Voting Chart

Total votes : 15

Would you pay for wifi?

•  
    Yes
  •  
    No
  •  
    Sometimes depending on circumstances - flight length, cost, etc.
  •  
    Undecided
  •  
    Not something I would use anyway

Would you pay for wifi when you fly?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Although I no longer fly as frequently as I once did, the idea of having wifi available in flight has always been an attractive one to me. However, from this article, enthusiasm drops substantially when travelers have to pay for it.

Quote:
The good: Air travelers love Wi-Fi. The bad: They don't like having to pay for it. According to one consultant, "There's a very substantial decline in passenger usage the minute you start charging for the service."

More than 500 airliners are flying around the U.S. with wireless Internet access up and running, but airlines are finding that the technology that they hope will bring new revenues may be more like in-flight meals: People gobbled up food when it was free, but they find it a lot less appetizing when they have to pay.

"There's a very substantial decline in passenger usage the minute you start charging for the service," said Michael Planey, a consultant specializing in in-flight passenger technologies. "It really begins to invalidate the model on which this service is being built for the next 10 years."

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I would only pay for it on really long flights. When we flew from Las Vegas to Miami the flight was around 8 hours, I would have definetely paid for it there as I think it would have made the flight seem shorter. On short flights (a few hours or less) I am not sure the benefits would be worth the costs.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Delta offers it. I flew to Anaheim, CA last week and would have done it but didn't feel like spending $9.95 for access.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Therein lies the real question - I'm willing to pay for it, but am I willing to pay what THEY think it's worth? No.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since the poll was new and only three votes I added one more option that I think makes it a little more all-encompassing. Apologies to the couple who already voted.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do the USB offerings from Verizon and company not work in the air ?
Do they actually not let you use cellphones up there ?

I guess that would explain why you couldn't use the USB things, I imagine they use the same airwaves as a phone does since it's the phone company.

I've never flown, I'm actually afraid to. If flying is anything like an 8 hour Greyhound trip I would definitely pay $10 for the Internet during the trip. I pay that much for a ~2 hour movie anyways, getting the Internet for 8 hours would seem like a bargain.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I don't understand the marketing strategy at all. This is really simple. Airline prices fluctuate so much as it is. You could pay $200 for a flight this week, a month later, fly to the same place, same airline, same flight times and pay $500. People that need to fly are going to buy the ticket regardless. What is so difficult about incorporating the cost of the meals they used to serve for "free" and the price of wifi in the ticket? They could probably make a substantial profit by simply adding $10 or $15 to each ticket price, then serve the food and the wifi for "free" just like the old days. When it comes bundled like that, people perceive it as "free" and the airlines make a profit off of those that don't eat or use the service.

Maybe I was just in retail too long, but to me it's a no-brainer.

When I worked for a furniture company, customers could by pieces of furniture individually, but the marketing strategy was "buy it by the roomful". The "roomful" was discounted (albeit not substantially) but the perceived savings was there. The profit was realized in the added volume by multiple piece purchases. The customer perceived one price.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder how they manage that, do you think it is some sort of proxy kind of thing like in motels. At motels when you connect to the wireless you usually go through their proxy where you put in a username and password they give you at the front counter. On the airplanes will they confront you with the proxy asking for a credit card number before letting you surf?

And how would they secure that? One of my favorite motel past times is spoofing people's MAC addresses and hijacking their connection (its a lot less harmful than it sounds). So technically couldn't a crafty cracker hijack someones connection on the plane while the victim is still paying for it?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's a lot like any land based wifi provider that isn't free. You pay for the service to access it. For example AA uses gogo

http://www.gogoinflight.com/

Details, rates, etc here
http://www.gogoinflight.com/jahia/Jahia ... /gogoPrice

From Aircell (gogo's parent company)
http://www.aircell.com/index.php?option ... technology
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think I would pay for it, personally. Anymore I find myself savouring time away from my computers. Plus, I can always browse on my phone. :)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would all depend on how much they charge. If it was per hour then i'd say no. If i was to be in favour of it i would be keen on it being all inclusive with the cost of the flight allowing unlimited time or having it as a one off day package...meaning you would pay one sum of about £/$/€20 for a days usage on that airline. Handy if you are connecting flights etc etc.

I know if i had access to the internet during my flight to Melbourne from London it would have made the flight feel shorter. They had television screens on the back of the headrest in seat in front which had hours of entertainment, whether it was music, movies, TV programs or games to choose from. That was entertaining, but there was only so much you could do before it got boring...i mean the full length of my flight from London to Melbourne was about 24 hours (with a 1 hour stop off in hong Kong), so after a few hours of browsing you just got a bit boring.

The internet has many more hours of entertainment on it, and it is constantly being updated so it would have easily filled in the time in which i was sitting on my seat twiddling my thumbs.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now when I fly it's almost always to Dallas. That's a 3 hour flight for me. I normally work offline on my laptop for the duration. I was looking at GOGO's rate of $0.05 I'm thinking, heck, I'd spend more than that if I went to see a 1.5 hour movie at a theater. To me that's a bargain.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any tips on places to eat downtown? I'm heading to October Rules Fest (ORF 2009) for a week with my boss at the end of October and we'll be staying at the Adolphus. Never stayed in Dallas before.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to check out Reunion Tower. Even if just for drinks. It's pricey but awesome. Rotates completely once every hour to see the entire Dallas skyline.

http://www.reuniontower.com/docs/reunion-tower-info.pdf

For fun and good BBQ there's always Dicks Last Resort
http://dallas.dickslastresort.com/

Dakota's is pretty popular for Steak
http://www.dallasrestaurants.com/restau ... Steakhouse

Really just take a walk around the West End. Anybody can tell you how to get there. There's something there for every taste.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome. :) thanks - I've been to a Dick's before. Back when I was a teen I picked that for my 'you-pick night' on a family vacation and my dad about decked the host when we walked in. haha
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you happen to be in Austin, check out Alamo Draft House. Dinner and a movie and a beer!
  • sezerb
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sezerb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would pay for it if the price was right.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Alamo Draft House. Dinner and a movie and a beer!

Sounds good, but I don't think we'll make it down to Austin. The conference takes the majority of the day every day. :/

I thought about this a bit and I almost decided to group myself with the "depends on the length" group, but this feeling isn't new to me. Every time I get a good bit of time at the airport and end up wandering around, I end up buying a book to read on the flight/wait or any layover time. I've probably done this 5 or so times. I never read the book. I started one or two, but never finish a single one.

Internet access on a plane would be the same to me. I'd log in, check my email accounts, check up on Ozzu, reddit, aaaand in 15 mins I'm all caught up. Done.

Even in the event that I intentionally waste time on the intertubez because I'm paying for it, I'm inclined to believe the warm-fuzzy that gives me won't be enough to outweigh the constant nuisance that I'll have to endure from the incessant business people who will certainly now be at their worst ever given the increased potential business time.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

My girlfriend reminded me of Trail Dust too. Good steakhouse. It's "catch" is if you walk in with a tie, they cut it off and hang it on their walls.

You bring up some good points UPSGuy. Actually when I read your post I was thinking to myself, that I always use my laptop in flight anyway, but I also always have offline work that I can do, so in essence for that short duration, don't really need the internet anyway. And I wouldn't be doing any serious work anyway (most likely spend the flight playing poker). Whereas offline work, I'd actually be accomplishing something
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
My girlfriend reminded me of Trail Dust too. Good steakhouse. It's "catch" is if you walk in with a tie, they cut it off and hang it on their walls.

haha - I love it! My boss always gives me hell for putting my tie on after I get to work (when I ride my bike in) and taking it off at the earliest possible moment I can. If I could get him in there with his tie still on, it would be worth it. :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's almost priceless. Would be worth it!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would if I would be flying for more than 2 hours...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I notice so far there are no definite "yes" votes. Seems to support the premise of the article I linked to.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
haha - I love it! My boss always gives me hell for putting my tie on after I get to work (when I ride my bike in) and taking it off at the earliest possible moment I can.)

Thats got to be a clip on tie!
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Thats got to be a clip on tie!

Not quite. It's the zipper kind! Just kidding. What makes you think that? That I can put it on after I get here? Once you do it every day for a while, it becomes remedial.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

did I really hear the proposal of "free" anything and airline in the same sentence? I don't know about other countries but US air carriers are so worried about the fact that they're losing money from skipping business 101 that you have to pay for everything even luggage and even then they're prone to break it.

I might pay for wifi on a 6+ hr flight but anything less than that probably isn't worth it. But then I don't have any mission critical email either...
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please excuse the tangent for a moment - have you seen the second part yet? I like this guy - he's persistent. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-UoERHaSQg
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

The ending after the credits is the best part.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh god that's funny. What's so close to home about it, I was just at guitar center and saw their repair rates. $1200 to repair a guitar would probably be about spot on.
  • herman31
  • Born
  • Born
  • herman31

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure I would if there was a strong need to use the internet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts