Bounce Rate and SEO

• undoIT
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have read a couple of articles that correlate bounce rate and search engine performance (at least for Google). I'm trying to figure out what exactly is considered a bounce and some other stuff, so I made a list of questions:

1. What is the duration for a single page visit until it is no longer considered a bounce when a visitor leaves?

2. What if a visitor lands on a page, and then visits another page within 5 seconds and then closes the browser. Is that considered a bounce?

3. When external links are opened in a new window (i.e. target_blank, rel="external", onclick=... etc) is it considered a bounce? Is there any difference between using HTML and Javascript to open a new window?

4. If opening external links in a new window is considered a bounce, does it change anything if the user then comes back to the site which has remained opened and then starts browsing around?

TIA :)
  • buckyuk
  • Born
  • Born
  • buckyuk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just reading a similar article on the future of SEO, Basically insinuating that your bounce rate is going to affect your serps.

But surely then, if you wanted to foil your competitors SEO efforts you could just pay for a block of one of they crappy 10,000 hits things that is only gona increase the bounce rate.

Surely its something that can be too easily affected by competitors and cant be part of the search engine algorithm.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bounce rate and free search in Google are not related in any way. Possibly in the future, but nothing at all right now.
  • Designarcade
  • Designarcade
  • Loc: Kolkata, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello TIA,

Greetings !!

1. What is the duration for a single page visit until it is no longer considered a bounce when a visitor leaves? -- It depends on the time out session of the page...As such there are no industry standard for setting the same...

2. What if a visitor lands on a page, and then visits another page within 5 seconds and then closes the browser. Is that considered a bounce? -- No matter for how much he stays at the 2nd page..but if at all he moves to the 2nd page...It wont be considered as a bounce rather it is considered as Exit

3. When external links are opened in a new window (i.e. target_blank, rel="external", onclick=... etc) is it considered a bounce? Is there any difference between using HTML and Javascript to open a new window? -- Actually it depends on the link...If the link which is popping out points to a page on the website itself...then it is not considered as bounce...and if it re-directs the visitor to some body else's site...then it is called as bounce..

4. does it change anything if the user then comes back to the site which has remained opened and then starts browsing around? -- If the user comes within the time out session which is normally 30 mins...then it is not considered as bounce..

Hope the above answers your queries...:)

Regards
Smita
  • bin
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • bin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All,

Just check out the link below...this will answer all questions related to BOUNCE RATE...it helped me a lot...

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/ ... -questions

regards.
  • wgrasty
  • Born
  • Born
  • wgrasty

Post 3+ Months Ago

@Designarcade:

For #3 - what if I create a vanity URL that forwards to another site in a new browser window? Is that considered a bounce?

We do a lot of contests with other vendors, so we have links to a domain that they created. We are trying to avoid a high bounce rate from showing in our analytics. Any suggestions? Ultimately, we want to know how many clicks to each contest and whether or not they are coming back.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts