Will someone explain the point is blogs to me

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the random question of the day looking over site reviews i find more and more people are using blogging software to build web sites and really i see them and i don't think much of using blogging software for a web site.

As far as i see, there is not much point of them. i find that what ever happened to building a web site from scratch, yes they take more work but it has more meaning to what some people call a real web site.

I blame a lot of the social networking that has developed and consumed the internet over the last 5-10 years. I know there are a lot of fans of blogging out there but i just wanted the opinion of the community due there is a lot of talented developers.

just a random flame in the end :P
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it depends on who it's being built for (or what the site's purpose is otherwise).

I've seen people use the blog structure sometimes if the site isn't going to be in depth and they either don't have experience to write their own code, or there isn't enough need for CM.

IMHO, I believe I see more use for the blogging software (wordpress, etc) by people who simply want to have multiple websites with "mini articles content", that utilize key words for adsense campaigns... click generators.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i can understand the cheap site for the cheap money but the way i see it, put the effort in study and build something bigger and better and make more money.

i just feel too many people are lazy about building sites and i find it a little disappointing that it could be more then a cheap throw together.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha, you're preaching to the choir, Zealous! :)

I agree with you, but also believe a majority of the people who do this probably don't know how to code, or aren't "true" web developers. They pretty much get lost out side of basic html.

The reason I believe this is because most people who are passionate enough about web development to learn to do it from scratch, (understand .php .js .css, etc) are going to be too critical of their work to use someone else's.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I just want a simple web site to post articles I write, why would I waste my time reinventing the wheel when I have real work to do?
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't see that as the issue, spork. I'm thinking in terms of those who use a blog layout for a website they wish to be full scale. I don't understand the point of them doing it either because of navigation to all of the various sections they want seen. I believe it tends to be frustrating to the visitor who ends up not going back. In this way, the "developer" has shot them self in the foot by taking such a short cut in building their site.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mmm, perhaps I interpreted the initial question incorrectly. Of course it doesn't make sense to use a CMS for purposes way beyond what it was designed for :)
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blogging software has been a way to decrease development time I think. Focus can be on design and not so much on the underlying code itself.

Also it lets those without budget or without knowledge quickly get a homepage up and running that will look ok in most browsers.

Also for some it lets them focus on content (everyone isn't coders some are more writers and feel like writing some stuff, maybe they have no interest in taking internet too serious).

But the main reason for those who know how is probably development speed. Personally I like writing stuff from scratch since I usually learn a lot that way and I like challenges but the fun in writing from scratch might change if I had written a site "like that" before. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts