Which content platform do you feel is better long term?

• dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am looking to redo a static site into one that is editable by people.
I am looking at various software, don't really need to customize it much at all, just the template to mirror current.

I created using tinymce a custom editable site, and don't wish to revisit it with the man hours it took as the first project. So looking at pre-builts..

http://www.concrete5.org/
http://www.movabletype.com/
http://www.joomla.org/

Of those, are there any more I should consider or any experience with those 3? Concrete5 is very close to what I did before.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Drupal is also a very good choice.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've personally given up on CMS's. I just got tired of not having enough control over markup and data. Instead, I build my own simple systems. So far I've done it for 3 sites and it's worked out very well in each. I find I spend an equal amount of time building my own as I would deconstructing and reconfiguring what others have done. Plus, the users I work with seem far less confused and more inclinded to use them because of their simple functionality.

Having said all that, I think any of the ones mentioned above are fine products.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have Python installed, I really like Plone.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If concrete5 is close to what you were doing before, it seems like an obvious choice to me. :)

I've done pretty much the same thing dM is doing for my last two sites. Given up on CMS and put together my own simple solutions.

I've yet to find a CMS that isn't a great piece of software, they just tend to try and do too many things and I end up with a bunch of wasted server resources because I'm not using everything.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I've personally given up on CMS's. I just got tired of not having enough control over markup and data. Instead, I build my own simple systems. So far I've done it for 3 sites and it's worked out very well in each. I find I spend an equal amount of time building my own as I would deconstructing and reconfiguring what others have done. Plus, the users I work with seem far less confused and more inclinded to use them because of their simple functionality.

Having said all that, I think any of the ones mentioned above are fine products.

Im on this boat.

I use my own flat file CMS based on tinyMCE. Files are stored in the web folder, not in a database, meaning that when I want to put the website on a different server, I just zip it up and unzip it on the other system. No MySQL to mess with.

Here is an example of a website with this system: www.klaircristiani.com

Simple, one folder with a template and another with the pages.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh and if you have an iPhone, check out www.klaircristiani.com on an iPhone. Same simple CMS flat file system.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't have an iPhone, you can shrink your browser to 320 pixels wide (tall narrow browser window), and click HERE http://www.klaircristiani.com/?usemobile=1

The CMS system can be edited by anyone, since it's based on tinyMCE users see exactly what they are editing as they edit it. And they don't need to know html or PHP or anything.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:

Thought about doing the same, but it is hard I guess. I have looked in those joomla's codes, they're sooo much. I wonder if we write from scratch, it takes real effort...

Can I look at your client's website which you built, Chris...?

:)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:

Hey George, I've sent you some links and screenshots in PM. It's really not that difficult. ;)
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
George L. wrote:

Hey George, I've sent you some links and screenshots in PM. It's really not that difficult. ;)

I know, I have checked. Thank you.. :)
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing I worry about with our own tinymce implementation is the vulnerabilities we may have left in.
We used robust login methods, but the actual page modifications could be hacked I believe.
It is something I dread, and have nightly backups going just in case.

How do you know your methods are all secure when you homebrew one?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I'm not moving around sensitive data. I use htaccess for most of my security needs.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts