Does Google Translate Fetch Pages?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you plug a URL into Google Translate to have the page translated, does Google fetch a fresh copy of that page or does it just return a translated version of their cached copy of the page ?

In my test, Google appears to be fetching a fresh copy of my page. I typically have a timestamp for when a page was generated either in an HTML comment or in a footer that's invisible until an access key us used. Here are the timestamps for the index page I tested.

Code: [ Select ]
translate -- 1266923983 (the page returned from Google translate)
snippet -- 1266865130 (The snippet in SERPs when searching for the URL)
cached -- 1266865130 (The page returned when clicking "Cached" in SERPs)
live -- 1266923983 (The page returned from my browser book mark
  1. translate -- 1266923983 (the page returned from Google translate)
  2. snippet -- 1266865130 (The snippet in SERPs when searching for the URL)
  3. cached -- 1266865130 (The page returned when clicking "Cached" in SERPs)
  4. live -- 1266923983 (The page returned from my browser book mark

It appears that translate returned the live page in this case.

I'm having a problem where this really matters to me though. You see, one of my link exchange partner sites recently got hijacked by something nasty that returns penis spam any time Google requests the page. I notified the partner of the situation and let them know I had to take them off my list until things got fixed.

Well today, I received an email response from this partner and they assure me they've fixed their server and that things will be fine after Googles next update. I'm not so sure, because when I use Translate to check their site I'm still getting the penis spam.

Now, if I search for their URL I can also see the penis spam in the SERPs. The "cached" link shows the same thing. If Translate was using Googles cached copy of the page I could understand, but as you can see in my test of my own domains, Translate seems to fetch a fresh copy of a page to translate, which would mean the partner hasn't actually fixed it or they've somehow been reinfected.

My problem is I have no way to date the page Translate gives me in their case. I'm unable to tell if it's the cache or a live copy.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been able to answer one of my questions, as whatever has infected their site is only looking at the User-Agent and the following fetch gave me the penis spam page.

Code: [ Select ]
wget --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)" "http://www.domain.com/"

I'd still like to know if Translate always fetches a fresh copy, or uses cached pages though. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts