James Whittaker explains why he left Google

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought this was an extremely interesting read as it shows some of the inner workings of how Google is operating:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jw_on_tech/archive/2012/03/13/why-i-left-google.aspx

His third paragraph sums it up nicely:

Quote:
The Google I was passionate about was a technology company that empowered its employees to innovate. The Google I left was an advertising company with a single corporate-mandated focus.

As an outsider I have noticed over the years how Google has changed too with results not seeming as good as they once were. I had always thought since they went public that their focus has kind of shifted, but as James explains I think it was probably a combination of factors and the primary being the threat of Facebook and how they know more about their visitors than Google does. I am sure combined with the fact they need to meet investors expectations creates a scenario where they get distracted and maybe going in the wrong direction.

Quote:
Google could still put ads in front of more people than Facebook, but Facebook knows so much more about those people. Advertisers and publishers cherish this kind of personal information, so much so that they are willing to put the Facebook brand before their own. Exhibit A: http://www.facebook.com/nike, a company with the power and clout of Nike putting their own brand after Facebook’s? No company has ever done that for Google and Google took it personally.

In my opinion I think Google should just focus on what they do best: search. I feel like they are trying to get their hands into everything. I mean even forums dedicated for webmasters, Ozzu, at one time was number one for that term. Guess who is number one now? Yup, Google. I am not saying Ozzu necessarily deserves to be number one, but surely there is a better webmaster forum out their than Google's. Take a look at some of the other products they have:

http://www.google.com/about/products/

I don't think James really says, but my impression from reading some of the comments below his article is that he left for Microsoft. For me it is hard to believe he could find much of a difference over there, as they seem like they like to push products down consumers throats as well for a corporate agenda. Maybe I am wrong though, I believe he had once worked for Microsoft before so maybe he was going to give it another shot. Also I haven't really seen anything innovative come from them anymore, Apple seems like it may have been a better choice for him to run to.

What are your guy's thoughts?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ironically I found this post on my facebook wall feed...hmmmmm...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Apple is going to dive into the TV market, and pull a lot of advertising back onto a TV-like platform from the Internet.

Most people I run into these days are paranoid about the behavioral information collected about them online. They would rather just sit through TV commercials anonymously than worry about being watched online.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts