When a huge part of your life dies....

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know it's the way of business but for those that don't know, I was a manager at Circuit City for nearly 12 years and an employee for nearly 15. To read about them closing their remaining stores today just left me with the strangest feeling. Today some people will read the story and see another victim. I see years and years of passion and intelligent and good people that will no longer have a job. 36,000 some odd people of those remaining.

It's kinda like an old friend died.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090116/ap_ ... bankruptcy

Quote:
Circuit City became the largest retailer to fall victim to the expanding financial crisis Friday, announcing it will shut down its remaining 567 U.S. stores at the cost of 34,000 more jobs after failing to sell the business.

The closure of the nation's second-biggest consumer electronics retailer spells more trouble for the nations malls, and is the latest casualty of an unprecedented pullback in consumer spending that has claimed KB Toys, Mervyns LLC and Linens 'N Things.

"Very, very sad," said Alan L. Wurtzel, son of company founder Samuel S. Wurtzel and himself a former chief executive of Circuit City. "I feel particularly badly for the people who are employed or until recently were employed."

On the bright side I should be able to get a new HD TV for a good price.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
On the bright side I should be able to get a new HD TV for a good price.

That's the spirit ! :D

When CompUSA was closing its' doors before the buyout here, they went as low as 90% off on some things and people were flocking in off the streets to buy stuff, some of them even had their own shopping carts !
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is a shame hearing about big companies like this ceasing to trade. Just this last month one of the UK's biggest street chain Woolworths closed down about 1000 stores. The company was this year about to celebrate it's 100th year in trading, so to see it unfortunately stop trading is a shame.

They had 70% off sales, i know of some people managing to get some pretty impressive bargains. I heard how they were also selling shelving and all that that the store had to anyone that wanted to buy them.

It's a shame, unfortunate thing here is i don't think they are the last big company to close down here over the next year or so.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard about this the other day. Seems kind of weird hearing a big store like that going out of buisiness, we have lots of the Circuit City stores around here. Economy seems to be affecting everyone in a terrible way :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts