Who's got a green thumb?

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

My lawn's only a few weeks old & it was sodded with Bermuda grass. Since I'm in the Southern US, the weather is ideal for growing according to what I've read. Anyone with a green thumb have tips for getting a nice, plush lawn?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's better for the mower blades to be too high than too low. Cutting the grass too low can kill it. I think this is how most people end up screwing up their grass.

If you go awhile without cutting your grass, bag the clippings. If you cut it regularly it's good to mow without a bag though so the nutrients from the grass get recycled. The key is not leaving any clumps or patches of clippings laying on the grass. The small stuff from a regularly mowed lawn should settle down towards the roots allowing the stalks and leaves to get the sun they need.

Don't leave anything laying on the grass for more than a day. Things like garden hoses and Frisbees will kill small patches of grass because the sun can't get to it. If you decide to dig out a flower bed or something similar later on and you anticipate having piles of dirt, rocks, mulch etc laying around for more than a day, lay down plastic tarps and split the material into small manageable piles that you can slide around on the grass every day. That way you don't have any one patch of grass covered for too long.

Water right before sunset so the sun doesn't steal it from the grass in the form of evaporation. When you fertilize, do so right before you water so it will get to work right away.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Been awhile since I've had a lawn, I'm going mostly from memory here.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good tips, thanks. I had heard that you shouldn't water within a few hours of sunset since that usually promotes mold growth, so perhaps that's worth some research.

Hadn't thought about things lying around - I've got some stuff to move when I get home!

Anyone else have some for me?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mold growth might depend on where you live. I know everywhere I've lived here in FL with nice grass, we watered right around sunset and never had problems with mold. Definitely worth looking into more, the mold thing does make sense.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Watering at night is bad if it doesn't evaporate due to the dew point, it will cause rot.

The taller the grass the harder for it to evaporate.

One thing the jaguars stadium grounds keeper said, was seed seed seed.

Even when it is all planted, add more seed for when people run on it. Of course in football there is a lot more grass torn up but same principle..
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have a green thumb, but I do have a purple toe.
  • findme
  • Student
  • Student
  • findme

Post 3+ Months Ago

We all know that Lawn Mower will not stop grasses grow but to cut the grass. Just have a review on take a look at here [domain removed]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts