Google Not Removing Old Page From Index When I Do A 301, Why

• skyvia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • skyvia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have done several 301's, e.g. /yadayada 301 to -> /yidiyidi. The things is...

The old pages with a 301 redirect are not removed from the index. I.E. yadayada has not been removed and yidiyidi has been added to the index...

And about one particular page I recently 301'd ... it's not even in the top 700 for the phrase that it's supposed to rank for, while the old page is ranked #14. (I suspect this is because the old page is not removed from the index, and Google therefore sees the new page as duplicate content).

This isn't normal behavior right? I mean aren't pages with a 301 supposed to be removed from the index? How long does this usually take?

I checked my headers with a header checker and the 301s are working correctly.

Can anybody tell what's going on here and how I can fix this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jocuri
  • Born
  • Born
  • jocuri
  • Loc: Romani

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should go in Google webmasters tools and check how the page redirects with their Google Crawl.

Also, sometimes Google keeps the old url but shows the content of your new page. So in your case google would keep /yadayada but if you would look in their chace the content would be from /yidiyidi
  • erikko
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • erikko

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why do 301 when you can do 404 error to redirect old pages from new ones or in your homepage.
  • wulaishiwo
  • wulaishiwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should give google time to deal with this, this accur to me before, and what I do is re-submit and wait.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts