Which blogging software should I use?

• Bogey
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really need a forum... at least not right now. What I need at the moment is a blog and I figured I don't need to re-invent the wheel and create my own but as I haven't used any blogging software that are available I don't know what to go with.

I would be using PHP and it would be nice if it was something that would be pretty simple to modify and re-skin.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like WordPress, and it is probably by far the most popular. I would recommend that.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

wordpress is by far the easiest and most popular blogging framework. I'd go with that. Just keep in mind that once you want to move away from blogging and expand your site to other areas...wordpress quickly gets frustrating.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wordpress is very easy and good to use. I also used Drupal at one point and found it very easy to use also.
  • Bogey
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence wrote:
...once you want to move away from blogging and expand your site to other areas...wordpress quickly gets frustrating.

that scares me as I would like to add a forum eventually.

At the moment though, I need a way to blog (tutorials, my experiences/experiments) and voting polls.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then I would probably go with Drupal. After you install it, you have a "Content Type" called "Story" (if I remember correctly), which you would use for your blog posts. Setting up a forum later down the road will take a little work, but not nearly as much as Wordpress. There's probably a plugin (for Drupal, they're called "modules") that would create a forum for you. If you wanted more control, you might want to learn more about the inner-workings of drupal and build your own module.

Drupal is sort of set up in a MVC (model, view, controller) sort of way. If you have any experience in this kind of programming organization, then Drupal won't be too difficult for you to learn once you get into it's backend.
  • Bogey
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never had any experience with MVC, but it's never too late to learn :lol: After all, there's always a first time for something and I didn't have one for a while, so it's about time :)

I'm the type of person who needs to understand the theory before actually trying it out, so it'll take a little bit but I'm sure I would be able to get it.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Drupal actually has a blogging module and has a built-in forum but also has the ability to work with phpBB and a couple of other forums.

There is a learning curve with it. I never got around to using Drupal 7 but Drupal 6 was very powerful and you can do so much with it. There are some pretty big name sites that use Drupal as their backend.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
There are some pretty big name sites that use Drupal as their backend.

Such as http://whitehouse.gov
  • Bogey
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Drupal sounds pretty persuasive in this thread... I think I'll try it.

Thank you guys for the awesome replies... if anyone else has any other suggestions I'm all up for it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts