27 year old man gets 30 months in prison for spamming AOL

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
A Brooklyn man was sentenced to 30 months in prison on Tuesday for sending spam e-mails to more than 1.2 million subscribers of America Online in a scheme that foiled the Internet company's spam-filtering system.

Quote:
Spamming is serious criminal conduct; this is not a teenager engaging in child's play," U.S. District Judge Denny Chin told Vitale as he sentenced him. Vitale earlier apologized and said he had learned a lesson.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080715/wr_ ... sa_spam_dc

I love hearing news like this, this is exactly what spammers deserve.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

for the last 3 weeks I've been trying to figure out how to rid my network of the watch replica spam without filtering legit mails
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

He should get a further 30 months for being arrogant enough to expect a low sentence through crying "sorry". Apologies are all fair, but what he did was cause alot of people alot of hassle and also contributing (i've no doubt) into some scams.

His sentence was quite generous.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's brilliant that internet crimes are being prosecuted now in the civilised world.... serbia still doesn't have a law on internet crimes (one is now in preparation but heaven knows when that would be ready) so we can't even prosecute people like that. it's all too new...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ... I think half of our country are only now realizing what the internet is ... and all it is being used for is emails and facebook ... but I'm glad spammers are being punished a bit ...

It is a little funny though, imagine the first conversation with his cell-mate ...
cell-mate:I'm in for killing my wife, burning down my house and stealing a car and ramming a police car with it ... what you in for?
spammer:spamming.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been getting lots of spam to my personal email that say they are from admin@blahblah (always the same domain name), it is quite obvious that the perpetrator is a first timer. He links to websites with registered domain names, and when I look up the domain names in a whois database, they all have the same person's name and physical address and phone number and email address. I'm thinking revenge sounds good right now......
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
It is a little funny though, imagine the first conversation with his cell-mate ...
cell-mate:I'm in for killing my wife, burning down my house and stealing a car and ramming a police car with it ... what you in for?
spammer:spamming.

cell-mate: Yeah, well let me show you just how well your herbal pills can work...
spammer: *gulp*
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Am I the only person who thinks that the sentence is ridiculous?

While I agree that spam is quite possibly the most annoying thing ever, and I hate spammers as much as the next guy, 30 months in prison seems rather extreme. After all, spam may be annoying, and it does take up space and bandwidth (I completely agree he should have to pay AOL the cash), but at it's not really harmful in the grand scheme of things.

In a way, I'd compare it to giving a 30 month sentence to someone who plays loud music at night and keeps up his neighbours (annoying, like spam - just in your ears, not the inbox), or to someone for tagging a building (again, annoying, and in the way - just on a building instead of in an inbox), or even to the people who send advertisements via the post (in the mailbox, not the inbox). Sure, it's annoying - and at least in the music player and tagger's cases, something should be done (after all, your not getting sleep or need to repaint your building) - but 30 months would seem extreme for them, don't you think?

After all - how hard is it to click "delete?"

[sarcasm]Besides - don't they deserve it for using AOL?[/sarcasm]
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you might be missing the whole point in the sentence.

Not everyone knows what is spam and what is not spam. Take Phishing for example, it's just simply wrong and illegal. It's like dressing up as a company sales man, going to your front door and convincing someone to sign on to this "fantastic new and cheap policy" with fake forms asking for some bank details etc etc. The spammer is the fake salesman, he's just as bad as the guys that are taking the information.

Infact, i'd go as far as to say that they are the salesman that just won't give up and rather than waiting for acceptance to arrive into your lounge to explain their meaning, they instead just tell you it whether you like it or not.

Yes, people can just click delete. But it shouldn't be this way, and for spammers to recieve sentencing like that it might actually put people off in the future. 30 months in prison? not worth it to be honest.
  • tEeNpReNuEr
  • tEeNpReNuEr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hob Bramble wrote:
Am I the only person who thinks that the sentence is ridiculous?

While I agree that spam is quite possibly the most annoying thing ever, and I hate spammers as much as the next guy, 30 months in prison seems rather extreme. After all, spam may be annoying, and it does take up space and bandwidth (I completely agree he should have to pay AOL the cash), but at it's not really harmful in the grand scheme of things.

In a way, I'd compare it to giving a 30 month sentence to someone who plays loud music at night and keeps up his neighbours (annoying, like spam - just in your ears, not the inbox), or to someone for tagging a building (again, annoying, and in the way - just on a building instead of in an inbox), or even to the people who send advertisements via the post (in the mailbox, not the inbox). Sure, it's annoying - and at least in the music player and tagger's cases, something should be done (after all, your not getting sleep or need to repaint your building) - but 30 months would seem extreme for them, don't you think?

After all - how hard is it to click "delete?"

[sarcasm]Besides - don't they deserve it for using AOL?[/sarcasm]

I am sure there are ways around receiving email from these spammers. One is...NOT use AOL as you said LOL.

Yahoo is just as bad. I prefer gmail really but some Nigerian spam mail get into my spambox. It does not really matter as much for I just purge those out of the spambox.

30 months is just too much I think. Maybe a year or two plus make it hurt financially. That should have a bigger impact on those who are still spamming and a bigger deterrent to those planning on spamming.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

it isn't ridiculous for the sole reason that it presents a real and serious deterrent to others who might be thinking of committing a similar offense.

to me this is very similar to the law in Hong Kong (was it?) where littering in the street (even throwing down as much as a bubblegum wrapper) is fined with 800$ (that's Hong Kong dollars, but it's still an awful lot of money). ridiculous? sure. Is throwing a bubblegum wrapper on the street a dreadful offense? not really. but guess what - after a few people paid these astronomical fines, suddenly nobody even thought of throwing litter down in the streets..... fantastic deterrent :D the option of littering gets immediately deleted from the national consciousness. I think it's a kick-ass method.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The spammer got what he deserves. That doesn't only make spammers think if spamming really worth it. I get spam from Australia and *plum* like that but it only goes to the spam box and I don't even click delete. Spam box removes spam in 30 days.

Or I select all with one click and delete all with one click. Easy.

What I mean to say is, the spammer (Like SB said) can be like a salesperson who is asking for personal information, and if the person receiving the spam is stupid enough to believe the mail and actually do that, than their life is ruined... maybe not for long but it could be for ever. Depends on what the spammer does... like buy a Bugatti on someone else's card... as it sounds funny at the same time it's more than evil and THAT'S when 30 months isn't enough.

It's like teaching a child to behave... if you start late it might be too serious for you to do anything or it might take you a long time to re-teach the child from what the kid was grown to and used to do...

I agree with celandine and everyone else who says the spammer deserves it :lol:
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think 2.5 years in prison is a bit harsh but just a bit. We all know that spamming is wrong and annoying at least, so he knew the actions he was taking. I am glad they are punishing for these kinds of things now.
  • motherknucker
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Nowhere and Everywhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spamming is punishable !!!
Can we know what are the exact rules
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, there is only one. Don't spam!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a cool scam baiting story, I wish I could pull off stuff like this:

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

I love it!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:

I love it!

OMG that's hilarious ... gotta love it ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
kc0tma wrote:

I love it!

OMG that's hilarious ... gotta love it ...

hahaha lol wow hahaha lol... haha ha
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh wow this man is my hero..... go web vigilantes!!! :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts