Why get people stuff they "need" for Christmas ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why do people give people stuff they need, like socks and underwear, on Christmas ?

If you give people stuff they need, they end up having money for stuff they want, then they feel guilty about buying stuff they want later on. But if you give people stuff they want, they just buy the stuff they need later on and not only do they not feel guilty for buying things the need, they're happy to have the stuff they want later on.

I guess I never really understood the reasoning. If the person doesn't have the "needed" things you're giving them, that means they've been getting by without those things, which technically makes them, non-needs, doesn't it ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes but if people get what they want after xmas then it is normally cheaper! I only get stuff I need for Christmas because I get all the stuff I want in October for by birthday and December is too soon for anything new to come out and take my interest!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually the only reason I have new clothes each year is because of Christmas and birthday. I never buy stuff like that for myself. I'm all for it lol.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's christmas. I prefer getting gifts not donations. However, I don't ever buy clothes because I can never afford them, so I don't mind getting a nice pair of jeans or shirt. However, socks and underwear, maybe a bathroom kit...yeah, kinda lame.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Why do people give people stuff they need, like socks and underwear, on Christmas ?

If you give people stuff they need, they end up having money for stuff they want, then they feel guilty about buying stuff they want later on. But if you give people stuff they want, they just buy the stuff they need later on and not only do they not feel guilty for buying things the need, they're happy to have the stuff they want later on.

I guess I never really understood the reasoning. If the person doesn't have the "needed" things you're giving them, that means they've been getting by without those things, which technically makes them, non-needs, doesn't it ?

You have a point but your statements is not always true. When I give something that falls under a need category, I make sure that the recipient doesn't realize he/she needs it.

Like, I have this colleague who criticized too much, I am planning to give him a mirror and a little note in fancy font which reads: "Take a good look at yourself."
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Like, I have this colleague who criticized too much, I am planning to give him a mirror and a little note in fancy font which reads: "Take a good look at yourself."

I would think that someone who criticizes would already be aware of everything there is to criticize about themselves and feels there's nothing they can do about it, or would not realize it even with a mirror.

Does this critic generally try to help with the things they've criticized about, or do they pretty much just abandon the person to figure out how to deal with it themselves ?

If the answer is the later, perhaps showing that person how to help someone get started to better the situation being criticized would be better than a mirror.

They'll probably just think about how awesome they look, or pick a booger that's been bothering them when nobody is looking if you give them a mirror.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why do people think Christmas is a time for new clothes?

Christmas, which is really Christ's mas(s) is about the birth of Jesus, not the latest wardrobe fashions. He could'nt even, or his parents could'nt afford a hotel for the night let alone buy clothes for Jesus.

All Jesus had was was a makeshift nappy and his bed was just straw.

Jesus does'nt want you to go to any great expense for him, just go to mass is all..in your scruff if need be.

And before you reply to this remember he knows what you will write before you write it.

Just as when you shop for your glittering Christmas attire he will be behind you.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I spent $42 on a pair of pants just yesterday, that hurt, they are the most expensive pants I've ever bought. But for gift giving, for years my parents have been doing stuff like giving loaves of home baked bread and cookies and stuff, or having friends over for dinner or whatever. I think that kind of thing is a better gift than something material.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
But for gift giving, for years my parents have been doing stuff like giving loaves of home baked bread and cookies and stuff, or having friends over for dinner or whatever. I think that kind of thing is a better gift than something material.

Absolutely! I always spend a good bit of time each year baking and making confections for friends and neighbors. This year, I'm adding a jar of my own homemade meat sauce, as well.

I also prefer to get gifts of necessity. I can't stand getting superficial crap. I don't want to have to make lists to explain to someone what I want or need, either. If someone can't be bothered to get me anything but a gift card, I'd rather they just keep their lack-luster effort to themselves. I personally put a lot of care and thought into what I buy for others.

@suzie: I will be at midnight mass too. I'm pretty sure I can enjoy both the spiritual and secular aspects of the holiday, without conflict. ;)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This Christmas, I'd like for someone to shoot that SitePal broad. :P
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's what I gave everyone last year:

http://www.intergate.com/~halfcountplus/xmas.html

which now my web-dev skills have substantially improved, this years gift announcement should look better :lol:

kc0tma wrote:
I spent $42 on a pair of pants just yesterday, that hurt, they are the most expensive pants I've ever bought.

I once spent $90 on pants in high school, c. 1987. I felt like a total fool for a while altho they were nice pants. I haven't done that again tho. Right now, I am pretty sure I don't have any that cost me more than $10, because I generally get the pants at Goodwill, which there is usually a ton of $40 pants there someone barely used, and the money goes to charity. Except, of course, for the pants I get for christmas...

digitalMedia wrote:
This Christmas, I'd like for someone to shoot that SitePal broad. :P

You do know you can click the speaker symbol and that turns it off permanently, right?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
You do know you can click the speaker symbol and that turns it off permanently, right?

Oh crap!!! It's Christmas already?!? :lol:

Thanks! I didn't know that until now. :thumbsup:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the toughest thing for me to believe about the whole Jesus story is that he was Jewish and poor.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I think the toughest thing for me to believe about the whole Jesus story is that he was Jewish and poor.

ba-dum, chh!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

November 9th...Christmas commercials are already on the air, Christmas music is already playing in stores and my wife is in the next room setting up her ceramic Christmas village.

NO!!! Stop the insanity! :(
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was driving down main street this morning and they were putting up the Christmas lights.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts