Page Rank Update Megathread (update 31.12.2009)

• ccb056
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

my forum's main page is a pr6, and the topics have a pr4
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Shrek_Update
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

we finally made to PR7 :) but backlinks are old, hm
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

That may be because the number of back links from Ozzu forum has gone down according to when I had a look on my site. However the number of back links on average went up for me.
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just checked. My backlinks went from 11 to 48. I haven't seen any PR changes though.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,
exactly how many more new topics are you going to post abt google update??
I have just read yr previous post.
now, I am reading the same stuffs from the same guy again.
what the point mate?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, bbott1982, you don't need to bring this topic up every day, but it does indeed look like there's an update about to start.

I signed up for the Google alerts a few weeks ago, and just received a list of changes on a link: query to one of my sites.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Something IS afoot at Google ...

My links dropped to 23 from 40 ... the links showing now are the ones missing from back in Feb-Mar. Almost all are newly listed (not contained in the 40 showing from this morning).

Hope this is just one of the Google Dances and it will straighten itself back out.

PR is unchanged :)

Anyone else seeing strange things with back links?
  • Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Anyone else seeing strange things with back links?

Yeah i see something strange and I don't like it - eventhough it might be fair enough :cry:

I have checked all the ODP editor sites that I know and backlinks from editor profiles are not showing in the backlinks right now. I hope that is only temporarly...I know some would say that this is only fair sice these links often generates a PR6 or PR7...

I hate this update and really hope it is only just begun...please Google don't let this be what I have waited for :shock:

My backlinks went from 93 to 23. I have some pages showing a PR of 5 with no backlinks?
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have 100+ backlinks with PR0...go figure
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had 181 backlinks for both my domain names...
now im down to 5 on both....no way
  • eCommando
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • eCommando
  • Loc: California, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see a lot of sites with many more backlinks showing up now. The thing is none of these sites have any new PR. Same PR as before. 1 site went from under 1000 backlinks to 9000 backllinks. PR staying the same.
  • DavyDuke17
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • DavyDuke17

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mine went up a little bit...but I am seeing sites with ODP data linking to me with PR of 0 in my backlinks alot...Also it seems like there are many backlinks over PR4 that were there last update that have dissapeared. Very weird.
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is quite a strange update. I have checked most of the forums and everyone confirmed no PR Update. Our site Backward Links went from 239 to 721 (but no PR change).

Even more importantly it is showing even links with PR 1-3 also as before it was only PR4 or above.

So what you all guys think that google is upto ?

And if any notice a change in PR do update us on the forum.

Cheers,
Vijay Bhatter
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know... but I've seen PR0-3 pages showing up in the backlinks results on the LAST update too, not just this one.

I've heard speculation that Google maybe mixing the backlinks results to prevent people from harvesting high PR sites pointing to their competitors to gather more backlinks for themselves.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"I've heard speculation that Google maybe mixing the backlinks results to prevent people from harvesting high PR sites pointing to their competitors to gather more backlinks for themselves." - but don't we have tools like PROG that allow us to see PR anway? If that were the case then they sould just stop showing PR.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any one notice that there are database type links this time also?

I have one link listed in my backlinks as ... http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/links/rate.cgi?ID=483. I let that one drop because I did not expect credit for this type of link.

Another one has my complete URL listed in the content of the page, but the link is ... http://www.domain.com/redirect.php/action/links/goto/58?

Interesting backlinks. :)
Guess I have to review those sites that are not direct links?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

phaugh wrote:
"I've heard speculation that Google maybe mixing the backlinks results to prevent people from harvesting high PR sites pointing to their competitors to gather more backlinks for themselves." - but don't we have tools like PROG that allow us to see PR anway? If that were the case then they sould just stop showing PR.

From what I've heard it's specifically because we CAN now so easily see the PR that Google are changing this.

Before, even if you got a list of somebody's backlinks, it was still a lot of work to visit each of these sites, get the PR through the toolbar, and figure out who was worth trading a link with, or convincing to link to you.

Now, it's a lot easier to see at a glance on a page who is high PR, which seems to be why the backlinks lists have become a little muddied, showing many more PR0-3 pages, and actually not showing all high PR pages in the results (I've seen many large sites LOSE big numbers backlinks SERPS, yet in reality, the pages linking to their URL has actually gone up).
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seems like a lot of work for Google to protect MY backlinks. I think there is a deeper point we are missing here. The problem is that by the time the links are reported as backlinks your competition has 1-2 months jump on you.

Backlinks and PR is easy to get. I put my link harvester up here:
http://www.mrktcity.com/linkpr.html

I can take any link page and pull all the external links ... then query all the site PR's from Google.

PROG was so much better because it gave the page rank of the page containing the link.

Next week Ill put my database link harvester out there....
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm seeing internal backlinks that are 5 clicks away from a PR5 page....these pages have always had low PR..1 or 2. My internal pages that are linked directly to the front page (PR5) are not all listed...and the PR indicator on the toolbar says the pages are PR0...anyone else see this type of behavior?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

dmoz.org editor link does show up - well mine does :P

back links from OZZU have gone :cry: but it has not hit bigwebmaster.com in any other way. This is weird cos other forum links are showing up including phpBB.com that never used to show up. Sites with less than PR4 are also showing up however ranking has not changed.
  • dprichard
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Clearwater Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it is over yet. I have been reading in some other forums and a lot of users are saying the same things. Everyone say BL updates but no real serp movement and no PR updates on pages. I would have to think that this was some sort of hiccup or algo change versus an update.

:shock:
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still don't see any changes in PR ... especially for new pages that would normally be updated after a regular BL update.

Does this update really count, or is it simply an algorithm change?

I still stick to my prediction that the REAL update won't happen until Aug 4-5. :lol:
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

This looks more like a glitch in the system than an update....there are simply unexplainable things. People are wildly speculating that the backlinks showing now could be future pages that will have PR4 or higher...but based on my site strucutre it's impossible for that to happen. It's almost looks like the backlinks that are showing are the page that won't have good PR....I have about 100 pages added last month that are showing up as backlinks and none of my other pages are showing up...these new pages are so far down the site strucutre that they could not get PR 4
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, it looks like they may be showing pages that are PR0-3 only, and ditching the PR4 pages from the listings to prevent people stealing others' high PR backlinks.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

erm I wish Axe :)

Think your basing that on Ozzu back links
http://www.webmasterbrain.com/prog/sear ... com&num=10

All my site like are showing all PR pages that link to you. Check out:
http://www.webmasterbrain.com/prog/sear ... .uk&num=10

Very little or no change in ranking.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
erm I wish Axe :)

Think your basing that on Ozzu back links.

Actually, I didn't even look at the Ozzu backlinks. It was a theory I'd seen mentioned in a few places, and a couple of my domains are showing up 1500 backlinks, but almost all of the URLs that come up in those results were PR0-3 pages.

IF the theory has any truth to it, it could be that the PR4+ pages being shown in backlinks now are simply waiting to drop. PR didn't change during this "update".

But, without seeing what happens on the next full PR/Backlinks update, it's going to be impossible to say.
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm giving up on trying to track pr/backlink updates. They're so random there is no point.

Better off to just keep working on your site getting backlinks and optimizing it - when the update does occur you'll have a present for that day :) and hopefully your hardwork will have paid off.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

People who do SEO for a living, can't pay their bills with hope ;)

Of course, the backlinks are only one small aspect of SEO.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you really think google cares that people try to get good backlinks....if so they could just eliminate or devalue the backlink portion of the algo...this would be allot easier than displaying bogus baclinks...they screwed up...It's just like the florida update...something is going to happen but we won't know what until it happens.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

They might care if they've seen a huge load on their servers now that there's a PR checksum code out there for the masses.

If everybody's now checking all the backlinks easily and pulling out the high PR pages, it can seriously muddy their results.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 740 posts