Would you die for someone you love?

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw this post at another forum and thought it would be interesting to see other's reply here...

Reading this story (Not much to read :lol: ) would you do the same?

Me, I will for some that I love and won't for others who I don't really like.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Bogey,

I know without reading the story, no I would'nt.

I believe you need to be mega strong not to mention very brave. It also takes a very special kind of person to leave the world behind and thats not me.

When I married we made friends with this lovely couple many moons ago, no one would have suspected what was to come.

The girl seemed happy enough. No children as they too had'nt been married long, both worked, we drank at the local together etc..

Something snapped inside that young girls mind though because she threw herself under a train. I will never forget the grief her husband went through. I often wonder how he went on after that. Maybe she lost (family) someone she loved and could'nt cope, if only she spoke to one of us we could have maybe helped her...a very sad time.

I could never do that. What about your family, how would they react to such sad news? I love my family far too much to leave whats left of my siblings.

That BBC presenter killed himself over a girl who died did'nt he? I doubt even if I was dying from a terminal illness I could never do that..its against my religeon anyway.

Good question Bogy!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

I certainly like to think I would... but don't suppose anybody would ever know for sure unless they're confronted with the situation.
  • meanne
  • Born
  • Born
  • meanne

Post 3+ Months Ago

i hope i could die for the one i love,but how about him?could he die for me?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I would. There is no question in my mind.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I would too. Without any doubt.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've seen enough movies to know better than to give them any ideas. They'll just have to wait and see. :D
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I clicked the link couldn't view any articles? is it a video?

Err, someone I love, Yes. It actually happened once in our shophouse, 3 storey building. There was fire in the 1st floor, we were up on the 3rd floor, I shouted "all run down through the back door", and I let them all go down the stairs first and I went last.

There were my brother, mom and sister. We were all safe. I decided to risk my life to let them go down first....Maybe I was thinking I could climb over the balcony cuz i am more athletic.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I've seen enough movies to know better than to give them any ideas. They'll just have to wait and see. :D

LOL I see.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Considering I was willing to expire for people I didn't even know -- yes, without question.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
Considering I was willing to expire for people I didn't even know -- yes, without question.

Ditto
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I do believe I could.

But it's also easy for people to say they would where it might be different under the circumstance.

But I like to think that I definitely would.
  • trevHCS
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • trevHCS
  • Loc: NW England, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

suzie wrote:
...if only she spoke to one of us we could have maybe helped her...a very sad time.

Afraid that's the reality of suicide - everything crashes into a single dot and you can't see outside that, so other peoples feelings don't come into the equation. It's not as selfish as it might seem simply because you're working in an alternative reality where others simply don't feature, so you can't think about them.

Not also sure people are that "lost" when they do this as they can have simply seen reality and it ain't always pretty. We're born, we suffer at school, we work our butts off and then we die...ok, and this is supposed to be logical!?

My take on the original is basically that I probably wouldn't do it specifically for anyone as they might feel guilty about it, but if that was the result then well so be it. Not that fussed about kicking about here and if it helped someone else then even better.

Trev
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I might be able to die for someone I loved, liked, was indifferent about, and even some people I don't like (all depending on how much I dislike them). However, I don't think I could do it because I'm a good person, I think I would do it because I'd have the chance - if I don't die, before I die, or after death - to hold it over said person's head.

Of course, if it came down to it, I don't know what I'd do, but if I act like I normally do...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a tough one. I've actually asked myself the same thing many times.... If there is one act of human behavior that leaves me in awe, it's the willingness to put yourself in harm's way at the spur of the moment to protect someone. I love that story about the plane that crashed into a frozen river (was this in New York? or did I dream it?), and ordinary passers by - business men, bankers and the like - put down their briefcases and jumped into the icy water trying to save the survivors. I really hope I could do something like that, but I think if you haven't been in that position you don't really know the answer.

I think I'd be more likely to do it if it were a sudden emergency than a thought-out decision. When you see a burning building or a sinking car or whatever, you don't have time to think 'if I go in there, I might not come out' - your only thought is likely to be 'gotta help them'. If someone put you in a position where you had to think long and hard on the reality of your life being taken in exchange for another, I think the decision would be way harder to make....

another thing that helps is that people often have a skewed view of risk. whatever foolish thing you attempt, you always think 'aw heck, I'll be ok'. Because you feel you're master of your own fate, you believe you'll somehow get yourself out of any situation. On the other hand, risks you have no influence on - i.e. risks to others - seem disproportionately worrying. When Belgrade was being bombed, for instance, the people who had managed to escape to other countries were driven frantic with worry for the friends and relatives they left behind at home - the news they could see on foreign television were sketchy and alarming, it was hard to get through by phone, and those who were far from the events kept imagining worst case scenarios, with the streets burning and littered with charred corpses. Those who were in the country, on the other hand, knew what was really going on, and while no one got great kicks out of the ground shaking night after night, people mostly remained pretty calm and went about their days as best they could...

it's funny, you'd imagine being in the country being bombed would be worse than not being in it... turns out it's the opposite :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L wrote:
I clicked the link couldn't view any articles? is it a video?
Look to the right... there's only the highlights, although I thought the same when I saw that page

@Celandine: You got a lot of points there celandine. I agree with about all of it :)

It's all human nature to strive to stay alive and some people break that nature to keep someone else alive. Love is a strong.
  • Danielius
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes i would.
  • shannonlin
  • Born
  • Born
  • shannonlin

Post 3+ Months Ago

for my lover, i want to do anything for him, and to be true, if he asks u to die or do sth. terrible. that is a tough question around ur mind does he loves u? if not, dont do any stupid things... just to be ur self.
  • Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Auburn, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may sound a little harsh, and it might be messed up that I've actually thought these situations out before - but here's the truth of the matter.

If it were my dad, he would die. If it were my mother, I'm not sure what the outcome would be. There would be the fact I would not want to leave my siblings without a mother, but I also know my mother would probably go crazy if I died. It would really depend on the situation - is this an impulse thing? If it were my little brother or sister, I'm pretty sure I would die for them.

If it were my boyfriend/fiance (informal, long story, don't try and tell me I'm crazy, that's already been established), I think I would die, but the cause would be purely selfish. I would much rather die than live without him, and he would likely go nuts from the grief of it. I'd like to think in such a situation we'd either both get away or die - twistedly romantic id'nt it? ...

Anyone else is too far off for me to say or to really have thought about it. I like to think I'm the kind of person who would run into a flaming building to save a total stranger, but if the situation were to actually happen... who can know unless it does?

In the end, what matters most in my brain seems to be whether the person in question would be younger or older than me. If I think about my cousin Nick who's in his early 20's, I don't think I'd die for him. But if I think about my other cousin who's just now turning 2 years old, I'm pretty sure I would die for him. I am just naturally very protective of younger people, especially little children.

:Edit: Um, what I said about my dad dying almost made it sound as if I didn't like him. Don't get me wrong, I love my dad, he is just very protective of everyone in his family, and when I think about it, I know he'd die for me and I'd run. That's all.
  • justontime
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • justontime

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would definitely not want to be put in the situation to choose between my life and that of someone I love .
I don't know what I would do.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts