Winter Weather 2010

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well our weather guy was...wrong. The guy on tv said that it would be really windy and blowing snow and up to 10 additional inches on top of the 6 we already have all day today. But right now outside my window it is bright blue sky and not a whisper of wind.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

People in Seattle do NOT know how to deal with snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCyQ3emQg
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forecast was correct from a few days ago. Today we were hit with some snow, originally not as bad as i thought then as the day progressed it got worse. Had to remove near an inch of snow off my car at the end of the day. Supposed to be bad overnight and continues tomorrow.

I am actually now having to wake up earlier than usual to get out at the car earlier than usual to scrape the snow (then ice) off the car before i hit the rush hour traffic in the morning. My usual 30 minute commute is now taking at least 45 minutes.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Particularly made a point on being up earlier on today to clear the snow and get ahead of all the traffic. It turns out other people had the same idea and as a result i joined slow moving traffic which tailed back a good 5 miles. I left for work (9am start) at 7:45am and arrived at 9:20. It usually takes me no more than 30 minutes during rush hour traffic.

I took this photo before i cleared the car from snow this morning. The way things are going it'll be the same tomorrow morning...

Attachments:
audisnow.jpg
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's more or less been snowing non stop for the past week now. I cannot remember a time when it was ever this bad in November, usually it's after the new year we get this sort of stuff. It sort of makes me wonder what it will be like then if it's this bad now!

A few days ago across the UK we experienced record low temperatures hitting as low as -17C (1.3F). I've given up digging my car out and will probably look at other ways in which i can get to work on Wednesday if things don't improve.

At least the penguins in Edinburgh Zoo are enjoying it...

http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/EZPenguinCam.html
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found out that it is possible to elk hunt in waist deep snow over the weekend. Its really slow moving and cold and wet and you get tired fast. That day was written off as interesting but not productive.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I almost got myself an elk this morning going 55 into work :D, would of done terrible things to my car though :(
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hit a deer at about 65 last year in my jeep. I was passing another slower vehicle on the highway and the deer ran in front of the other guy then the front passenger corner of my jeep hit it in the head, and the other vehicle drove over it. Damage to each of our vehicles was minimal and it took a couple months for the blood and guts spatter on the road to wear off.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There were numerous times when a deer ran in front of me while I was driving at 60 at night. Luckily my headlights were strong enough to let me see the deer and break.

I'm still not getting snow... just colder and windier, but no snow... that's good because I don't want snow :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Finally got our first snow overnight. Not much...a bit less than an inch on the cars, but a fitting way to begin December.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

We got another 4-5 inches but it was really light and fluffy without much moisture in it. Our total is up to about 14 inches on the ground if my estimation is correct.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's us had snow for 7 days now. It's not often it lasts this long. We almost always never have much in November. I've worked out that I don't dislike snow, I just dislike the fact that it will be gone soon and we then have all the pot holes on the road and it just gets silly wet.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has snowed pretty much every day for the last two weeks here, so it feels like one big snow storm but really it has been a bunch of smaller ones.
  • pipeten
  • pipeten

Post 3+ Months Ago

We were covered in snow today but everyone managed to get in so was business as usual really:
Attachments:
201352946a.jpg

City Centre Office

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Coldest start of December in some parts of the UK for 20 years...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11883714

...and still snowing. I am not used to this, it's probably something you are used to in some parts of America and Canada but not in the UK. We don't often get more than a week of solid snow.

One of the things mentioned in the article is that the Forth Road Bridge, which is the main bridge linking Edinburgh to the north of Scotland, was closed at one point for the first time in it's 46 year history.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here are some cool ice cycles hanging on my back porch. We have been getting snow pretty steadily for a while, and we have a metal roof, so the heat from the house has been slowing melting off the snow which made the ice cycles, and the melting snow gradually started sliding off the roof which made the ice cycles start to bend. Then today we got up to about 36 degrees which made the snow start melting even faster, which made new ice cycles perpendicular to the other ice cycles. I don't have a picture, but on my front porch there is about a four foot tall curtain of snow hanging from the eaves.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's finally getting really cold here in Kansas :lol: Took me two tries to start my car and 15 minutes to warm it up enough to start driving slowly, but no snow yet :D so no awesome pictures like that.
  • diosss21
  • diosss21

Post 3+ Months Ago

Our whether is so hot to any other country. so every one can come here and enjoy winter.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excitement, I had some this morning! I was sitting in my office this morning when my wife calls and says she got her car stuck, so I went out to help her. Stuck was an understatement, she was plowed down into a ditch! She was on her way to work and was on a long flat stretch of road and there was another car coming from the other direction. She looked away for a second to get a tissue and blow her nose, and when she looked up she realized she had drifted onto the wrong side of the road. So she steered back into her lane and her car went ssshhhoomp down into the ditch into about 2.5 feet of soggy wet snow. The other car stopped and tried helping her dig out and put kitty litter down for traction but the snow was just too much so she let her use her cell phone to call me and I went out there and dug some more and then yanked her out. I love doing manual labor like that way too much, I think a tech support desk job is all wrong for me.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That photo would make a cool desktop background, especially if there happened to be a 1920x1200 version. Just sayin' ;)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still have the full size so I might, MIGHT link it. Its on my camera at home.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Full size unaltered ice cycle photo.
  • flashfango

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the weather is quick-change, and it is impossible to forecast every time!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The big freeze continues here. Temperatures dropped to as low as -20C (-4F) which is the coldest i've experienced (that i am aware of). It has been such a bizarre cold snap.

It doesn't have to be frustrating and boring though, one of my friends decided to have a bit of a laugh today...

Attachments:
fun.jpg

Who's been walking on my car!?!?!?

:lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 54 posts