Huge Drop in the SERPs

• Cerebro
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan & Mackinac

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering if anyone else noticed a significant decrease in the drop of their traffic lately. I run the website http://www.besthallsinmichigan.com. A majority of my traffic comes through organic search, I just checked and it looks like Google completely dropped me from the search result pages (I'm still indexed though). Basically I did over 300 reviews at once and scheduled the site to post 1 everyday (constant unique content). My Adsense was steadily climbing now it's a big fat zero.

Why did Google penalize me? How can I correct this? I have both webmaster tools and Analytics. I've included a screenshot of the traffic drop. The site went from 80 unique visitors to 2 :(
Attachments:
screenshot.jpg
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recently at SMX Matt Cutts said:

Quote:
Danny Sullivan: Talking about Panda, says that he’s getting a ton of emails from people who say that scraper sites are now outranking them after Panda.

Matt Cutts: A guy on my team working on that issue. A change has been approved that should help with that issue. We’re continuing to iterate on Panda. The algorithm change originated in search quality, not the web spam team.

So there is a chance they have started the next round of changes which could have affected you. You may want to read the entire conversation here:

http://searchengineland.com/smx-advance ... utts-80576

In your Google Webmasters area, is there any evidence that something has changed? When you goto Diagnostics and look at Crawl Stats and Crawl Errors, does anything look different there? Have you made any changes to your site recently?
  • Cerebro
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan & Mackinac

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read the post about Panda, didn't notice any crawl errors or issues with my crawl stats. I haven't made any changes to the website recently. Since the huge drop in traffic, I removed the outbound links from the expert bridal sponsor banners (other websites I own on different DNS's).

Any other thoughts from what you've heard? This is starting to worry me.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most of my traffic comes from bing but due to change over of server i disabled my forum for a while and there was a traffic drop from there which i guess was spam bots but even then there should of been more traffic then what i had. been going through all my logs trying to find more detail but from my data google is just for adsence and bing is pumping my traffic so yea i am not sure about what happened.

The recent spam botnets have been taken down recently so it could be all the spam bots are not running around anymore or as much.

We need more data to calculate the problem
  • linkbuildr
  • linkbuildr
  • Loc: Vancouver

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Zealous, we need a bit more information to diagnose this problem. I think it's extremely likely that Panda is involved, and - unfortunately - your posting/writing strategy may have been a factor in that. When I look at your "Best Halls in Michigan" website, the updates all seem to be written in a cookie-cutter format. While this is useful for real visitors to your website who want clearly-presented information on local halls, Google - via Panda tweaks - probably misinterpreted these posts as low-quality ("spammy") content because of their similarity to each other. Scheduling them in a repetitive 1-a-day manner also probably isn't helping, though we don't yet know for sure (Google, as always, is keeping their algorithm under wraps). I'll offer you some advice that Leah Baade gave me in a recent interview with Linkbuildr:

Pages with original, quality content, lots of backlinks, and low bounce rates will rank higher. Focus on your keyword strategy and SEO your content. And authority is key. It’s not going to be enough to outsource your copy to just anyone any more. Your content needs to be really good, written by real experts in your niche, or at least someone who will spend the time to thoroughly research the topic. Posts need to be longer than before to have impact – think at least 1,000 words, or even upwards or 2,000 or 3,000 words in length. Guest posting also works in your favour – get your name out there and start writing or providing interviews for other sites.

In short, even if it's not as convenient for your readers, I'd plump up your posts substantially (more text, maybe embed a photo or youtube video of the hall), schedule them a bit more erratically (even a few a day, if you like), and build your brand as a reliable authority on the topic. Post articles written by local wedding planners about which halls are best, etc.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

not sure if i have made this point yet but the botnet that was taken down by MS, have we calculated how much of them bots have been crawling our servers, after the botnet was taken down there was a huge drop in bandwidth which is around the same time everything else happened.
  • lojogroup
  • lojogroup
  • Loc: Rocklin, Sacramento, CA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

linkbuildr wrote:
While this is useful for real visitors to your website who want clearly-presented information on local halls, Google - via Panda tweaks - probably misinterpreted these posts as low-quality ("spammy") content because of their similarity to each other. Scheduling them in a repetitive 1-a-day manner also probably isn't helping, though we don't yet know for sure (Google, as always, is keeping their algorithm under wraps). I'll offer you some advice that Leah Baade gave me in a recent interview with Linkbuildr:

Pages with original, quality content, lots of backlinks, and low bounce rates will rank higher. Focus on your keyword strategy and SEO your content. And authority is key. It’s not going to be enough to outsource your copy to just anyone any more. Your content needs to be really good, written by real experts in your niche, or at least someone who will spend the time to thoroughly research the topic. Posts need to be longer than before to have impact – think at least 1,000 words, or even upwards or 2,000 or 3,000 words in length. Guest posting also works in your favour – get your name out there and start writing or providing interviews for other sites.

In short, even if it's not as convenient for your readers, I'd plump up your posts substantially (more text, maybe embed a photo or youtube video of the hall), schedule them a bit more erratically (even a few a day, if you like), and build your brand as a reliable authority on the topic. Post articles written by local wedding planners about which halls are best, etc.

Google's latest update is helping the unique quality content carrying websites and the websites doing ethical SEO works.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts