Google announced new algorithm to target spam keywords

• MarPlo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MarPlo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
Something that is interesting for webmasters, and SEO.
Google announced a new algorithm change to reduce the ranking of 'perceived' spammers.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2012/04/another-step-to-reward-high-quality.html

This latest update appears to target keyword stuffing (lists of keywords) and article spinning.
This will reduce the rank of the website with spam keywords in their content.
Moderator Remark: Updated link to official source of the news
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to Matt Cutts around 3% of queries are affected by this update. To compare the Panda update affected around 12% of queries I believe. There is lots of chatter around the internet about this update as it seems to have affected many competitive niches. Lots of website owners complaining, especially those who have bought or participated in lots of linking schemes.

For me I have not seen much change from this update, but it seems that for websites that have keywords that are highly competitive this update seems to be affecting them most. Many of the websites that were listed high for competitive keywords resorted to extensive SEO and optimization for backlinks to get those positions -- this update seems to be targeting those sites mostly. Now many of the results showing are websites who have never done SEO or participated in buying or building artificial backlinks.

In my opinion this is a good update. I think sites should be rewarded for naturally becoming popular -- not for those who did lots of manual work building artificial backlinks. I applaud Google for this change and hope that it enforces that companies should focus on content and pleasing their visitors, versus spending all of their time on trying do SEO just to rank for a certain term.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Panda update was BS and i did not buy backlinks either but 3% sounds better then 12%.

Lets hope it is a good thing.
  • hakanunsal
  • Born
  • Born
  • hakanunsal

Post 3+ Months Ago

good news for business!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
According to Matt Cutts around 3% of queries are affected by this update. To compare the Panda update affected around 12% of queries I believe. There is lots of chatter around the internet about this update as it seems to have affected many competitive niches. Lots of website owners complaining, especially those who have bought or participated in lots of linking schemes.

For me I have not seen much change from this update, but it seems that for websites that have keywords that are highly competitive this update seems to be affecting them most. Many of the websites that were listed high for competitive keywords resorted to extensive SEO and optimization for backlinks to get those positions -- this update seems to be targeting those sites mostly. Now many of the results showing are websites who have never done SEO or participated in buying or building artificial backlinks.

In my opinion this is a good update. I think sites should be rewarded for naturally becoming popular -- not for those who did lots of manual work building artificial backlinks. I applaud Google for this change and hope that it enforces that companies should focus on content and pleasing their visitors, versus spending all of their time on trying do SEO just to rank for a certain term.

hakanunsal wrote:
good news for business!

Does anyone think that those two quotes contradict each other? In my opinion "business" is when they use SEO to target certain terms. Maybe small private businesses that don't or didn't spend money on SEO but not big businesses... but then again, I'm not a guru on this.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i personally think that SEO is useless, popularity is the key. If i was big i would flow money into advertising to gain the traffic response. Paid traffic.

If the product = fun/interactive then the positive response would return 20%-50% of them users back and another 10-40% of talking and passing the word on.

any major brand i am sure would stand around hits of their brand name, depending on what product it is. SEO will only get you so far as in better bot reading of your site and regular clean updates but most of the work is in how popular that address is. 20% content and 80% popularity. Personally speaking of course, no concrete statistic's.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts