Who's cooking for Thanksgiving?

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm cooking and I can't wait to get started. This year my family is coming, so I'm cooking a leg of lamb. MMMMM! It's been too long since I've had lamb at home.
(I will also be cooking a blob of compressed turkey parts for my mother-in-law. She's southern, so...)

Also on the menu: oven-roasted red potatoes, glazed carrots, mac-n-cheese, probably a corn dish, peas, ceaser salad and mom is bringing a brocolli casserole.

Who else is cooking?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me and my wife are doing our first thanksgiving together alone, the same with all holidays for our first married year. We got one of those precooked frozen turkeys because neither of us have cooked a whole turkey and we don't want to screw up our first one. Then of course there is the yams, and some stuffing, and a frozen pumpkin pie, and I'm doing the green bean casserole in the dutch oven outside. I was thinking about getting some cream and doing home made butter and buns made from scratch too, but that seems like a little more work than I'm willing to do unless power tools are involved.

The grocery store has had legs of lamb, and I've never seen them there before and never cooked one. I wanted to get one instead of a turkey, but seeing the bone sticking out and knowing it came from a baby lamb kind of grossed my wife out, so we're sticking with the easy bake oven turkey instead.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, you've got to screw up a first turkey at some point. :twisted:

Lamb is very easy to cook...and delicious. One taste and she'll forget about the little face. (Strange how nobody thinks about the chicken, pig or cow's face.)

Cool on the dutch oven casserole! Sounds yummy.

The only thing pre-cooked on my table will be the rolls. Sister Schubert does a good job. ;)
http://www.sisterschuberts.com/
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mmmm, red potatoes. :D

--

kc0tma, I'm disappointed. I would have thought you'ld have Dutch-ovened a turkey for Thanksgiving. :)

--

Remember folks, most Thanksgiving house fires are caused by deep frying a turkey the wrong way. A frozen turkey placed in a pot of boiling oil will explode! Think about what happens when you wash your hands and fling water into a pan of oil on the stove top, X100. :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish I could say I was really cooking. Until my girlfriend landed herself in the hospital and had her gall bladder removed my original plan was to do something a bit more in keeping with the actual original "thanksgiving" vs the more traditional and had intended to do cornish game hens, venison and lobster.

However, that went by the way side and now I'll be having Thanksgiving day dinner at a restaurant buffet with my mom and brother and a couple days later a late Thanksgiving meal with my girlfriend's family. There at least I will be making homemade cranberry sauce.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if they do it for turkeys, but sometime this year I started buying these purdue "roast in bag" chickens (they are all exactly six pounds for some reason, my theory is this reflects some percentage, like, all the 6 pound ones will be roast in bag).

"The bag" is some kind of plastic, it's inside the big outer bag. You take it out, cut a one inch slit in the top, then I just throw it on top of a big oven safe pasta type plate (so the bottom of the bag can hang down inside the plate, I hate greasy chicken and I love the fat for cooking) and stick it in the oven.

It comes out better than any chicken I've ever roasted, and better than most of the ones I've even tasted. Plus, if you deal with the whole thing carefully enough afterward, none of the juices have evaporated -- I've gotten a QUART AND A HALF out of it before by making a little hole in the bottom and draining it first thing.

Needless to say, there is no mess (unless you let one corner of the bag hit the rack -- it will melt :shock:). And, obviously, the bird is pre-cleaned inside, etc. All you do is set the temperature and a timer.

But I think I'll try this lamb thing*; I'm invited out, but I like to cook, so I go for the "two holidays" thing, one at home. Thanks for the idea guys.

* didn't get much lamb as a kid. It was the only food my father didn't like.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

dM, am I correct in assuming that Jack Daniels will be making an appearance during your cooking efforts? :D

I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my family this year. The turkey is pretty straightforward (I'd love to smoke the turkey, but people seem to think that this isn't in the spirit of the season :( ). I'm by no means a chef, but I love cooking when the occasion arises. I'm looking forward to coordinating everything I plan on whipping up for my family. I love cooking when I have the time to do so.
  • britneylavota1
  • britneylavota1

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually i am a student and also employee. so have no time thats why i dont like cooking. when ever i have a free time then i do. but dailly i dont like. some times good.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
dM, am I correct in assuming that Jack Daniels will be making an appearance during your cooking efforts? :D

You better believe it! My dear friend from Tennessee will in fact be coming for the festivities as he does on most holidays and weekends. He's coming a day early too. Tonight (Wednesday) he's going to help me marinate the lamb, make the mac-n-cheese, glaze some carrots and arrange my kitchen.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

My wife is cooking up a spread as usual. Pretty typical stuff, turkey (20lbs), mashed taters, stuffing, green bean casserole, bread, pies, etc et al.

I like lamb but I am not permitted to eat it in the house. One time I did have it the wife asked how I liked eating Jesus and I exclaimed that Jesus is delicious, tasty and fit for human consumption.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
I like lamb but I am not permitted to eat it in the house. One time I did have it the wife asked how I liked eating Jesus and I exclaimed that Jesus is delicious, tasty and fit for human consumption.

:lol:

Okay, that seems like a bit of a stretch on your wife's part. Why does she think the Bible refers to lamb/sheep and shepherds, so many times (e.g. Lamb of God, the good shepherd, etc.)?

It's because lamb/sheep were a staple part of their diet and a primary resource. Those shepherds weren't walking around with flocks because they liked exercise. Hehehehe. If Jesus ate meat, he ate lamb too. ;)

I mean, really, the word "pastor" means shepherd.

//Luke 22:7-15
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh! Good Lord! It just occured to me that I eat the Body and Blood of Jesus every Sunday and some other times too. :lol:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

She knows I won't feel bad if she reminds me how cute the little sheep are so she tried using Jesus. That didn't work.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

I'm getting a vision, of a man, taking communion at Church, then proclaiming "Jesus doesn't taste anything like lamb !".
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: joebert, you crack me up.

Couldn't resist this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbthj1dRuhA
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
kc0tma, I'm disappointed. I would have thought you'ld have Dutch-ovened a turkey for Thanksgiving.

My dad is doing one in the dutch oven this year, he bought a big one just for the occasion. Most dutch ovens are relatively small, like 10-16 inches diameter and 4-6 inches depth and weighing in at 15 or 20 pounds. The one he got is big enough to roast TWO 20 pound birds side by side and takes two people to carry because it is so huge and weighs 70 pounds. :shock:

ATNO/TW wrote:
...my original plan was to do something a bit more in keeping with the actual original "thanksgiving" vs the more traditional and had intended to do cornish game hens, venison and lobster.

Sounds like you've been watching Iron Chef America! We would have had venison but I haven't shot my deer yet, final day of hunting season is the 29th so I need to get lucky fast. It is fun to break out of the box sometimes and do something totally wild instead of sticking to tradition though. My aunt and uncle up here always do a fondue with their best friends on Thanksgiving.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

luckygal wrote:
Is cooking lamp is easy?

I so do hope that is a typo and you meant "lamb". And cooking it is as easy as cooking most red meats. It's often seasonings or sauces that make it a wonderfully unique dish.

An example is this very simple recipe for grilled lamb chops and mint sauce
Quote:
GRILLED LAMB CHOPS WITH MINT SAUCE

8 lamb chops
2 ozs. Kikkoman teriyaki marinade
1 tsp. white wine Worcestershire sauce
3 oz. white wine

SAUCE:

2 oz. Reese's mint sauce
1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 oz. brandy
1/2 oz. creme de menthe
1/2 stick butter

Mix marinade, Worcestershire sauce and wine together. Place lamb chops in dish, pour mixture over and cover. Marinate for 1 1/2 hours turning several times. Prepare sauce by mixing all ingredients for sauce together and microwave for 5 minutes. Grill chops on high flame until done. Put remainder of marinade sauce for lamb into mint sauce. Microwave for 5 minutes. Pour over chops and serve.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1727,15 ... 92,00.html
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never knew until just now while looking it up that not all gyros are made with lamb. I find myself wondering if I've ever really had a lamb gyro.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
It's often seasonings or sauces that make it a wonderfully unique dish.

Minor disagreement with you there, sir. Lamb is uniquely flavored compared with most meat products on the US markets. The best thing to do with lamb is the least. The flavor of the meat need only be enhanced slightly with herbs, olive oil and lemon juice.

Not at all like most chicken we get the US, that requires strong and distinct sauces to have any flavor.

It is easy to cook, but also easy to over cook. It's naturally tender.

Interstingly, my grocery store only sells Australian lamb.

BTW: Next year, I'm coming to your house for the authentic pilgrim feast. :)

@joebert: I once worked in a Greek restaurant and I can tell you their gyro's were only about 25% lamb. Best to get souvlaki, potatoes and tzatziki if you want something fairly authentic.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK chris, I am forced to agree with you, and do love lamb as simple as you have described. Simple is good, perhaps better. However, I do also enjoy it with a nice mint sauce (served on the side, or lightly drizzled over top), and that particular recipe is about as simple and deliciously complementary sauce as you could make for a grilled chop.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
OK chris, I am forced to agree with you, and do love lamb as simple as you have described. Simple is good, perhaps better. However, I do also enjoy it with a nice mint sauce (served on the side, or lightly drizzled over top), and that particular recipe is about as simple and deliciously complementary sauce as you could make for a grilled chop.

I've got a jar of "Real Mint Jelly" on my counter. :)

Although the primary ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. :scratchhead:

As for me, I'm going with a modest application of the gravy made from pan drippings.

Oh God, I'm getting hungry and it's only 7 AM. :lol:
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

But, Chris.. Pig and cow's face??

One of these days, I'm going to be able to cook like you, Chris.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:

I'm getting a vision, of a man, taking communion at Church, then proclaiming "Jesus doesn't taste anything like lamb !".

Lol..
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:

I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my family this year. The turkey is pretty straightforward (I'd love to smoke the turkey, but people seem to think that this isn't in the spirit of the season :( ). I'm by no means a chef, but I love cooking when the occasion arises. I'm looking forward to coordinating everything I plan on whipping up for my family. I love cooking when I have the time to do so.

I remember you said you were cooking turkey last year too..

:)

Awesome to know how to cook western food, only if I knew..
Oh this topic is sparkling my desire to cook (which I used to do - chinese food, although not much I know of) at home..Now I plan, if I have time to learn more about western food.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
grinch2171 wrote:

:lol:

Okay, that seems like a bit of a stretch on your wife's part. Why does she think the Bible refers to lamb/sheep and shepherds, so many times (e.g. Lamb of God, the good shepherd, etc.)?

It's because lamb/sheep were a staple part of their diet and a primary resource. Those shepherds weren't walking around with flocks because they liked exercise. Hehehehe. If Jesus ate meat, he ate lamb too. ;)

I mean, really, the word "pastor" means shepherd.

//Luke 22:7-15

Sorry, guys I just kept reading this thread. And found I have more replies..

What a coincidence. This evening I went for our Church's Holy Hour at 7PM. There was a part where we said, "I don't need anything, I only need our good shepherd, our Lord."

Something like that...

After it concluded, I was curious and asked a guy who was reading before us. He said it's all about ancient time, it's how they say shepherd as someone who look after us, especially our Father (in heaven). .

One of the coolest part was when we sang in an ancient type of language... slow...and calm and peaceful. Notice it wasn't speaking in tongue..

Consider the word:

1. are - art
2. less - lest

.. right ..?

:)

*Thank you for your explanation part, Chris..
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oil and water doesn't mix, either does cold water and a glass dish that's been in the oven for over an hour.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just finished peeling taters a little bit ago and soon I'll boil them and start mashing them, and in about another half hour or so I'll get some coals going to do the dutch oven green bean casserole. A few minutes ago I got off the phone with my dad and he said he made up some jalepino cranberry sauce that was delicious, so hopefully he'll send me his recipe.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like cranberry sauce, but jalapeƱo cranberry sauce sounds like something I want to try.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not to brag, but I got the lamb absolutey perfect(Actually, yes, I brag). I couldn't have hit medium any better...and tender like you wouldn't believe. I can't wait for lunch so I can have a lamb sandwich.

...maybe I can have lunch for breakfast. Hmmm.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mmmm, lambwich.

Lamb and eggs ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago