Domain Age: How Important Is It for SEO?

• bizlegal
  • Born
  • Born
  • bizlegal

Post 3+ Months Ago

While the patent does sound rather straightforward (by the way its official version is no longer available online, so it might have been deleted), domain age factor is both overestimated and misinterpreted. My point is simple: domain registration date cannot speak for either quality or trustworthiness of a website as:

* domains can be registered but never used for a long time (parked);
* new domains can be used for highly established companies (with the old domain 301-redirecting to the new one);
* a domain name can be used for illegitimate purposes for years and then sold to a “good” person/ company without any change of the initial registration date.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have any reference to this patent you're talking about, maybe someone quoted it in a blog/forum post somewhere, perhaps they'll mention a number you can look up ?
I have an odd feeling there's more to this patent than you're bringing up here.
  • sixthsense
  • sixthsense
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it is still a factor just like how old your website actually is. The question is what is the weight of these factors? Well I think light.
  • mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it is a factor for search engine rankings. I have experienced with this one domain which has a good domain age and with small amount of SEO work, this domain has worked very well in Search engines.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

mit wrote:
Well, it is a factor for search engine rankings. I have experienced with this one domain which has a good domain age and with small amount of SEO work, this domain has worked very well in Search engines.

What evidence can you provide that the age of the domain had anything to do with it's ranking in search engines?
  • harrysmith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harrysmith
  • Loc: Leeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been believed that older the domain name more the backlinks it may have and hence have more importance since it's been live on internet for along time.
PS : It should be active domain not just registered and forget in past !
  • lojogroup
  • lojogroup
  • Loc: Rocklin, Sacramento, CA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Search engines like Google like older domains as they have been online for long days, it is also a symbol of trust for search engines. It also shows that the company/person owned the website is serious about this website.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts