Chinese Hackers broke into Google Gmail Accounts

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google has blamed hackers in China for the recent break into personal Gmail accounts of hundreds of users which includes a senior U.S. government official, Chinese political activists, and officials in severeal Asian countries. This break-in that was announced today is the second time in the last two years that Google has announced publicly that China was the source for attacks against their services.

Quote:
Through the strength of our cloud-based security and abuse detection systems*, we recently uncovered a campaign to collect user passwords, likely through phishing. This campaign, which appears to originate from Jinan, China, affected what seem to be the personal Gmail accounts of hundreds of users including, among others, senior U.S. government officials, Chinese political activists, officials in several Asian countries (predominantly South Korea), military personnel and journalists.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/ ... -safe.html

Quote:
It’s important to stress that our internal systems have not been affected—these account hijackings were not the result of a security problem with Gmail itself. But we believe that being open about these security issues helps users better protect their information online.

They recommend enabling 2-step verification on your account which uses a phone and second password on sign-in which has protected some users against this attack. Other ways include setting up a stronger password, check for suspicious forwarding addresses, and only enter your password at the proper sign-in for at Google.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm really glad that I don't use gmail, hotmail, yahoo, facebook, twitter, myspace, linkedin or any other garbage that I forgot to list.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Phishing != breaking in. It doesn't matter what service you're using.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would disagree, I think from the user's perspective, someone still broke into their account.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What happened to Sony was "breaking in". Intelligent users were affected in that case because what happened had nothing to do with the user itself, only the lack of security measures on Sony's part. Phishing is different. Tricking someone into giving you his/her password doesn't require "breaking in" to anything, i.e. bypassing security measures.

I agree that from a user's perspective, information was stolen. But users need to wise up (I know, not going to happen), but this was not entirely Google's fault.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agree with spork, but I believe thats why google mentioned that last part. Looks like they published it just to make people aware.
  • The Leader
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting worried now. First Sony and I have my credit card detail there and now gmail but at least I have no financial details there.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel like adding something completely random to this topic :P

The title of the topic is "Chinese Hackers broke into Google Gmail Accounts" and i know this is pointless to say but in the picture it seams that it is a white guy in a balaclava not a Asian in a balaclava. It is false advertising i tells ya..............lol
  • jharvey1029
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jharvey1029
  • Loc: New Castle, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
I feel like adding something completely random to this topic :P

The title of the topic is "Chinese Hackers broke into Google Gmail Accounts" and i know this is pointless to say but in the picture it seams that it is a white guy in a balaclava not a Asian in a balaclava. It is false advertising i tells ya..............lol

lmao now thats what I call an eye for detail. Its like celebs being used to sell their products and services. We all know thats not what those celebs use. But some ?!@ss will think they do and so they go out and buy it. Oh boy!!
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know my girlfriends gmail has been hacked - and she's not so ignorant as to give away her password or username. Interestingly enough, gmail was built smart enough to recognize if you suddenly log in from a different country than usual - and let her know the next time she logged in. She was prompted to change her password, but it happened again only a couple days later. Hopefully this 2-step varification deal helps. Although I'm pretty sure that's only going to help phishing.

As a sidenote, you can use this tool to see where servers are getting attacked the most (I'm guessing DDoS attacks). I came across it a while ago when I was researching facebook - this is the company who hosts their service.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts