Winter Weather 2010

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, it turns out this is going to probably be another strange winter in this part of the world. This is the next few day forecast according to the BBC Site for my local area...

Attachments:
weather.jpg

Notice how on Monday it hits -4C (24.8F) yet the following day it hits temperatures no lower than 8C (46.4F). Another strange thing is how it is expected to be sunny and no cloud (very rare to have outside of summer here). I did laugh when i saw that the max temperature is actually colder than the expected minimum temperature on Tuesday! :lol:

A few days ago i was driving out in my car, i sat in it for a few moments at the end of my journey as i was listening to the radio for a bit. In the few minutes i was sitting idle the temperature climbed from -1.5C to +1C.

Last year was one of the coldest winters on record here, we had an unusually large amount of snow fall (nothing in comparison to what some people get in the US and Canada i have to admit) and there is word of this coming winter being the same.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't listen to any forecasts. They are totally worthless. It's all guess work. Meteorologists should only get minimum wage. They aren't worth any more.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty standard weather for around here this time of year. Lots of rain and no sun shine with snow just outside of our grasp.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Don't listen to any forecasts. They are totally worthless. It's all guess work. Meteorologists should only get minimum wage. They aren't worth any more.

I don't know... the forecast I get in my area is always on the spot...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It snows everywhere around me, just not on me :( Its amazing how much a couple hundred feet of elavation does.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
It snows everywhere around me, just not on me :( Its amazing how much a couple hundred feet of elavation does.

Kind of removes the "global warming" theory I would imaging :lol:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its really neat looking out my window right now because as I look up the mountain behind my office you can tell exactly where above-freezing ends and below-freezing begins because there is a very straight line where the snow stops.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey, if the forecasts in your area are they good, you're very lucky.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you know that when a weather forecast says there's going to be a 25% chance of rain, what that means is for the area they're providing a forecast for, 25% of that area will get rained on during the day ?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Bogey, if the forecasts in your area are they good, you're very lucky.
Yeah, the forecast in my area are good. I haven't had a forecast that was wrong yet.

joebert wrote:
Did you know that when a weather forecast says there's going to be a 25% chance of rain, what that means is for the area they're providing a forecast for, 25% of that area will get rained on during the day ?
I did not know that. That is interesting though.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:

Although weather can at times be unpredictable, meteorologists do a hell of a lot of work inputting current data into extensive models they've built, and are generally on or around the mark, here at least, so I find your view a little ignorant. Of course, it all depends on the money behind it.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ignorant? I don't care how much work they do. Maybe Australia has better meteorologists. Right now the sun is shining here & it was supposed to be raining. They are good for the next 12 hours at best. After that, it's anyone's guess. I rarely look at forecasts anymore. I've wasted too much time already.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I rarely look at forecasts anymore. I've wasted too much time already.

It took me a split second to scan over what they believe the weather to be in this area. As it turns out the forecast changed as time progressed, however it wasn't too far off the original prediction posted above.

I'll agree with Breeze regarding the Australian forecasts, when i was in Australia a few years back i saw the forecast alot after the news and it was almost always correct. Temperature was very often spot on.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most meteorologist are full of *plum*. Back in the day when I worked in a tv station the weather guy had his fancy weather modeling computer that made all the maps and stuff, then he had a subscription to some online weather predicting service, but for his forecasts he used data from the National Weather Service website. So during every news show he would say "So depending on which model you look at....." meaning "I don't have the slightest clue so I'm going to just use a bunch of big words and hope you believe me."
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about that... the forecast for my area is usually spot on even if it's for a day that's 7 days from now.

I don't check the temperature, so I'm not sure if that is usually correct, but if it tells me that it will rain 6 days from now... it rains 6 days from now. I never have noticed a weather that was anything different from the forecast.

So you can imaging that I fill differently from Don2007 and kc0tma about meteorologist. I guess this area actually has real meteorologists rather then wanna-be meteorologists.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not all of them are bad. We had another one at the tv station that set up his own little weather monitoring thing up on the roof and would go check that and make his forecasts based on what he recorded. He made graphs of the barometric pressure and temperature and stuff and compaired it to past years so his forecasts were educated guesses rather than wild ass guesses.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't understand why more people don't just look at the doppler and pressure maps and plan their days around them. When a giant low pressure system is heading your way, and the doppler looks like a Christmas tree, it's going to rain.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some people do that & it's more reliable than listening to those actors on TV.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Snowing here today! It has been a long time since I remember our first snow being in November!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

We're getting dumped on with snow too. Yesterdat me and my uncle went up high looking for elk, we did about a 1700ft vertical climb and came back down, and at the top the snow was thigh deep.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heavy snow predicted here this week. We should really get it worse because we get the cold weather from Russia and across "the pond". It got to the point where if there was snow in the east coast of US/Canada it quite often meant we would get some of it.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

That snow from Seattle hit over here about 9 PM or so last night. Only got a few inches though.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just realized they have us in a winter storm warning for the next 30 hours with 8-10 inches of snow in the valleys. I think fall is over and winter is here.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Our power just went out here, for just long enough for me to turn off all the servers and then it came back on. Thats irritating, if I would have waited 5 minutes I wouldn't have had to go through my shutdown check list and then bring everything back up again. I figured that the snow probably knocked out a power line or something and it would be out for a while but we were only in the dark about 10 minutes or so.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It snowed here yesterday but didn't stick. This morning it's snowing and looks like it's going to be hanging around for a while.

My friends in NY are making fun of me as they haven't seen any snow yet.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's already snowing at your place? I'm still not getting snow here in Kansas :lol: It's actually quite warm here...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

More snow today here in the Seattle area, sticking around too as temperatures are in the 20s. Many schools have closed down today. On the news it said that tomorrow will likely be the coldest November day ever in 25 years. Here are a few pictures:
Attachments:
IMG_0153.jpg
Attachments:
IMG_0140.jpg
Attachments:
IMG_0126.jpg
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate snow to tell you the truth... I can't go anywhere on my car

If I only still had my truck :(
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

They upped our winter weather warning to a blizzard warning late yesterday and pushed the ending time to three hours later. This is the same storm that BWM got but we're also getting really cold air from Canada, so our daytime high today is only going to be 8 degrees, and with wind chill its going to feel far below zero.

The good thing about it being so cold is that I haven't had to run the a/c in my server room in days! Its staying right at 70 degrees here, normally if I don't run it the temp in here gets up and over 80 real fast.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya that storm pasted over here. We got 12 inchs still have a white sky, right now its 20f out.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 54 posts