReaperette

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do I know that

:lol:

j/k
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Notice that thing down the bottom in the 1.01 screenshot? I sthat an early version of the taskbar I see there?
  • anubi
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Milan - Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
Notice that thing down the bottom in the 1.01 screenshot? I sthat an early version of the taskbar I see there?

Hmmm... no, I think its something like the actual desktop, with 2 programs iconized.
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know you're showing your age when you have DOS 1.0 disks, still shrink wrapped proudly sitting in the middle of your bookshelf for all to see... it's like a badge of honour!!...

Ahhh the good old days...
back when you had to turn your PC, make a drink, get something to eat, go and play some football, them come back inside to see it only half way through booting up!!...

That's why i like DOS and Linux and Novell so much. No fluff, just stuff that works.

Anyone remember Desqview?
Or how about when being an XTREE GOLD guru meant something?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts