Voting Chart

Total votes : 3

Do you think wormholes are a possibility?

•  
    Yes I think anything is possible.
  •  
    No way, this is complete science fiction.
  •  
    Not sure.

Wormholes

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

NOVA: In your novel Contact, your main character Eleanor Arroway travels through a wormhole. Can you describe a wormhole?

Sagan: Let's imagine that we live in a two-dimensional space. We wish to go from spot A to spot B. But A and B are so far apart that at the speed of light it would take much longer than a generational time or two to get there as measured back on world A. Instead, you have a kind of tunnel that goes through an otherwise inaccessible third dimension and connects A and B. You can go much faster through the tunnel, and so you get from A to B without covering the intervening space, which is somewhat mind-boggling but consistent with the laws of nature. And [the theoretical physicist] Kip Thorne found that if we imagine an indefinitely advanced technical civilization, such a wormhole is consistent with the laws of physics.

It's very different from saying that we ourselves could construct such a wormhole. One of the basic ideas of how to do it is that there are fantastically minute wormholes that are forming and decaying all the time at the quantum level, and the idea is to grab one of those and keep it permanently open. Our high-energy particle accelerators don't have enough energy to even detect the phenomenon at that scale, much less do anything like holding a wormhole open. But it did seem in principle possible, so I reconfigured the book so that Eleanor Arroway successfully makes it through the center of the galaxy via a wormhole.

NOVA: What do you think it would be like to travel through a wormhole?

Sagan: Nobody really knows, but what Thorne has taught me is that say, for example, you were going through a wormhole from point A to point B. Suppose point B was in orbit around some bright star. The moment you were in the wormhole, near your point of origin A, you would see that star. And it would be very bright; it wouldn't be a tiny point in the distance. On the other hand, if you look sideways, you would not see out of the wormhole, you would be in that fourth physical dimension. What the walls of the wormhole would be is deeply mysterious. And the possibility was also raised that if you looked backwards in the wormhole you would see the very place on world A that you had left. And that would be true even as you emerged out of the wormhole near the star B. You would see in space a kind of black sphere, in which would be an image of the place you had left on Earth, just floating in the blackness of space. Very Alice in Wonderland.

You can see the whole article here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/time/sagan.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow i love articles like this.. this kind of stuff fanscinates me... the whole theory of time travel and multiple dimensions, worm holes etc... Einstien was a big mentor when i was younger and i studied alot of his theories including the theory of relativity. it realllly makes you work the brain muscle to comprehend some the stuff he talks about in there. here is a cool article someone sent to me.. that is about a guy that claims to be a time traveller, he has apperantly turned $800 into $350,000,000 in just two week, and the outhorities admit that they can find no tracy of this guy prior to december 2002... very curious and interesting stuff.. even though im sure the guy is completely wacko.. it still is nice to entertain the thought and possibilities of this type of things...also find it curious that he claims to have proof that he is from the future, and says he will prove it by telling the whereabouts of osama bin laden and the cure for AIDS...

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/wwn/20030319/104808600007.html
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check this out, according to Einstein forward time travel is possible. This link kind of walks you through on how he is thinking and makes it pretty clear that is seems logically possible

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/time/think.html
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow that really bruised my brain there trying to figure out the paradox.. but think about it:

lets say your on a train moving at the speed of light (186k MPS) and you turn on the headlights.. well if the speed of light is constant you would think that the light would not move forward. since your moving the speed of light. at the same time it mentioned that speed of light is constant, as in the speed is always the same never faster or slower. BUT to the observer according that article the light would be moving away from him at 186k mps, regardless of the speed of the train! ?? something doesnt add up. hence the paradox...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts