Google Introduces the +1 Button

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yesterday Google introduced the +1 button which is similar to the Facebook Like button in that you can socially share recommendations with the world. I have no doubt Google will start using this data as signals to help rank their pages too.

Quote:
Our goal at Google is to get you the most relevant results as quickly as possible. But relevance is about relationships as well as words on webpages. That’s why we recently started to include more information from people you know—stuff they’ve shared on Twitter, Flickr and other sites—in Google search results.

Today we’re taking that a step further, enabling you to share recommendations with the world right in Google’s search results. It’s called +1—the digital shorthand for “this is pretty cool.” To recommend something, all you have to do is click +1 on a webpage or ad you find useful. These +1’s will then start appearing in Google’s search results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAyUNI3_V2c

Eventually Google plans to allow websites to place the +1 buttons on their own web pages too, currently it is only showing in the Google Search results.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Eventually Google plans to allow websites to place the +1 buttons on their own web pages too, currently it is only showing in the Google Search results.

Sounds like it will be one more of those "must have" buttons along with digg, slashdot, stumbleupon and so on that some fill their sites with.

Not sure if I "like" this. :)
  • Koozai
  • Born
  • Born
  • Koozai
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's interesting that you'll see the button in results. In essence you can +1 a website before you've even seen it. I guess you could do that if you really liked a Meta description.
  • danielde
  • Born
  • Born
  • danielde

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've seen it yesterday myself and my first impression was "OMG! google facebook?" not even google can fight facebook

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts