Are reciprocal links considered spam?

• Willson
  • Born
  • Born
  • Willson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can any one tell me Are reciprocal links considered spam? Are they counted towards my link popularity? Aren't they ruining the business image of my site?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bompa
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippine Islands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Willson wrote:
Can any one tell me Are reciprocal links considered spam? Are they counted towards my link popularity? Aren't they ruining the business image of my site?

Spam is defined differently by different people.

I can only say that Google prohibits the "I'll link to you,
if you link to me" arrangement in their TOS/Guidelines.

Imo, a few recips are ok, but a link exchange service might
be considered a bit tacky.

Bompa
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Google prohibits the "I'll link to you,

Really ? Wow, here all this time I thought swapping links with relevant sites was a good idea. :scratchhead:

I don't even finish reading emails that ask me about links when the site they're suggesting has hardly anything to do with mine or there's any hint of cash changing hands. I like to swap details with people that have sites in different sub-categories of my main category though.

For instance if I have a Widget Battery site and someone has a Widget Cover site, I like to exchange with them. They're not direct competition but still relevant as far as Widgets are concerned.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exchanging links is okay if done moderately.
If you overdid it, then it MIGHT be seen as spam.

Google discourages too much link exchange (I tried looking for the site to prove this, but I can't, I'll still look for it).

// Moderator edit -- Found it

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... er=35769#3

Quality guidelines - basic principles wrote:
Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank. In particular, avoid links to web spammers or "bad neighborhoods" on the web, as your own ranking may be affected adversely by those links.

"Link Schemes" defines a case relevant to this thread
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=66356
I've marked the important word in bold.

Examples of link schemes can include wrote:
Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you.")
  • Blackwood
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Blackwood

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have always considered hand picked reciprocal linking to be a safe strategy. Especially if the sites you are linking to are of a similar niche/topic.
  • Blackwood
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Blackwood

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not think there is a problem with it. Having 1 page of recip links is worthwhile. The only way it could become a problem is if you had numerous link pages on your site instead of just the one.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bompa wrote:
Willson wrote:

Spam is defined differently by different people.

I can only say that Google prohibits the "I'll link to you,

In Google own guidelines at http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=35769

Quote:
Keep the links on a given page to a reasonable number (fewer than 100).

but I can list unlimited amounts of web-sites have more than 100 links in their homepages and rank #1 at the most competitive keywords.

So do Google lie? Of course not, basic guidelines have been taught for the starter web-sites.
If usatoday.com put 1000 links and thousands of link exchanges, you will still see usatoday.com when you search "usa today"
  • dvdtvshows
  • Born
  • Born
  • dvdtvshows
  • Loc: Chicago IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

On a related note, if reciprocal links are OK, what's the accepted location for such links?

Does it make sense anymore to have a "links" page on your website of links to others sites?

I used to do that on my old e-commerce site, but have not done it on my new forum site ( tvwas ). I had heard that that type of page was an obsolete way to build reciprocal links.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts