Do you agree with me that this is going too far?

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

dancingthrootuesday wrote:
robots will never have emotions...they can have stimulated emotions and calculate that they're supposed to "feel" nervous or excited or happy, and then respond accordingly -- but it's all artificial. if robots become a part of society and one day believe that humans are harmful to them based on their calculations...then we have a problem!

Here and here surprised me but I am worried that they will become part of our society and develop feelings on their own. Then, we can not just destroy them.

There are also related videos at the sidebar.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think to believe robots can never have emotions shows a thought process that is much less scientific than it is religious or emotional, and overall shows a lack of capacity for understanding the world around oneself.

Basic knowledge of chemistry will show you that the only difference between robots and humans is the complexity of what makes each of us what we are.

If you want to know what would happen if robots developed emotions comparable to that of humans, study childeren. Childeren will grow up and kill us all long before robots will ever learn to fart and flap the covers.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Miscalculations in the program that; humans are harmful, and they have to defend themselves; just like anti-virus that runs update every specified amount of day.

Of course, the inventor will be the culprit then.

:)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMHO robots will have AI/emotions, etc, when we figure out how God gave them to us and we can pass it on. Until then they are just machines we're still fiddling with.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Jules is the first humanoid robot who can realistically mimic a real person's expressions merely by watching their face

Okay, to begin with, I would like to announce I am not against nor totally happy with this article. I am just reading this and trying to share. Hope it will not cause controversial. The original article can be read here

I highly salute the intelligence of the scientists creating a software that can mimic human's face reaction by using a video directly linking(or something) to Jules systems. What also worries me is just that; not necessarily I may sound logic here -- is when violent videos are being watched by Jules.

In technological sector, it sure has made a very huge leap towards technology scientific discovery.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I promise that I'm not going to play the high and mighty "I know the answer to everything" role here, but here's my thoughts on the topic as a psychology minor (and no, I don't enjoy lattes or black turtlenecks):

At this point in human technology, we do not have the capability to produce an artificial being that comes even close to being able to "feel" human emotions. Emotions are a purely biochemical entity that even the best AI implementations cannot mimic. No matter how complex the algorithm, the fact remains that the human mind does not function in the same way as conventional computers, and thus until a more advanced means of computation is developed, AI technology will be limited to our current computational capabilities.

I don't think you have anything to worry about for quite a while George ;)
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, spork, I understand your point. And also Joe and Mark I can understand you too.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the aesthetic is more convincing than the underlying technology. Further, I'm not sure we've come as far as we think we have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carousel_of_Progress

I think mankind will likely be able to engineer humans from humans (DNA manipulation) before they're able to engineer humans from machines.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I think mankind will likely be able to engineer humans from humans (DNA manipulation) before they're able to engineer humans from machines.

That makes sense.

Kinda like hacking a programming library to make it do a few things differently rather than rewrite it from scratch.

Or Frankenstien.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts