Link Exchange versus Link Trade

• batu544
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • batu544
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the basic difference between these link exchange and link trade? Which will help to increase the ranking of my website in Google? Link exchange or link trading?

I am little bit confused on using any free script for this thing, as you will find plenty out there. Could anyone please help me on this?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not consider myself an SEO expert. Not even close, in fact. However, I do understand some things about it, and am capable of researching other lesser known aspects. I also consider myself somewhat competent to answer questions where my knowledge is mediocre. That being said, I'll attempt an answer.

First of all, "Link Trade" per se, doesn't exist. OK before you say that ATNO doesn't know what he is talking about let's test it out on our "beloved Google". Seriously, you should all know that you can "google" the definition of a word, by typing "define:" followed by the word or term you want to define. So let's try it. Type into Google the following exactly as shown:
define: link exchange
define: link trade

OK, so what happens. for link exchange, you get several related definitions, however what happens with link trade?
Quote:
No definitions were found for "link trade".

Let's just take the words out of SEO context for a moment. In the English language, exchange and trade, are in most respects synonymous. One definition of exchange for example is "the act of giving something in return for something received". One definition of trade is "exchange or give (something) in exchange for "

Let's take a look at the Wikipedia definition for link exchange. A true "link exchange" is nothing like what some of you "define" it to be.
Quote:
A link exchange is a confederation of websites that operates similarly to a web ring. Webmasters register their web sites with a central organization, that runs the exchange, and in turn receive from the exchange HTML code which they insert into their web pages. In contrast to a web ring, where the HTML code simply comprises simple circular ring navigation hyperlinks, in a link exchange the HTML code causes the display of banner advertisements, for the sites of other members of the exchange, on the member web sites, and webmasters have to create such banner advertisements for their own web sites.

The banners are downloaded from the exchange. A monitor on the exchange determines, from referral information supplied by web browsers, how many times a member web site has displayed the banner advertisements of other members, and credits that member with a number of displays of its banner on some other member's web site. Link exchanges usually operate on a 2:1 ratio, such that for every two times a member shows a second member's banner advertisement, that second member displays the first member's banner advertisement. This page impressions:credits ratio is the exchange rate.

The wiki page also notes an advantage and disadvantage to link exchange.
Quote:
Link exchanges have advantages and disadvantages from the point of view of those using the World Wide Web for marketing. On the one hand, they have the advantages of bringing in a highly targeted readership (for link exchanges where all members of the exchange have similar web sites), of increasing the "link popularity" of a site with Web search engines, and of being relatively stable methods of hyperlinking. On the other hand, they have the disadvantages of potentially distracting visitors away to other sites before they have fully explored the site that the original link was on.

I think what some of you may be doing is defining link exchange and also perhaps link trade, to be "reciprocal linking" where you do a one on one "trade" with a website of common content or more appropriately two-way linking. This is now what most people use the term link exchange to represent -- two-way linking (a.k.a. reciprocal linking, a.k.a. link trading).

To attempt to answer the question of which will help increase your ranking? In reality neither. First of all, if your site sucks, and the content is lousy, it's going nowhere to begin with. But if you must concern yourself with links, both in bound and out bound, you just simply can't limit yourself to link exchange (or trade if you prefer). There are way more methods of linking websites. You really should get familiar with a few of them.

Quote:
# 1 Reciprocal link

* 1.1 Relevant linking
* 1.2 Three way linking
* 1.3 Two-Way-Linking (Link exchange)

# 2 One-way linking
# 3 Multi-way linking
# 4 Link campaign
# 5 Incestuous linking
# 6 Overlinking
# 7 Underlinking
# 8 Link doping
# 9 Free for all linking
# 10 Link popularity
# 11 Link bait

* 11.1 Link bait in search engine optimization
* 11.2 Types of link bait

# 12 Forum signature linking
# 13 Link broker
# 14 Blind link
# 15 Blog comments

To answer your last question, using a free script isn't a bad thing, however, you really should make a small amount of effort to know who you are exchanging links with. I have seen instances where some parties use "questionable" techniques with their scripts that could pose security risks.

The bottom line and gist of this post is, in most cases you aren't going to find locked in stone answers on forums such as this one. Most people on forums give opinions, without a whole lot to back them up. If you expect and intend to succeed in this industry (or any industry) for that matter, you can't just ask such basic questions on a forum and expect it to be spoon fed to you. You need to get out there, research it, learn what it is, then experiment and use your own experiences, in addition to what you read from others to determine what works best for you.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts