Google Maps Navigation

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Say goodbye to satelite navigation that you will need to pay for...

Free Google sat-nav shakes market

Not great for those who have already paid for their sat nav. Being someone who bought a sat nav a year ago, i can only hope that Tom Tom take a step in introducing free map updates seeming as Google are offering this service for free.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I can see why stocks might have fallen for US based Garmin, but not certain why the drop for TomTom since currently it's only available in the US and only on phones running Android 2

Quote:
Google Maps Navigation is currently only available in the United States on phones that run Android 2.0, including the Droid.

Obviously nothing is free. Looks like another impressive marketing ploy on Google's part to promote Android and the Droid phones. Which obviously is where they are making their money on this.

Kind of reminds me of printers. Printers are dirt cheap. They get you with the ink refills that cost more than the printer per refill.
  • TopTraffic
  • TopTraffic.org
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I used to work with Igo, and I am quite satisfied. The interesting combination of Google maps on mobile and "track location" feature was awesome.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whilst it is not a live sattelite feed, i have found the Google Maps app on the iPhone handy when navigating to areas. It's much more up to date than my 1 year old Tom Tom. Major downside is that it doens't follow you in real time to where you are, the only way the app knows where you are is when you aleart it.

It was inevitable that software like this would soon be available on the Android phone and i've no doubt there will be a cheaper alternative to a sat nav on the iphone too. I know there is already some apps already for sat nave, but they cost nearly as much as a Tom Tom does.

Do you not get Tom Tom in America? i was sure i heard someone talk of it in America.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have google maps on my windows mobile phone. I use the hell out of it.

Unfortunaltly I don't have GPS enabled on my phone so i can't use all of the features.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

there has been a google navigator for the windows brand of phones for a while now. it utilises the google maps API, allows downloading areas of maps for use when not within wifi range and voice navigation... problem is that you have to pay for the software and that its bloody awful lol
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quite happy to stick to the Maps app that is pre installed on iphone. Has a navigation system however it doesn't follow your steps, so you have to click to the next direction when you have completed the first one.

Still very good though because it allows you to see the steet photos just like in Google Maps (albeit i think this app is run by Google). So if you doubt your location you can see a photo of it.

Absolutely love this app on the iPhone.
  • hrushikeshw
  • Born
  • Born
  • hrushikeshw
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope its available from every cell phone at free of cost soon.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts