Which Country do you know better?

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Singapore vs Malaysia.

Which country do you think outperform each other more?

*I am taking the assumption that the poll chosen here also represents you like the country more.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Malaysia, but it's mostly because I used to work for Circuit City and many products we sold were made or assembled in Malaysia.

George L. wrote:

*I am taking the assumption that the poll chosen here also represents you like the country more.

That is not a logical assumption to make. I actually don't know anything at all about either country and neither like nor dislike either of them. I just have heard the name Malaysia more.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am surprised by you, Mark. I know you are saying the truth.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I couldn't even find either of these countries on a map, so I'll abstain from this poll.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm curious, what's your intent behind this topic George?

I know that Singapore is a tiny little city-state country on the tip of the Malaysian peninsula; I'd like to think that would be basic world geography knowledge although I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to be able to find either on a map, especially considering that many U.S. citizens can't even find specific U.S. states on a map.

Other than their locations, I don't know much about either country, except that Singapore's economy is about to tank because it's based entirely on commercial trade.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find that your topic title and the body are quite different. Do you want us to vote toward the country we know more about or the one we would rather live in?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
I find that your topic title and the body are quite different. Do you want us to vote toward the country we know more about or the one we would rather live in?

SpooF, the one you would rather live in. I think you are helping me to make myself clear. Thanks SpooF.

Sorry guys, for being unclear if it is how it seems like. I kind of assumed as a person knows more about a country, they would prefer living in there too.

spork wrote:
I'm curious, what's your intent behind this topic George?

I know that Singapore is a tiny little city-state country on the tip of the Malaysian peninsula; I'd like to think that would be basic world geography knowledge although I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to be able to find either on a map, especially considering that many U.S. citizens can't even find specific U.S. states on a map.

Other than their locations, I don't know much about either country, except that Singapore's economy is about to tank because it's based entirely on commercial trade.

My intent? Okay, One of my interests is spend time reading some books and articles. Some information I have received while reading, I usually do not accept it and seal it (assuming it is all facts). I have this interest of asking a little more.

I am not hiding anything, really.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know little of either to base an opinion on where i'd live, however the country i know more of is Singapore but this is only because i have an uncle that spends alot of his time there working.

I do wonder why you are ashamed of your country though George. I read this in another comment you made in another thread, you really shouldn't be. I work with a guy from Malasia and i've known people that know others from malasia who say that you are all very nice people. I'd be proud of that fact alone.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm on the same boat as SB: I don't know either country that well, but Singapore a little more because I know some people there.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB, I am just accepting the truth. Look, you did not even spell the country's name correctly. It is Malaysia.

And, I am not being ashamed. Did I use the word in my other thread?. I am just not proud. There is a difference between that two.

:)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know Malaysia for electronics and cheap labor.
I know Singapore for Singapore Slings and cheap prostitutes.

I have no idea where either of them are, for all I know they're neighbors sharing a border. I have no clue how either is spelled, so I copied the names from your first post.

I didn't vote in the poll because of that picking a favorite bit. In terms of which one I would want to visit first, I could flip a coin to decide. If I'm going to visit one, I'd likely be visiting the other sometime after anyways. :)
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Singapore's economy is stable compared to Malaysia's.
Foreign investors keep pouring in Singapore. Last year I heard, they will also go with the call center industry.

Was my statement relevant? LOL
  • flashfango

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jenie0109 wrote:
I think Singapore's economy is stable compared to Malaysia's.
Foreign investors keep pouring in Singapore. Last year I heard, they will also go with the call center industry.

Was my statement relevant? LOL

I think the answer is the best compatible to your question, i don't know about the twwo country, but i think they must their own superiority!
  • Silvertongue62
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's actually an interesting poll. The fact of the matter is both countries attract different interest for different reasons. Jenie is right about one thing, Singapore's economy is more stable than Malaysia's economy but thats not to say that Malaysia doesnt attract investment in it's own right. I have manufactured parts as well as goods in both countries and to date malaysia has the edge when it comes to the quality of the workmanship. Singapore's economic stability is partly because they handle their crime alot better than the Malaysians.

I could go on a little deeper but unfortunately a few of the mods here are a bit overzealous. Email me if you need more info...
  • Silvertongue62
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Silvertongue62 wrote:
It's actually an interesting poll. The fact of the matter is both countries attract different interest for different reasons. Jenie is right about one thing, Singapore's economy is more stable than Malaysia's economy but thats not to say that Malaysia doesnt attract investment in it's own right. I have manufactured parts as well as goods in both countries and to date malaysia has the edge when it comes to the quality of the workmanship. Singapore's economic stability is partly because they handle their crime alot better than the Malaysians. For me both are about the same for different reasons.

I could go on a little deeper but unfortunately a few of the mods here are a bit overzealous. Email me if you need more info...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Silvertongue62 wrote:
It's actually an interesting poll. The fact of the matter is both countries attract different interest for different reasons. Jenie is right about one thing, Singapore's economy is more stable than Malaysia's economy but thats not to say that Malaysia doesnt attract investment in it's own right. I have manufactured parts as well as goods in both countries and to date malaysia has the edge when it comes to the quality of the workmanship. Singapore's economic stability is partly because they handle their crime alot better than the Malaysians.

Great to see this post updated. Actually many don't understand both the country well. It's interesting indeed. I agree with most of your words. When it comes to politics, generally it's frowned upon, most of the time. Not only for the moderators here.
  • pakeeza1990
  • pakeeza1990
  • Loc: IT

Post 3+ Months Ago

my vote goes to the favour of Malaysia because i have spent so many years of my life in Malaysia and i have found it one of the best place for living ... and for everything like visit , cultural etc ...
so my vote for Malaysia...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
Silvertongue62 wrote:

Great to see this post updated. Actually many don't understand both the country well. It's interesting indeed. I agree with most of your words. When it comes to politics, generally it's frowned upon, most of the time. Not only for the moderators here.

I've sent a PM wonder when I would be able to read a nice review from you, Silvertongue62.

:) seems like you know something
  • Silvertongue62
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
I've sent a PM wonder when I would be able to read a nice review from you, Silvertongue62.

:) seems like you know something

Sorry about that, I got a little distracted. I personally KNOW Malaysia better because I have done alot of manufacturing there. Malaysia is known for its low labor cost and high productivity where as in Singapore they are better suited for the service industry. Malaysia used to be known for up and down bad quality control but over the years they have shaken that bad stigma.

Now as far as the economies of the two nations, the economies go hand and hand with their politics and vice versa. Their Politics are predicated on what they can make, sell, or get from the United States as much as what services they can perform for us as well. This is not exclusive to these two nations but to 3/4 the world. So to keep this post from sliding into the mud I will end with this. Any countries economy is a direct reflection of their politics.

I hope that was helpful.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D

sliding to the mud

ha ha...

You have maybe [over] simplified what you originally intended to say I guess. And ok this is it. Thanks for your comment. This is worthwhile to read.
  • Silvertongue62
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Be a bit more specific in what you want to know?

The economic stability that Singapore enjoys is a direct reflection of their willingness to confront the security issues that are prevalent in most countries of that stature. But on the other hand Malaysia also enjoys a comfortability. It's comfort lies in it's ability to meet the needs of large US major corporations to produce and manufacture substantial quantities at rock bottom prices. So in other words both countries have their attractions to foreign investment for totally different reasons. The Bottom line at the end of the day is money. Now if you need me to break that down for you I will. Here's the short answer.

Rich people shut down their manufacturing & lay off their workers in places like the US for more profits elsewhere in the hopes of shipping those same goods back to the US to sell in an economy that has suffered substantial job loss because of that same greed. But as time goes on and more and more industries here in the US are decimated, The rich will realize that the markets are no longer here and they will have suffered a great loss in the long run for a temporary gain in the short turn. Do you need me to break that down as well? here we go.

A job at McDonalds in not a replacement for a job at American Steel or a place like Northrop Grumman. Call any major corporation for service and you may get someone on the other end of the phone from India. Not too long ago India was attractive but as their economy grows it cost more and more to retain employees there as well. So at the end of the day it all comes back to money and how much more can the rich get.

Is that over simplified enough for ya?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

This, is slightly moved in a new defined direction of this topic, anyway, that's good too, although it isn't exactly my original intention. The debate you may seem have begun with is: Offshoring. It is believed it reduces a lot of job opportunities for the local citizens. On another hand, it helps your company to reduce costs I'm not sure if you think it could. It is a challenge for a lot of people who want to look for job in manufacturing in the US, isn't it? Same when we talk about IT and service, then your corporations may look into India, China, Malaysia, Singapore. But if we concentrate just the last 2 countries, historically, there are ample of differences. I'm trying to move back to my direction but if you see another, then I'm ok to go with yours too. For learning sake..

:-)
  • Silvertongue62
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
Singapore vs Malaysia.

Okay I think Malaysia Outperforms Singapore from the manufacturing standpoint. Specifically computer electronic components just to name one.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Silvertongue62 wrote:
George L. wrote:
Singapore vs Malaysia.

Okay I think Malaysia Outperforms Singapore from the manufacturing standpoint. Specifically computer electronic components just to name one.

Ok, got you. Because of cheap labours. That's very good, a true win-win. I heard US is the third largest foreign investor in Malaysia.
  • Hernan
  • Born
  • Born
  • Hernan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well i visit both countries but i know Malaysia more then Singapore.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hernan wrote:
Well i visit both countries but i know Malaysia more then Singapore.

So, what do you mean? Malaysia gives you a better impression ?
  • Hamon
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Hamon

Post 3+ Months Ago

e, That's all depends!
  • hilhilginger1
  • hilhilginger1
  • Loc: germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know singapore for i have been working there for couple years ago.Now I am back home.
  • lojogroup
  • lojogroup
  • Loc: Rocklin, Sacramento, CA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know Singapore. I think Singapore is better than Malaysia.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi thanks people sending your thoughts out and I keep your opinions counted.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 48 posts