Tracking YouTube with Google Analytics

• CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Chicago, IL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it possible to create a link on YouTube that once clicked, it will direct the user to my site and I will be able to track which YouTube video it came from, as well as where the visitor (person who click the link) is located?

This is what we would like to happen:
1. Add our videos to YouTube.
2. Add a link to our website on YouTube.
3. When a visitor clicks the link we added on YouTube to our website.
4. We want to be able to track which video the visitor came from, we also want to learn general tracking information like visitor’s location, dates, time, how long the visitor was on our website and what pages they visited.

Is this possible using Google Analytics and/or another link tracking software?

Thank you,

cgfX
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

While looking at one of your website profiles in Google Analytics go to the Traffic Sources sidebar item. Under that menu go to the Referring Sites tab. This will bring up a list of referring websites, YouTube should be listed among them. Clicking on youtube in that list will drill deeper into youtube as a referrer and give you the pages at youtube that are referrers.

That will get you the basic information. If you look at the two dropdowns directly above the list pages, and play with it a bit, you may be able to get the rest of the info you're looking for.
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert,

I will try that today and post an update. I also learned about tagging links and auto tagging. That also appears to be a good route to take.

Thank you again,

cgfX
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert,

Well I gave it a try, it appears that YouTube. I am trying to find a way to link Annotations to my personal website. I appears at this time those YouTube annotations only link within YouTube.

Second I created a link to my personal website in the video description area. When clicked it opened up a window with my website in it, but the clicks did not show up in Google Analytics.

I know you can buy banner space in YouTube for your ads. But I wonder if that will show up in Google Analytics?

Thank again,

cgfX
  • Elia1234
  • Elia1234

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google Analytics is not real-time, it takes 10-12 hours for the statistics to get updated, so basically if you clicked now you'll see the result tomorrow.
You can see if YT annotations are dofollow or not in the source code of their pages. I haven't checked but I guess they are dofollow.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts